Delay when shifting from R to D

Elbass74

:
Mazda cx-5 touring 2015
I've seen a few different threads on this issue and it's been something I've noticed with my 2015 CX-5, so just wanted to check in with people and see what is normal. Since bringing mine home new when backing out of the driveway in the morning, if I drop it in to drive and step on the gas immediately, the engine will rev and drop into gear giving the passengers a bit of a jerk. If I wait a couple seconds there are no issues, nor does it have problems shifting after driving...only after it has sat for many hours.

As this is my first Mazda and my first automatic transmission in awhile, I always kind of wrote it off as a quirk. But it does seem like people reporting similar issues are being found to have defective transmissions. Is this something I should be concerned about, or do most of you find that first shift in the morning a little slow to kick in?

I have a 2015 Touring, and before that a 2013 Touring. I did not encounter this problem in either one of them.

A minor delay is normal especially when the AT is cold. The reports from others are very long delays, do it all the time, and involve 2016's.

If concerned, there is a TSB where it can be instructed to re-learn shifter positions that can help with shift shock. Dealer can do it (or you can too, its easy). They'll check for a software update also.

Last edited:
A minor delay is normal especially when the AT is cold. The reports from others are very long delays, do it all the time, and involve 2016's.

If concerned, there is a TSB where it can be instructed to re-learn shifter positions that can help with shift shock. Dealer can do it (or you can too, its easy). They'll check for a software update also.

Thank you for the information, very helpful. Next oil change I'll mention it and see if the software needs an update.

Thank you for the information, very helpful. Next oil change I'll mention it and see if the software needs an update.
What's your car's build date? It's on the sticker on the inside frame, driver side door.

Back