Turbo "Sewing Machine Sound" Help!

You need to record the sound and post the clip. Or try and find a local that actually knows what they are doing when it comes to MSP knowledge.

Thats what I've been afraid of. I dont want to go to some shop who think they know what they are doing on this turbo. I trust people on this forum more lol. And yeah its hard to get a sound clip from inside cabin while driving.

This^

I'm wondering if it's not exhaust leak at the turbo/mani. Missing bolts.

I mean Im taking anything into consideration but my msp is stock as can be and hasn't been altered at all. so I wouldn't think there is a bolt missing. The only things done do it have been bushings, front motor mount, exhaust hangers, and routine oil changes.

I mean Im taking anything into consideration but my msp is stock as can be and hasn't been altered at all. so I wouldn't think there is a bolt missing. The only things done do it have been bushings, front motor mount, exhaust hangers, and routine oil changes.

Stock or not it's a common problem to lose the outside bolts on your manifold. The turbo studs get loose over time as well, especially if they don't get torqued properly or have no loctite.

I'd have to agree with loose/missing bolts on the manifold.

Thats what I've been afraid of. I dont want to go to some shop who think they know what they are doing on this turbo. I trust people on this forum more lol. And yeah its hard to get a sound clip from inside cabin while driving.

I've done it plenty of times using an old 2003 Kodak camera using the short movie feature. Its actually quite easy to record a clip.

It's also easy to remove a few 10 mm bolts from your heat shield, pull it back and inspect the flange and the bolts on the exhaust manifold.

I've done it plenty of times using an old 2003 Kodak camera using the short movie feature. Its actually quite easy to record a clip.

It's also easy to remove a few 10 mm bolts from your heat shield, pull it back and inspect the flange and the bolts on the exhaust manifold.

One of the bolt heads actually broke off from heat shield

You can still remove it. I bet it's a missing or broken exhaust mani stud as well. I have yet to see a stock msp with all of it's original turbo mani hardware present and tight.

You can still remove it. I bet it's a missing or broken exhaust mani stud as well. I have yet to see a stock msp with all of it's original turbo mani hardware present and tight.

Okay, that's the next thing I am going to check then. Just have to get this heat shield removed and then I'll get back on here with an update

That was, like, 5 days ago or something...

I think I have the same problem. Just started a couple months ago. I hear it when i first start out and the car hasnt reached operating temperature. It really does sound like a sewing machine and only during acceleration. Once the car warms up it stops. I was hoping its not the valves for some reason and was guessing it may be the exhaust manifold...i have yet to check it out.

Finally got around to Removing heat shield. The bolts all were rusted out and broke off. There seems to be no cracks to least boost and all the bolts were still tight.

f740221c3c16058aa5ef9dcf60091102.jpg

Wowzers. I'm amazed that all the bolts are still in there. Typically the upper outside bolts come loose and fall out. Did you check the turbo studs? Also, is that dark area on the down pipe a gap or just a shadow?

PS, those nuts and bolts are heinous looking.

I still have all of my original bolts @116k. I always checked and tightened them at each oil change over the years. Still I am going to replace them as they will fail eventually from the heat cycles.

Back on topic, get a sound clip posted so we can once and for all hear this alleged bad sound. You don't have enough miles or usage to have problems unless the car has been neglected with infrequent oil and air filter changes which will cause turbo problems.

Wowzers. I'm amazed that all the bolts are still in there. Typically the upper outside bolts come loose and fall out. Did you check the turbo studs? Also, is that dark area on the down pipe a gap or just a shadow?

PS, those nuts and bolts are heinous looking.

I still have all of my original bolts @116k. I always checked and tightened them at each oil change over the years. Still I am going to replace them as they will fail eventually from the heat cycles.

Back on topic, get a sound clip posted so we can once and for all hear this alleged bad sound. You don't have enough miles or usage to have problems unless the car has been neglected with infrequent oil and air filter changes which will cause turbo problems.

Yes the. It's and bolts do indeed need to be replaced soon. Also the dark area you see is just shadow and not a gap.

I routinely change oil and filter so I know it isn't that. I also realized the sound almost always happens when the car is still cold and needs to warm up. I did a few pulls yesterday after driving around all day and turbo spool sounded normal.

Are you the original owner or did you buy it from Mark94? I think that was his forum name and if so then that car was meticulously cared for before he sold it with crazy low mileage.

Are you the original owner or did you buy it from Mark94? I think that was his forum name and if so then that car was meticulously cared for before he sold it with crazy low mileage.
My pops was original owner. He bought it off the lot back in 03. He just handed it down to me.

Ok then that's a different car. Does Pops say that's never sounded like that before when he hears the sound?

Ok then that's a different car. Does Pops say that's never sounded like that before when he hears the sound?
He gave it to me about 2 years ago. He doesn't really drive it much now, and i don't think he ever realized the normal spooling noise of the turbo, let alone this new sound.

I think i've solved where the sound is emanating from. I opened up the hood today and noticed oil on the front of my block. Without taking anything apart, above the heat shield and below the valve cover it was completely coated. Fearing the worst I checked the coolant and it was clean. Looks like the valve cover gasket has given up the ghost. The oil and motor heating up probably seal things up enough to stop the sound and why it's only doing it when cold. Luckily in the grand scheme, it's a relatively easy fix.

Leaking valve cover gasket is definitely NOT causing your exhaust leak, your stock mani is probably cracked like the rest of them or just missing hardware.

Back