AWD vs FWD for "enthusiast" driving

My JGC was very smooth. GREAT on-road manners. I did run Bilsteins, though. E-diffs front/rear, SRA.

The grand cherokee is a unibody design. Made by AMC and sold to Jeep/Chrysler actually. My step-mom's went for 300k before the tranny finally went out. :) Bullet proof, those things.

Last edited:
I have found trail-braking too much in the AWD CX5 leads to pushing. It's not a very neutral vehicle. I come in VERY LIGHTLY on the brake for the first 1/3 of the corner, then a smooth transition to WOT. The AWD sticks it.

I'd say that if the front is pushing, you've overcooked it a bit. I've trail braked this car, and it does make the rear "dance" a bit, but that's just the weight transfer. Like Chris was saying a beefier sway bar would likely smooth that out. Actually, when done intentionally, I can get the car to rotate a bit on the brakes helping my turn in. When done accidentally, it can get sketchy...:D

In the end though, I agree, with the AWD you can use the traction to pull the car out of the corner nicely, even if the entrance/mid corner isn't so neat.

The grand cherokee is a unibody design. Made by AMC and sold to Jeep/Chrysler actually. My step-mom's went for 300k before the tranny finally went out. :) Bullet proof, those things.

if mine had been bulletproof, I'd still be in it. I LOVED THAT VEHICLE! Sadly, it broke all the damn time, which led to the knee-jerk purchase of the highest rated vehicle I could find in 3 hours before the dealerships opened, for a good deal, the last time the CEL came on and I lost my s*** with that thing.

I'd say that if the front is pushing, you've overcooked it a bit. I've trail braked this car, and it does make the rear "dance" a bit, but that's just the weight transfer. Like Chris was saying a beefier sway bar would likely smooth that out. Actually, when done intentionally, I can get the car to rotate a bit on the brakes helping my turn in. When done accidentally, it can get sketchy...:D

In the end though, I agree, with the AWD you can use the traction to pull the car out of the corner nicely, even if the entrance/mid corner isn't so neat.

Agreed. I'm just used to more neutral cars with about 2-3x as much power as the CX-5, and so I can easily fix a messy corner entry. With the CX-5...you got what you got.

NO comparison! Drove them back to back yesterday, aggressively, on the same twisty route. AWD takes FWD on several points. Car definitely feels more planted. Not sure if that is from the extra weight of the AWD mechanism? Did not feel a difference between the two when it came to various aspects including tossability, speed, input, fun factor, etc. In sport mode, FWD wheels break loose accelerating hard from stop. AWD simply launches, level and straight. The AWD is much better on tight turn exit. On the skid pad, also known as small traffic circle, there is no comparison. FWD very jittery with the car breaking loose much earlier. Also noticed the FWD gets quite light coming over small rises at speed.

Sport mode shifting is a hoot.

A worthy stablemate to the modified MX-5. More practical and almost as much fun.

I take delivery Saturday morning.

Last edited:
My last 5 cars have all been AWD, now you know why.

Can't say my next 5 will be AWD. I plan on keeping this baby for quite some time! I have never been "pumped" about the compact suv category since it's inception. Until now.

Well done Mazda!

NO comparison! Drove them back to back yesterday, aggressively, on the same twisty route. AWD takes FWD on several points. Car definitely feels more planted. Not sure if that is from the extra weight of the AWD mechanism? Did not feel a difference between the two when it came to various aspects including tossability, speed, input, fun factor, etc. In sport mode, FWD wheels break loose accelerating hard from stop. AWD simply launches, level and straight. The AWD is much better on tight turn exit. On the skid pad, also known as small traffic circle, there is no comparison. FWD very jittery with the car breaking loose much earlier. Also noticed the FWD gets quite light coming over small rises at speed.

Sport mode shifting is a hoot.

A worthy stablemate to the modified MX-5. More practical and almost as much fun.

I take delivery Saturday morning.

Well...yeah. I've been saying all of that since the beginning of the thread, lol!

You know another thing I learned? When you have a VERY steep drive-way or access road that goes onto a level road, and you need to punch it because that's in a curve, or a busy road, FWD sucks ass. RWD is better, but still has issues. AWD? It owns that situation.

Well...yeah. I've been saying all of that since the beginning of the thread, lol!

Yeah, I know. Had to experience it for myself. But I will say your comments helped get me away from the FWD which is where I was first leaning. Also agree that this vehicle is more a "package deal" and will not be modifying it with things like beefier sways, etc. For what it is, it's fine. My MX-5 has enough mods for both vehicles!

Rant:
What the heck is meant by "spirited driving?" What is meant by "enthusiast driving?" Aren't you supposed to obey traffic and safety laws? If it's raining, snowing or if roads are slippery, slow down. Drive according to weather conditions. What does having AWD have to do with anything? People relying on AWD instead of driving safely? Go slow around sharp curves and bends. Many have speed limits. Seems to me people feel they have AWD they can take bends like they're on a NASCAR track and take off in rain and snow with abandon by what I've read on here. Geeze.

I have a 2003 BMW, Rear Wheel Drive. Never had a problem in 13 years driving in rain and snow. Same with my 2009 Pontiac Vibe. FWD No problems going up hills in snow and rain, even from a stop. I just take it slow.

Going to pick up my Mazda CX-5 Sport 2.5L tomorrow and I refused to accept AWD and it took the dealer almost a week to locate a FWD for me. Saved a ton of money by getting FWD and one less thing to worry about when the car needs future repairs. (I plan on keeping the Mazda for at least 15 years, hopefully longer). Same with not having all the bells and whistles. I don't need the car to put on the brakes for me. I am supposed to pay attention when I drive.

Besides, why buy an AWD car when I may only have to use the AWD 4 or 5 times a year? Pay $1,500 more? No way.
Rant over.

Rant:
What the heck is meant by "spirited driving?" What is meant by "enthusiast driving?" Aren't you supposed to obey traffic and safety laws? If it's raining, snowing or if roads are slippery, slow down. Drive according to weather conditions. What does having AWD have to do with anything? People relying on AWD instead of driving safely? Go slow around sharp curves and bends. Many have speed limits. Seems to me people feel they have AWD they can take bends like they're on a NASCAR track and take off in rain and snow with abandon by what I've read on here. Geeze.

I have a 2003 BMW, Rear Wheel Drive. Never had a problem in 13 years driving in rain and snow. Same with my 2009 Pontiac Vibe. FWD No problems going up hills in snow and rain, even from a stop. I just take it slow.

Going to pick up my Mazda CX-5 Sport 2.5L tomorrow and I refused to accept AWD and it took the dealer almost a week to locate a FWD for me. Saved a ton of money by getting FWD and one less thing to worry about when the car needs future repairs. (I plan on keeping the Mazda for at least 15 years, hopefully longer). Same with not having all the bells and whistles. I don't need the car to put on the brakes for me. I am supposed to pay attention when I drive.

Besides, why buy an AWD car when I may only have to use the AWD 4 or 5 times a year? Pay $1,500 more? No way.
Rant over.

While you're absolutely entitled to your opinion, those of us with AWD and having driven vehicles without AWD, know exactly the benefits of AWD. No sense in trying to convince people like you who are anti AWD why we prefer it. As for what is "spirited driving", I don't know what to say to that lol It has nothing to do with not obeying traffic laws. Which begs the question, why are you buying a Mazda? Mazda themselves lives by the stance "Driving Matters". Clearly you don't have the same feelings and understanding of that statement. Again, I'm not going to waste my time explaining AWD to you as I know it won't change your stance. But either way, congrats on the new ride.

Go slow around sharp curves and bends....
I have a 2003 BMW, Rear Wheel Drive. ... I just take it slow.

So you are one of these BMW owners that on a sunny day, with good asphalt, would be going way to slow on a curve for what the car can safely do, only to slow me and everyone else down, when I drove my wife's former Prius, with narrow LRR tires that were geared for fuel economy and not for grip and not very much power on tap ...
I never understood why pay for performance vehicles when you drive them slow, especially in corners and curves.
Of course, on wet or icy roads enthusiasm is dialed down, unless driving in an empty lot.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. Had to experience it for myself. But I will say your comments helped get me away from the FWD which is where I was first leaning. Also agree that this vehicle is more a "package deal" and will not be modifying it with things like beefier sways, etc. For what it is, it's fine. My MX-5 has enough mods for both vehicles!
Oh yes! Once you drive them both, you understand! Much safer, and surefooted! ENJOY!!!

While you're absolutely entitled to your opinion, those of us with AWD and having driven vehicles without AWD, know exactly the benefits of AWD. No sense in trying to convince people like you who are anti AWD why we prefer it. As for what is "spirited driving", I don't know what to say to that lol It has nothing to do with not obeying traffic laws. Which begs the question, why are you buying a Mazda? Mazda themselves lives by the stance "Driving Matters". Clearly you don't have the same feelings and understanding of that statement. Again, I'm not going to waste my time explaining AWD to you as I know it won't change your stance. But either way, congrats on the new ride.

So what are the benefits, in your own words. I'm not asking you to sell me on it, just tell me what sold you on AWD.

Increased traction at all times.

Never having the traction control kick in and drop your revs like the FWD would.

Better handling performance, car is more neutral handling, much less understeer.

Downsides of AWD :

Increased curb weight

Increased tire wear

Increased fuel consumption

Increased maintenance costs

Last edited:
So what are the benefits, in your own words. I'm not asking you to sell me on it, just tell me what sold you on AWD.

Again, there are many benefits, but it all depends on what you will be doing with the vehicle. If you plan on just driving on dry, paved, smooth, straight and level roads, then the benefits are diminished.

However, if you are driving on wet, snowy, uneven, twisty, and sometimes unpaved roads, then the AWD is a great plus. The AWD in the Mazda works on DRY pavement in turns and at acceleration. It also makes the vehicle more stable in turns and acceleration on dry pavement.

From Mazda:

Over 200 calculations per second are done with the AWD system. The Mazda AWD system analyzes real-time data on steering angle, yaw rate, lateral G-force, outside temperatures, wiper sensor and engine status to establish up-to-minute road surface conditions, and the vehicle's dynamic status. It gives the perfect amount of torque where it is most needed, and have a performance reaction that leaves conventional gear- or fluid-controlled systems in the dust. Front/rear torque distribution varies from 100/0 to 50/50.

This is an "on-demand" all wheel drive system. Under normal driving conditions, only one axle is powered. Advanced electronically controlled all wheel drive systems like the Mazda CX5 are proactive and lock the traction control device even before wheels start to slip - the need for all wheel drive is determined in real time, based on the information that is collected from various sensors (i.e. g-force sensor, accelerator pedal position, etc.).

Last edited:

Other members have explained the benefits. And also those times where I have to swerved really quickly to avoid a car or from a car hitting me, overtake to pass someone in inclement weather, etc. Awd is right there to assure better traction and I get where I'm going safely. I love it. Not to mention like others have said, the Mazda system is highly advanced. Plus I can take turns quicker, and tighter with help of the awd system. Allows me to surprisingly have fun in a cuv. Never thought I'd say that.

Living in Minnesota, just zig-zagging pass at least 7-8 FWD cars got stuck on an uphill road on its first winter made the AWD totally justified for me :)

Rant:

Rant over.

Driving your vehicle based it it's performance capabilities, and your capabilities as the operator. Not "relying on AWD instead of driving safely". It's understanding the handling and traction characteristics obtained by AWD, and utilizing them. I see people spin their FWD cars (or common RWD trucks) in the rain simply because they put too much throttle for their vehicle, based on whatever conditions (dry or wet; and most importantly, that individual as the driver, exceeding a limitation on their car. I pretty much don't ever need to modulate my throttle from a start to combat wheel slip, because my AWD system basically prevents wheel spin under most normal dry/wet conditions. Therefore, I don't need to drive (accelerate) especially different just because it's wet. Yea, I may slow down at the curve where on a dry day I would not, but that depends on the curve, my speed and the road condition. I don't need to slow my CX-5 down around a curve like a larger vehicle does, so unless there is some other reason to do so, I don't. I don't drive my CX-5 the same way as a pickup truck (esp in the rain) because my CX-5 has different handling qualities than a pickup truck. If someone wants/needs to drop 10 or 15 mph on a curve because of their vehicle limitations or their driving capabilities, that's fine. Often times people are slowing down unnecessarily because they simply aren't ahead of the car (really thinking about what to do next), timid, or have no real idea of the characteristics of their vehicle so they just simply slow down.

"Drive according to weather conditions. " - For sure, however this does not mean that because it's raining you need to automatically drive 10mph below the speed limit. That's just a knee jerk vs critical thinking. Again, whether you need to go 10mph slower depends on the intensity and capabilities of your vehicle (worn tires maybe? worn brakes? poor wipers? towing?)

"Besides, why buy an AWD car when I may only have to use the AWD 4 or 5 times a year? Pay $1,500 more? No way." -- that's the difference between shopping based on marketing, and shopping based on your own actual wants, needs and understanding what AWD actually does for your vehicle. That statement alone implies the very common train of thought that AWD or 4x4 is for off-roading/snow.

"FWD No problems going up hills in snow and rain, even from a stop. I just take it slow." I wouldn't doubt your statement for a minute, as usual you drive your vehicle (or should) in a given situation based on it's performance capabilities vs whatever the road condition or task at hand is.

"I don't need the car to put on the brakes for me. I am supposed to pay attention when I drive." - Yea, and paying attention is more than simply looking out the window and reacting to what you see at a given moment. Being aware of your situation and acting accordingly, because you actually know the factors involved is way better. Slowing down simply because you come to a curve, without actually thinking if you need to slow down or not and why, is very inefficient. It's why you see people speeding up and constantly putting their brakes on, then repeating, because they aren't thinking about the situation and anticipating. Or why there is commonly an unnecessary slow down at an on ramp because drivers don't speed up or slow down to join the highway in a manner they aren't converging with a car already on the highway. It's just a poor process all around.

If I flew a plane like that it would be an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Rant:

Rant over.

Why buy a CX-5, if not for the performance? It's behind every other vehicle in its class in most meaningful ways, aside from that.

Back