Cranks, won't start

lcharliew

:
2002 Mazda Protege 2.0
I have a 2002 Protege with a 2.0 engine. It ran fine when I came home but now won't start.
Engine turns over just fine.
Fuel pump isn't working so I tried bypassing the fuel pump relay. When FPR was bypassed, fuel pump worked but car still would not fire.
Any suggestions?

sounds like you got some diagnosing to do, throwing new parts at it wont help, it will just cost you time and money, is there a cel?

I've read other threads where it was suggested there could be a link between this problem and the battery. I just put a new battery in it 2 weeks ago. May be coincidence.

Terminals are tight? good ground? Check the battery, cel= check engine light

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

No, have never had a check engine light come on on this car.
Terminals tight, good ground, new battery. Tried disconnecting battery and waiting 15 minutes and reconnecting. (suggested in another thread)

The wife assured me there was gas in it so the FIRST thing I did was put 2 gallons in it. Not a stupid question, thanks for asking

had to take it to a shop, no spark, no fuel being pumped either. Mechanic said he has 3 different computers but can't get any of them to get a reading off this car.

How do you know the fuel pump was working,by the sound? Were the plugs wet,did u look down plug holes with a light to see if tops of pistons were wet? standalone? Pull the plugs leave the wires on have your wife turn the ignition while you look and see if there's a spark on each plug.if so turn motor over with fuel pump off throttle wide open and blow out excess fuel with plugs out, but with a stock computer I don't think the motor will turn over with the fuel pump relay removed. With a stand alone you could turn the fuel all the way down but you can't obviously with a stock computer. Of course if you have a bad relay replace it. Also look at the magnetic end of the cam and crank sensor see if there are any metal attached to it like shavings for some reason check your ignition coils with a multimeter.

Last edited:
Disregard everything that guy said...

He's right my post made no sense-just buy a new cam and crank sensor and that will definitely fix it. Theres never a need to look further when such a brilliant one offers his wisdom!

Last edited:
Back