2016 CX-5 Oil Change Frequency

Thanks for the input. The owner's manual says engine break-in occurs in the first 800 miles, hence my thought to change it at 1,000 miles. Based on the comments here I'll wait longer.

I will be doing my first oil change this weekend at 3000 miles.

Just received my goodies today from Medcenter Mazda.

Mazda dealer told me to do oil changes every 5k and at least one of them every 30k has to be done at the dealership to maintain their lifetime powertrain warranty.

Got my first oil change the Monday before Thanksgiving. I specifically asked for the Mazda Moly oil and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. He said no one has EVER requested it before (and he's been there for years). I pulled up on Amazon and showed him and he then went and got one of the shop guys. He came out with a box of it. He said they never use it, but rather use the barrel of Castrol. I wasn't up-charged with the upgraded oil. It was all free. He did say that my next oil change will be around $15-$20 more due to the upgraded oil. That's fine with me.

I've also decided to switch to the flexible oil monitoring rather than the fixed. I'll see how it works out.

I just did an oil change on my CX-5 with the Mazda moly GF-5 for $40 (including filter and delivery). It took less time than driving to one of those speedy oil change shops and far less than the dealer. I bought three oil change kits on-line, all OEM parts. Super easy.

I'm averaging just over 6,000 miles between changes but I'm sure I could go longer. Ironically, my best MPG since new was the last tank with the old used oil so it must still be slippery. Over 38 MPG and 521 miles on the tank, pretty good for an AWD CUV!

I think the molybdenum is the slickest stuff since electric starters!

That is really good! Is that 38 MPG all highway miles , mix or all city?

EDIT* . Actually just clicked the Fuelly link in your sig and saw it was 10% city.

# Date Miles Gallons MPG Price City % Note
67 5/15/15 517.00 13.518 38.24 2.899 10%

When you accelerate do you try to accelerate slowly with as little throttle as possible to keep shifts low (flat road) or quicker acceleration/higher rpms? Generally at what rpm does your car shift when accelerating?

Some people believe that less throttle lower rpm and slower acceleration gets better MPG than the normal throttle little bit higher acceleration. And then there are some that argue that, less throttle requires you to accelerate at a longer time, hence more throttle shorter acceleration is better. I’m just curious on how your driving behavior is with your 2.0 AWD cx-5.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Got my first oil change the Monday before Thanksgiving. I specifically asked for the Mazda Moly oil and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. He said no one has EVER requested it before (and he's been there for years). I pulled up on Amazon and showed him and he then went and got one of the shop guys. He came out with a box of it. He said they never use it, but rather use the barrel of Castrol. I wasn't up-charged with the upgraded oil. It was all free. He did say that my next oil change will be around $15-$20 more due to the upgraded oil. That's fine with me.

I've also decided to switch to the flexible oil monitoring rather than the fixed. I'll see how it works out.
Glad everything had worked out for you! From our CX-5 with 95% of city driving, my estimation of oil change interval on miles with flexible oil monitoring would be around 6,000~7,000 miles when the red "Oil Change Due" warning message popping up. In fact, the message was displayed on ours at 5,073 miles when the oil life still had 30%! The same message had displayed twice after I reset the flexible oil change monitoring and the oil life was 100%! If the message keeps popping up, I guess I have to visit my dealer then. :(

When you accelerate do you try to accelerate slowly with as little throttle as possible to keep shifts low (flat road) or quicker acceleration/higher rpms? Generally at what rpm does your car shift when accelerating?

When in the mountains, and my record breaking MPG run had a mountain leg (over the North Cascades), I'm often at 3-4000 rpm's. Running the engine a little harder once in a while seems to pay dividends later in the trip. I'm not sure what causes this but I've noticed if I try to baby the right foot all the time it can be difficult to maintain a high MPG figure. Obviously, the one thing that will ALWAYS reduce MPG figures is fast cruising speeds. Of course, if descending a long mountain grade leaves you at 85 mph, even with engine braking, it's best to go 85 mph (assuming it's safe to do so).

Some people believe that less throttle lower rpm and slower acceleration gets better MPG than the normal throttle little bit higher acceleration. And then there are some that argue that, less throttle requires you to accelerate at a longer time, hence more throttle shorter acceleration is better. I’m just curious on how your driving behavior is with your 2.0 AWD cx-5.

Thanks,

The Skyactiv G engines are quite efficient throughout their rev range so good MPG's is much more dependent upon how much you need to use the brakes than how fast you accelerate. My somewhat careful observations show that moderate acceleration at moderate rpm's is hard to beat (by a significant amount) by trying to baby the acceleration and shifting early. In fact, I think efficiency goes down when trying to gently pull out of very low rpm's in too high of a gear (even though the shift algorithms allow you to do this) so I always downshift (generally by making a small but sharp movement of the accelerator pedal) and get to my intended cruising speed a bit more quickly. As you ease off on the accelerator pedal the AT will grab the next gear and convert those engine rpm's into forward drive.

Glad everything had worked out for you! From our CX-5 with 95% of city driving, my estimation of oil change interval on miles with flexible oil monitoring would be around 6,000~7,000 miles when the red "Oil Change Due" warning message popping up. In fact, the message was displayed on ours at 5,073 miles when the oil life still had 30%! The same message had displayed twice after I reset the flexible oil change monitoring and the oil life was 100%! If the message keeps popping up, I guess I have to visit my dealer then. :(

I wonder if it's designed to pop up at 30%? This is my first time setting the oil interval to flexible, so I have no history with it. I haven't looked in the manual to see any info on it yet since I've just moved to it. Either way, it shouldn't be popping up when the life is at 100%! Are you supposed to begin thinking about changing it at 30% or when it gets lower? Guess I need to do some manual research, but I don't really recall seeing anything in there dealing with the %'s.

Been changing my oil lately around 6k miles with the dealer using the Castol oil. The very first reading at 20k was from an oil change where I had put in the Mazda with Moly. Since then it's been Castrol:

gMQtYl8.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if it's designed to pop up at 30%? This is my first time setting the oil interval to flexible, so I have no history with it. I haven't looked in the manual to see any info on it yet since I've just moved to it. Either way, it shouldn't be popping up when the life is at 100%! Are you supposed to begin thinking about changing it at 30% or when it gets lower? Guess I need to do some manual research, but I don't really recall seeing anything in there dealing with the %'s.
Page 6-21 of the owner's manual says the red "Oil Change Due" will be displayed when "the remaining oil life distance is less than 500 km (250 mile), or remaining days are less than 15 (whichever comes first)" with flexible setting. I use flexible OCI mainly for warranty purpose and a reference point for oil change as I'm still planning to change oil around 5K~7K miles or within a year no matter what. And it seems there is no way I can stretch to a year for oil change as I had only 30% of oil life left at 8 months and 5K miles.

Yeah, I shouldn't get "Oil Change Due" message at 30% of the oil life, not to mention at 100%! But I was mostly disappointed about my oil consumption though, used ⅓ of the oil level between Low and Full marks on the dipstick for the first 5K miles.

"MULTI-MODEL ENGINE OIL FLEXIBLE MAINTENANCE DOES NOT WORK
2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE656820 (produced before April 8, 2015)

COMPLAINT:

Some customer using Flexible setting for Oil Change in the maintenance monitor may notice that the oil change due notification will not work because of improper control logic of the PCM. This TSB is applicable for the following cases.

The oil change due notification does not come on, even after mileage exceeded 10,000 miles.
Oil life in the center display is still less than 40% even though the mileage exceeded 7,000 miles.

To display Flexible setting and Oil life on the center screen, select the Applications screen, Maintenance, then Oil Change tab. For complete details, refer to the MAINTENANCE MONITOR OPERATION PROCEDURE in the Workshop Manual.
"

So according to the TSB, the flexible maintenance function on our CX-5 is having issues for those assembled before April 8, 2015. Although my symptom is opposite, but it has to be related from the software bugs in the PCM. Looks like a dealer visit is necessary to fix the problem when the message pops up next time. Thanks again for the info!

"Oil Change Due" Message Keeps Popping Up!

Wife just called on the way to work. The red "Oil Change Due" message has popped up again! The oil life is still showing 100%! Call the dealer and set up an appointment next week. Hopefully they can fix this annoying issue although the service advisor had no clue of what I was talking about. I definitely will show them the TSB although the symptom is opposite.

Wife just called on the way to work. The red "Oil Change Due" message has popped up again! The oil life is still showing 100%! Call the dealer and set up an appointment next week. Hopefully they can fix this annoying issue although the service advisor had no clue of what I was talking about. I definitely will show them the TSB although the symptom is opposite.

It does seem related even though symptoms are opposite.

The red "Oil Change Due" message disappeared today by itself. I guess I can only show the pictures to the service advisor and hope for the best. Oil life is still 100%.

The red "Oil Change Due" message disappeared today by itself. I guess I can only show the pictures to the service advisor and hope for the best. Oil life is still 100%.

Did you go into the system (Apps) and check the interval setting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you go into the system (Apps) and check the interval setting?
Yes, and it's been reset three times if you read my previous posts. I use "Flexible" oil change maintenance schedule.

Well, here I am, I am about at 4 months on schedule 2, and only have ~2000 miles. Seems like such a waste to get a change now...

then don't :)
we had low mileage at 4 mths, talked to dealer,said we were gonna wait another mth or 2 to coincide with winter tire swap and vehicle closer to 8k (km)
no problems, oil change was done at 7800 km

Back