when can we expect 2017 CX5 info and release date?

CaboWabo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Bose/moonroof, sonic silver
So when will we start getting info about the 2017 CX-5's? I'm wondering what changes they will make? And when can we expect the 2017's to hit the dealerships?

I'm ready to buy a 2016...but I waited so long...I'm wondering if I should just hold out to see what's new on the 2017.
I understand that the 2016 was a major refresh, so I'm not expecting any major changes...but there's always a few additions. If I had to guess....I would say they probably add the popup heads-up display over the instrument cluster like the CX3 has. And probably also the paddle shifters. Probably a couple new color choices, wheel styles, and interior grey would be nice too. I really hope they DON'T move the infotainment screen up above the dash in a tablet style like on the cx3. My ultimate wish would be for Mazda to offer the sonic silver exterior with the parchment interior.

IMO...probably spring of '16. Release will probably be similar to the way the '15's came out in early '14. I don't think tablet style infotainment will show up in CX-5 until the '18 or '19 redesign.

So when will we start getting info about the 2017 CX-5's? I'm wondering what changes they will make? And when can we expect the 2017's to hit the dealerships?

I'm ready to buy a 2016...but I waited so long...I'm wondering if I should just hold out to see what's new on the 2017.
I understand that the 2016 was a major refresh, so I'm not expecting any major changes...but there's always a few additions. If I had to guess....I would say they probably add the popup heads-up display over the instrument cluster like the CX3 has. And probably also the paddle shifters. Probably a couple new color choices, wheel styles, and interior grey would be nice too. I really hope they DON'T move the infotainment screen up above the dash in a tablet style like on the cx3. My ultimate wish would be for Mazda to offer the sonic silver exterior with the parchment interior.

I was in your shoe exactly one year ago. Last year, new information became available on the 2016 at the LA auto Show, which was on Nov 19th and 2016 CX-5's showed up at dealer in the New York area at the end of Feb. I bought mine at the beginning of March. If they follow the same schedule then info would be available at the LA Auto show which will be from Nov 20-29th. Per their press release page, they will announce new CX-9 at the LA Auto Show

patient is a virtue! Wait a bit longer and you can pay less for 2016 model if you feel the updates are not worth it; or pay more to get 2017 model if you feel changes are worth the wait.

IMO...probably spring of '16. Release will probably be similar to the way the '15's came out in early '14. I don't think tablet style infotainment will show up in CX-5 until the '18 or '19 redesign.

Do they traditionally release the CX-5 in the Spring, or did they do it different this year because of the mid cycle refresh? I would wonder if it would shift back to the typical time they release a new model.

Really don't think opinions matter here. The date is the date. Speculation means nothing.

IMO, while there might be minor differences, they'll be exactly that: minor. Waiting for the 2016s made sense because of the refresh, if you really wanted the new infotainment, etc. For me, the $$ in savings over a 2017 would be worth more. If you are not picky, you could wait to the last minute and make a decision then, which means you could end-up with a 2016 configuration which might not be your first choice. Or, simply get the car now. Some dealers do black-Friday sales.

'17 will likely have a few of the options available on models outside of the NA market. I imagine something like memory settings for the driver's seat is a given. Not sure if they will bring something like i-ELOOP though...

They probably not release the 2017 CX-5 this year but a new version of CX-9.

what you might expect would be:
memory seat
i-loop system
power rear gate
paddle shifters

It is only my guess.

I'd be surprised if power rear gate shows in NA as this option isn't available on CX-5 in other markets around the world. Not even sure how easy that would be to implement without re-engineering parts of the rear body.

I'd be surprised if power rear gate shows in NA as this option isn't available on CX-5 in other markets around the world. Not even sure how easy that would be to implement without re-engineering parts of the rear body.

I much prefer the manual lift, it is balanced well and effortless. My wife's Odyssey is a pain regarding the liftgate. After pressing the button, it beeps to warn, then slowly moves up or down. Meanwhile, I could have had it open, closed and on my way. This is particularly frustrating in the rain. Too slow.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the manual transmission in '17. Likely, it will remain at the base model or be eliminated altogether. I was always hoping for a mid-level trim model with a manual and that delayed my purchase for three years. I finally caved and bought a '16.

Last edited:
Yeah a power liftgate is gimmicky to me. I hope its never standard on a CX5. Its just slow and annoying. You can just open and close the door effortlessly with your own hands. Why be so lazy? I think if I had a powerliftgate especially the kick version on the Escape, Id probably just use it one time to show off to friends and that's it.
Memory seat wont benefit me either, as I'm the only driver.
Paddle shifters I can live without. I think the slap shift on the shift lever is just fine.
ILoop I don't really want. Theres been problems with it.
So I'm making an educated guess that getting a 2016 at a lower price is the way to go for me.

Last edited:
I much prefer the manual lift, it is balanced well and effortless. My wife's Odyssey is a pain regarding the liftgate. After pressing the button, it beeps to warn, then slowly moves up or down. Meanwhile, I could have had it open, closed and on my way. This is particularly frustrating in the rain. Too slow.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the manual transmission in '17. Likely, it will remain at the base model or be eliminated altogether. I was always hoping for a mid-level trim model with a manual and that delayed my purchase for three years. I finally caved and bought a '16.

We have a '15 Odyssey w/power liftgate. If you hold the external button down it should beep twice and allow for you to manually lift (at least ours does).

Mazda just did a mid cycle refresh so I expect the 17s do be carry overs? If so then the 16's would be selling for cheap early 2016.

Power liftgates are overrated. I have one on another SUV and it hiccuped already once and I cringe the day it breaks. Plus it makes the hatch so much heavier.

So when will we start getting info about the 2017 CX-5's? I'm wondering what changes they will make?
According to "New Cars for 2016" from Car and Driver September 2015 issue, Mazda6 has "a redesigned dashboard and center stack give the feeling of a more spacious cockpit without changing any hard points, and improved sound insulation is said to cut interior noise by as much as 25 percent. As on the CX-5, the headlights, grille, and taillights also get nip and tuck."

According to "New Cars for 2016" from Car and Driver September 2015 issue, Mazda6 has "a redesigned dashboard and center stack give the feeling of a more spacious cockpit without changing any hard points, and improved sound insulation is said to cut interior noise by as much as 25 percent. As on the CX-5, the headlights, grille, and taillights also get nip and tuck."

Yes the 2016 Mazda6 and 2016 Mazda CX-5 both got the updates listed above.

Also not mentioned directly, is that the 2016 CX-5 interior changes also included;

E-Brake Lever DELETE, changed to a Parking Brake switch.
Center Commander Switch addition.
SPORT Mode switch addition.
Mazda connect entertainment system.
Change from TOMTOM Navi module, to a NAVTEQ SD card.

Last edited:
Yes the 2016 Mazda6 and 2016 Mazda CX-5 both got the updates listed above.
Also not mentioned directly, is that the 2016 CX-5 interior changes also included;
E-Brake Lever DELETE, changed to a Parking Brake switch.
Center Commander Switch addition.
SPORT Mode switch addition.
Mazda connect entertainment system.
Change from TOMTOM Navi module, to a NAVTEQ SD card.
;)
Yeah, Car and Driver is talking about "New Cars for 2016", but the wording seems to reference to 2017 CX-5 as it qualified new CX-5 as having "minor trim changes" only.

Are you guys referring to the U.S. 2017 or the international 2017 model? The U.S. versions seem to arrive later. For example my U.S. 2016 Mazda6 was manufactured in November or December 2014 and I purchased it April 2015. Other countries already had this refreshed Mazda6 as a 2015 model for them. Possibly in 2014.

Confusing huh?

Back