Misc CX-5 AWD technical info...

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
I was looking through the FSM tonight and hadn't noticed these pages. It gives you a little more info on what inputs affect AWD and a little general operation.

Last edited:
I have never really seen this referenced elsewhere but it sounds like a limited amount of power is diverted to rear for standing starts...as per the documentation at least.

I have never really seen this referenced elsewhere but it sounds like a limited amount of power is diverted to rear for standing starts...as per the documentation at least.

I'm not sure how you gleaned that info (although we do know the rear wheels get a maximum of 50% of the torque produced).

Last edited:
That looks very similar to their systems used on the MS6 and CX-7, even down to the control loop and clutch pack.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info as it seems there is not much information you can find on CX-5 AWD system. I'd imagine if CX-5's AWD system is very similar to CX-7's, then it should be the same as CX-9's?

In 2016 Mazda CX-5 price announcing letter by Mazda North American Operations (MNAO), it said: "Mazda's renowned AWD system is also updated for 2016."

Motor Trend also said on 2016 CX-5's: "All-wheel drive continues to be available for the Mazda CX-5, and the system has been updated to yield better real-world fuel economy."

But I was disappointment that the EPA fuel economy rating on AWD didn't get any improvement even though FWD did comparing to 2015's. The results are 2~3 mpg deficiency now between FWD and AWD. Other automakers have sacrificed 1 mpg at the most. Some even have the same mpg between FWD and AWD!

So does Mazda's AWD system really suck fuel efficiency wise?

Last edited:
I was looking through the FSM tonight and hadn't noticed these pages. It gives you a little more info on what inputs affect AWD and a little general operation.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-30%20at%204.13.10%20PM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-30%20at%204.13.31%20PM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-30%20at%204.16.10%20PM.jpg

Is this similar to the I-active AWD system in the CX-3? Do you think the 2017 CX-5 will have I-active AWD?

Back