My 02 P5 Build

Hmmm, thats weird. 40HP is something you would definitely feel, especially since its a 30% power gain.

Are you sure its an FS-ZE engine? Are you using 91 octane? Did you use the FS-ZE ECU or your stock ECU?

I've been using premium.

I'm using the intake, all the sensors, and ECU that came with the car. I'm sure that's why I'm not seeing much of a power gain.

It's a ZE. It had the intake with the plastic chamber in it, and the intake cam was stamped FSH9, which crosses to the ZE.

I've got a little over 400 miles on the ZE without any issues to report... Got 30mpg out of the last 5 gallons.

My shift knob and boot came in. I don't know what to think about the chrome knob. I'll give it a couple days to see if it grows on me. The shifter is a little shorter now, this knob slips further onto the shaft, and I cut 3/8" off of the top to shorten it even more. The boot went on pretty well, I had to fold the front slightly, and cut a couple new slits in it, but overall I think it looks pretty good. My shifter bezel was completely worn and bad looking, I think someone spilled nail polish remover or something on it. I sanded it down and painted it, but something went wrong with my base coat (can was almost empty, got more propellant than paint) that gave it a waves on the water texture. I'm gonna let it dry for a couple days then plasti-dip it black, or rattle can it silver like it used to be. Black was all I could find locally (I live in BFE).

The knob:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

The boot:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

If you dont like the chrome, you can turn it into a brushed finish pretty easily. Chuck it in a drill and spin it against some sand paper, then clearcoat. Tends to look a bit more classy.

If you dont like the chrome, you can turn it into a brushed finish pretty easily. Chuck it in a drill and spin it against some sand paper, then clearcoat. Tends to look a bit more classy.

It would match the trim bezels a little better with a brushed finish. I'm gonna try that, thanks for the tip.

Well, the sandpaper idea would have worked pretty well, if the knob didn't have copper underneath the chrome. I don't know what I'm gonna do now, but even right now it looks way better than before so I'm not that concerned about it.

I ordered a set of precut tint for it yesterday. 25% front 15% rear and sunroof. I have tried doing it myself before, and the results were very good. The film I had then was like tissue paper and hard to work with, the stuff I ordered now is 2ply and supposedly a lot thicker. We'll see what happens though.

I will hire out the back window, I'm not even gonna attempt that.

Haven't updated this because I haven't really done anything to the P5. The ZE has nearly 10,000 miles on it by me, and it's been running flawlessly, attaining 27mpg average with the A/C on.

I have red and black Katskinz leather on the way, the set that was listed in the classifieds. I will do my best to take pics during the process of that install. The one thing I really wanted that this car didn't have is leather. That wish will soon come to fruition.

Got my new wheels on. Konig Incident 17x7. After the rebates from Discount Tire come in, I'll be out a total of around 600 bucks for the wheels, tires, shipping and mounting/balancing. Two of my stock wheels are bent, and I couldn't resist a deal like that.

I went to Pick and pull today with the intention of grabbing some headlight clips. They have a 50% off sale for Labor Day. I ended up grabbing this aftermarket header from an MX6. It's a nice piece, great looking welds and heavy steel. It's gonna take some fabrication to fit, but for 15 bucks I figured it is worth spending the time on.

And some more of the car that I took today.

Here are some photos of the leather. I put it in a couple months ago. Despite what I read online, hog rings are not used on the new covers, they use plastic C channel to clip around the framework. There were 4 rings on the factory seats, that only need to be removed.

Last edited:
Back