2002 Protege Automatic to Manual Conversion

cbidwell

:
2002 Mazda Protege LX, 2009 Subaru WRX
Hello All,

I have recently found a full donor car at a local pick a part and was able to obtain the items listed below. This thread is not asking how hard this will be, or what will it cost, as I am going full force ahead with this and buying a manual protege is not an option for me. My current car was my grandparents and it has sentimental value to me that I would rather not give away, but wouldn't mind the fun factor of a manual.

Now that my intro is done, my question is this.....What else do I need? My question is directed more towards people who have ACTUALLY COMPLETED THIS SWAP as I found many threads already where there is A LOT of guessing. I don't mean to be so straight forward, but I'm trying to eliminate any unnecessary comments. All help is appreciated!!

Currently Acquired Parts List:
-Flywheel
-Transmission
-Brake Pedal Assembly
-Clutch Pedal Assembly
-Trans/Engine Mounts (May replace these for new)
-Intermediate Shaft
-Brake/Clutch Master cylinder
-Clutch Slave Cylinder
-Shifter and Solid Linkage
-Shifter Boot
-Shifter Bezel (not sure if needed, but it was $2)
-Manual ECU

Parts I think I need
-Manual Engine harness? If this is true, is it the entire engine harness or is it just a portion of the harness?
-Both CV shafts (Going new)
-Clutch (Going new)

This donor car literally had everything. All of this was purchased for $240!!! I really appreciate any help that can be provided.

Last edited:
The brake master cylinder is the same on auto and manual cars. The autos just have a plug where the hose attaches. You will also need the auto transmission cable block off plate from a manual car which will plug the hole where the auto shifter cables go through the firewall. Can't help you much with the wiring, but you will most likely need a harness and ECU from a manual car.

The brake master cylinder is the same on auto and manual cars. The autos just have a plug where the hose attaches. You will also need the auto transmission cable block off plate from a manual car which will plug the hole where the auto shifter cables go through the firewall. Can't help you much with the wiring, but you will most likely need a harness and ECU from a manual car.

Thank you. I already have the ECU so that part is done. I wonder what the complications would be if I didn't obtain that harness? Depending on what I would have to "live with" may determine if I want to swap harnesses. I do like to do things correctly though.

I also found this writeup online. Not sure how I missed it since it was even on this forum.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ficial-ATX-to-MTX-swap-parts-list-with-how-to

The harness will be different there is no way around it, you'll need to purchase it.

Also so depending on what year you have you may also require a new gauge cluster.

Also forgot you'll need the radiator out of a manual car as well.

Also forgot you'll need the radiator out of a manual car as well.

Real quick question. Why would I need a radiator? The manual trans doesn't utilize a cooler correct? I would assume I would just use the auto radiator and plug the trans line ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure if you wanted, but you said you do like to do things correctly.

I'm going to be doing the same at some point. My car has no value, but I want to do a swap just for the fun and challenge of it. You'll come across some unforeseen issues but if you're close to a salvage yard these cars aren't hard to find and parts are plenty. I want to do the four wheel disc upgrade too. I have 6 to choose from.

New question. I'm trying to figure out how if an abs harness will work with a non abs car without issue. I won't be installing the abs module so I don't foresee an issue. Would this cause a cruise control issue?

im going thru the same swap as you are currently.
I have a NON ABS car and install an ABS Harness

I did some research and the ABS connector does not go back to the ECU at all. Soo if you dont connect it in theory you should have NO ISSUES... BUT you will need to add a SPEEDO GEAR RING and order up a new VSS (vehicle Speed Sensor) for the NON abs car.

i removed my Cruise control completely to keep the swap as simple as possible

im going thru the same swap as you are currently.
I have a NON ABS car and install an ABS Harness

I did some research and the ABS connector does not go back to the ECU at all. Soo if you dont connect it in theory you should have NO ISSUES... BUT you will need to add a SPEEDO GEAR RING and order up a new VSS (vehicle Speed Sensor) for the NON abs car.

i removed my Cruise control completely to keep the swap as simple as possible

Quick question. What do you mean by the ring gear? The ring in the trans or the VSS? I took the dummy sensor out of the trans today and I found a pink ring gear inside. The trans was from a 2001 ABS Protege. I think I have some luck if this ring gear will work.
dc81d8eebec6f3ece4d3d98ccbe8251f.jpg

someone correct me if im wrong but all Manual trannies come with that SPEED RING, only the LSD trannys dont?

someone correct me if im wrong but all Manual trannies come with that SPEED RING, only the LSD trannys dont?

Correct. Since no MSP's were ever produced without ABS, Mazda saw fit to leave the speedo drive gear off the differential.

One thing I thought of that wasn't on your parts list is the metal hard line that runs from the master to the slave cylinder, and the soft line that attaches them. Also the shifter bezel is the same you just remove the black trim ring.

I have a non ABS MTX engine harness. I'm trying to manual swap an ABS car so an ABS harness would be useful. I'm open to trade with someone who needs a non ABS harness

I have a non ABS MTX engine harness. I'm trying to manual swap an ABS car so an ABS harness would be useful. I'm open to trade with someone who needs a non ABS harness

I've looked at a wiring diagram, and I don't see any difference between the two harnesses (ABS vs non ABS). The ABS system does not plug into the engine harness and the ABS harness also has a connector for the VSS which plugs into a dummy sensor. I could be wrong, but that's what I have found without actually completing the swap yet.

I just took a second look at that and you're right! Thanks. The wire connecting the ECU to the ABS module says ATX only.

Reference: Protege Workshop Manual; section 4-13-2 (http://web.archive.org/web/20050225002504/http://protege5.ugly.net/04-13.PDF)

That's what I used as well. So I went ahead and bought an abs manual harness because I believe they are identical. Again, I only have this manual for reference but I don't see a difference.

I just took apart my harness.. and removed all my ABS wires. Couple wires run to the grounds and to the Diagnostic Box. The harness will also have a couple ABS sensor plugs just cut and tape off

Back