2016 Mazda Connect Head Unit pinout?

JonW

:
2014->2016->2018 CX-5 AWD Touring, various Miatas
Anyone here pulled the new head unit out to see what connections there are on the back?

I'm thinking of replacing the front speakers (with Polk DB351s and DB361s) and adding an Alpine KTP-445U amplifier to drive them, and was wondering if there were any RCA outputs on the back of the head unit.

In case you are wondering, I did the same on my 2014 CX-5 and it dramatically improved the sound of the stereo. Unfortunately the 2016 has the same speakers so I'm toying with the idea of upgrading again. On the 2014 I got the signal for the Alpine amp from the speaker connections, but an RCA connection is preferred if it's available.

Thanks.

You are never going to find RCA - low level outputs out of the back of a factory radio. (except for some random "upgraded" factory radios in cars in the 90's) You will have to use a line output converter, or use the high level inputs on the amp. (if available)

That being said, I haven't pulled a unit out of the 2016 yet. I would assume that the plugs would be different from the older generation and be similar to what the Mazda3 is running.

You are never going to find RCA - low level outputs out of the back of a factory radio. (except for some random "upgraded" factory radios in cars in the 90's) You will have to use a line output converter, or use the high level inputs on the amp. (if available)

You are likely right that a line output converter will be needed. But, the Bose system (in my 2010 mx-5 gt) has(d) line level out. They are actually balanced outs that run to the amp. You can tap into those and keep the factory amp or keep the hu and add aftermarket radio. I changed the HU but kept my Bose speakers and amp in the first upgrade. I just cut an RCA cable and soldered it to the harness adapter and plugged them directly in to the line outs of the new HU. Worked great until I got up the guts to rip the whole Bose system out. Now it works better :)

You are talking a different car but Mazda has recently used line level stuff so you never know what might be back there. I would doubt it if you don't have the Bose system though.

You are likely right that a line output converter will be needed. But, the Bose system (in my 2010 mx-5 gt) has(d) line level out. They are actually balanced outs that run to the amp. You can tap into those and keep the factory amp or keep the hu and add aftermarket radio. I changed the HU but kept my Bose speakers and amp in the first upgrade. I just cut an RCA cable and soldered it to the harness adapter and plugged them directly in to the line outs of the new HU. Worked great until I got up the guts to rip the whole Bose system out. Now it works better :)

You are talking a different car but Mazda has recently used line level stuff so you never know what might be back there. I would doubt it if you don't have the Bose system though.

Yeah I should have clarified that you won't find RCA only. Many amplified systems use low level out from the radio which then feeds into an amp. (Although many new cars are shifting toward using digital signals now).

Anyone here pulled the new head unit out to see what connections there are on the back?

I'm thinking of replacing the front speakers (with Polk DB351s and DB361s) and adding an Alpine KTP-445U amplifier to drive them, and was wondering if there were any RCA outputs on the back of the head unit.

In case you are wondering, I did the same on my 2014 CX-5 and it dramatically improved the sound of the stereo. Unfortunately the 2016 has the same speakers so I'm toying with the idea of upgrading again. On the 2014 I got the signal for the Alpine amp from the speaker connections, but an RCA connection is preferred if it's available.

Thanks.

Oh and related to your original question now that I have spent a bunch of time behind my radio. There are 6 connectors and on mine one empty plug which I believe is another spot for USB ports.

I have attached the diagram from a mazda 3. My experience is they are the same. The screen part and cd drive part are bolted together with a bracket for the cx-5.

so you have the three from the left two columns. There is a GPS plug which is blue with a black wire. Then there is a dark gray plug which I believe is USB. Lastly there is a smaller white one with 4 (I think) heavier gauge wires which I'm not sure what they do. In the pictures, the top black one is the CD drive. The rest plug into the screen unit which must be the brain/arm computer with Linux.

But, there is no specific audio out there. They have separate source outputs that all run to the amp. In the passenger kick panel you will find the amp/fm receiver. That has the four channel high level outputs but again there is no specific stereo input you could grab.

mazda 3 radio pinout 2.jpg
IMG_1876.jpg
IMG_1877.jpg

Back