Brakes squeal in reverse?

Toller

:
2014 CX9 Touring
I have a 2014 CX9 with about 15,000 miles. Just noticed (its my wife's car...) that the brakes squeal pretty badly in reverse. They are fine forward. Never notice a car do that before.
Is it something to be concerned about, or just the way they are?
Thanks

Mine started doing this a couple months ago, very annoying only in reverse too.

My 2012 does it only in reverse mostly when cold or first start of the day. I guess I don't drive in reverse far enough to care to take it to the the dealer.

Mine does it all the time when cold. We replaced the pads and rotors, problem didn't go away. I don't mind it much though, it's only first thing in the AM backing out of the garage.

I hear the same squeal after it rains the night before or if I wash the car in the afternoon the day before and I back out of the driveway the next morning, it's most likely rust from moisture in the night cool air. You scrub off that thin layer of rust first time you brake getting a squeal then it's done.

The most likely explanation--in view of the fact that the problem goes away for the rest of the day--is that you are simply hearing the effects of some surface rust that builds up on the rotors overnight, and is worn away after the first one or two brake applications.

Last edited:
Back