Camber bolt install tip + string alignment at home

flatlander937

:
'11 Mazda2 Sport
So I got the itch to do one last thing to my car before the last auto-x event this season(next weekend)... so I found out that Napa had the SPC camber bolts in stock... hey why not?

There are a couple how-tos floating around about installing the bolts but I'm not sure that this step is ever mentioned... it's pretty important to pull the knuckle back and clean the knuckle and insides of the strut(where they interface) with a wire brush to eliminate any little grit/surface rust that has accumulated as it gets pretty nasty, and any little bits of stuff acts as a dry lube and may lead to your camber bolts slipping... which shouldn't take much since the 12mm bolt gets replaced by a 10mm bolt and is only torqued to 60 ft-lbs.

KIcTueR.jpg

You can see the before above, I got too excited and cleaned it up and forgot to take another pic but you get the idea. Get it as clean as possible and wiped it down with a solvent when done. I really -thought- about putting some loctite on the knuckle to strut surfaces, much like what is done to keep cylinder liner sleeves in a block but decided enough people don't have problems that I wouldn't worry about it. It's something to consider if you have slipping problems.

Anyways the more interesting thing is doing a string alignment at home. For about $30 for stuff from Home Depot(plus jackstands which you should already have) it's simple enough to set toe at home. It takes about 30min to set it all up and check, then may take another 30-60 min depending on how much needs adjusted, more if you have the car lowered a lot(I was able to reach under the string and adjust the tie rods/tighten the jam nuts from beside the car blindly at stock ride height).

For starters I'll give credit where it's due, I went mostly by this site:
http://www.negative-camber.org/jam149/technical/alignment.html

I'll basically just post the pics with a few paragraphs about what's going on and where everything ended up, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Note that I'm a 9yr master tech with a load of alignment experience using a 40k Hunter machine every week... I don't do it at work because we can't work on our own cars there and frankly I like doing stuff myself to know it's done right... I'm super anal about everything I do... like using 3 different kinds of grease on brakes, torque everything to specification every time and mark every nut and bolt I touch.

Here I am leveling the floor with some cheap tiles from the hardwood store. Note that getting the left to right is a LOT more important than front to back... I don't have a long level piece of steel to lay down and level front to back perfectly... but my level says the floor is pretty close to it(and a marble on the floor does too, doesn't go any particular direction) so I shimmed the rear the same as the front.

CF90iRg.jpg

c2TJ661.jpg

I put a couple trash bags down, folded in half then half again to make a ghetto fabulous slip-plate. This allows the wheels to not have tension on them from the tires. It allows you to jounce the suspension up/down to eliminate any preload on everything.

NvVg2oC.jpg

Before I pulled the car forward, I put tiles in front of the rear tires and ran the level under the car to check and make sure it's good back there too.

6wpb3Mk.jpg

Pulled onto the tile/ghetto slip plates, I recommend pushing the car forward not driving it to prevent spitting a trash bag.

Ihc8z1f.jpg

Pulled the e-brake to keep it from moving, then went ahead and jounced the car a few times, then installed my highly advanced brake pedal depressor:

EhTBb14.jpg

Then you'll want to follow the link about regarding how to set up the strings with jack stands in more detail... but the pertinent information is that the front track with is just about 5mm wider PER SIDE(10mm total)... so when setting up the strings I set them 100mm from the hub centers in the front, and 105mm from hub centers in the rear to keep the strings square.

Ihc8z1f.jpg

CbcW5bs.jpg

Here is me setting the front wheels. Since I have steel wheels, I went off of the little flange in the center of the wheel(don't use the axle stub end for example) as that's the most repeatable thing between all 4 wheels. If you have aluminum wheels with center caps those will work best. I bought a metal ruler specifically for this.

mNxkp84.jpg

And rear at 105mm..

Ty5twsp.jpg

Then with the steering wheel centered, you can check for toe by measuring the front edge of the front rim...

L0PyfDi.jpg

And the rear edge of the front rim:

tgyHFR0.jpg

And you take the difference front minus back. If the front has a larger distance(mine was 66mm initially) than the rear(mine was 65), then you have toe IN. I had 2mm of toe in after my eyeball alignment last night(not bad I'd say!). For reference it took 1.5 turns of the tie rods on both sides(inwards to shorter them) to get to this point. So if you install camber bolts a good guess would probably be turning you tie rods in by about 1.75 to 2.0 full turns on each side as a temporary measure until you get it aligned or do it yourself like this.

So I adjusted the tie rod ends seen here:

Byvr4GB.jpg

And continued checking the distances of the rims to the strings until I got things right. I highly recommend breaking everything loose and making sure it all moves smoothly before doing ANY of this... it makes everything so much easier. It is VERY important to constantly check and make sure you jounce the suspension after every time you make an adjustment, followed by checking the string distance to the hub centers to make sure the car didn't move left or right at all. This is vital to ensure you aren't chasing your tail making adjustments blindly.

For the record I settled on 2mm of total toe OUT(1mm difference on each side... 65mm in front and 66mm in rear of the front wheels).

To figure out the angle in degrees you need to measure the distance between the two points you were referencing(for me it was the outside edges of the rims... which was 410mm from one to the other).

Take the inverse tangent of 1mm/410mm which gives you inv tan(0.002439024) which equates to -0.139 degrees per side.. which is roughly 0.28 degrees of toe out.

So yeah. Thought I'd share. It feels largely the same but going around turns it just wants to go a tiny bit faster now... (nana)

Man, you pulled all the strings on your alignment set up. (pun intended) :D

I know the way I do alignments on this car may not be be as anally precise, but since the rear isn't adjustable...

I use, Advanced Autosports Quick Camber Gauge and my trusty Longacre Toe Plates.

1. Measure. Mark. and Level the floor with linoleum tiles.
2. Check and reset the camber if needed. (I just max out the SPC's and recheck that they are even, It's about 2.5deg)
3. Use toe plates to measure/adjust total toe. (I like 0 toe or slightly toe out.)
4. Road test and readjust/remeasure toe as needed.

Roll the car back and forth a few times to settle the suspension/tires after each adjustment.

I check the center of the steering wheel by feel/eye and re-adjust one side as needed then recheck total toe. (Yes I know road crown/uneveness and camber thrust can make this very unscientific, but it seems to work for me between autox events)

Ideally I think you want to string according to the center line of the car, but I think for all our intents and purposes these work fine. At this point, I wish I had the money/crazy to buy my own hub stands and weight scales... (Secretly, I want it.)

EDIT: I guess the tools i use are a bit more than $30. But hey, we use the same level :D

I think it's worth mentioning. CHECK TIRE PRESSURES BEFORE YOU START. You could also, depending on how far you want to go, align the car with the fuel level you expect to be running at, and find something that weighs similar to you to stick in the drivers seat.

Last edited:
Great writeup! In the past, I've found those camber bolts can take a hell of a lot more than 60 lbs of torquing.

Man, you pulled all the strings on your alignment set up. (pun intended) :D

I know the way I do alignments on this car may not be be as anally precise, but since the rear isn't adjustable...

I use, Advanced Autosports Quick Camber Gauge and my trusty Longacre Toe Plates.

1. Measure. Mark. and Level the floor with linoleum tiles.
2. Check and reset the camber if needed. (I just max out the SPC's and recheck that they are even, It's about 2.5deg)
3. Use toe plates to measure/adjust total toe. (I like 0 toe or slightly toe out.)
4. Road test and readjust/remeasure toe as needed.

Roll the car back and forth a few times to settle the suspension/tires after each adjustment.

I check the center of the steering wheel by feel/eye and re-adjust one side as needed then recheck total toe. (Yes I know road crown/uneveness and camber thrust can make this very unscientific, but it seems to work for me between autox events)

That is how I did it. If you drive it and the wheel is off, you recheck and total toe is still where you want it, I just adjust each tie rod end an equal amount. Make the inner and outer tie rods using the jam nut hex "flats" or corners to make a mark so you can adjust each side by 1 or 2 flats(60 or 120 degrees of a turn of the inner tie rod).

Even using a $40k+ Hunter machine at work, you can align the car and you'll find that it's just a HAIR off center when driving in reality. It's not uncommon to make a tiny adjustment like this. One flat is usually a very fine adjustment, like less than 3 degrees at the steering wheel. 2 flats is usually about right if it's off by a little more than that. As long as you shorten one side, and lengthen the other and you think about which way you're turning each side, it's a pretty good way to make a fine adjustment. I've double checked cars after doing this and any inaccuracy is basically moot and +/-0.04 total at most when I do it.

Ideally I think you want to string according to the center line of the car, but I think for all our intents and purposes these work fine. At this point, I wish I had the money/crazy to buy my own hub stands and weight scales... (Secretly, I want it.)

Yeah, with the rear being non-adjustable it doesn't matter too much for us. I have had mine on a rack and the rear is pretty well matched left to right so it's not a concern for me.

EDIT: I guess the tools i use are a bit more than $30. But hey, we use the same level :D

I think it's worth mentioning. CHECK TIRE PRESSURES BEFORE YOU START. You could also, depending on how far you want to go, align the car with the fuel level you expect to be running at, and find something that weighs similar to you to stick in the drivers seat.

YES I forgot to add that. (hi)

Great writeup! In the past, I've found those camber bolts can take a hell of a lot more than 60 lbs of torquing.

The camber bolts for the 2 are only 10mm coarse thread(I think 1.5 pitch IIRC?). Stock bolts are 12mm. The stock bolts are grade 10.9, the 10mm camber bolts I have are grade 12.9.

Based on Fastenal's torque recommendations, 62.2ft-lb is the recommended dry torque of a 10mm grade 12.9 coarse bolt.
https://www.fastenal.com/web/en/83/torque-calculator

This page shows 58ft-lbs in the first chart, and the second chart is in newton meters, converted it equals 59.7ft-lbs...
http://www.fullermetric.com/technical/information/tech_torque_figures.aspx

Here's a really good read on bolt yields/etc engineering smarty pants stuff:
http://www.industrialaids.com/upload/Summary_of_Bolt_Tensioning.pdf

Technically if the camber bolts are torqued to their yield point they'll need to be replaced when removed.

Overtightening after they yield will just stretch and weaken the bolt, which can lead to fatigue causing the bolted connection to lose it's clamping ability(and your camber changes when they slip).

My replies in red.

Also the Hunter guy was at my work place the other day to check on some of our machines, I asked him about the cost for the front slip plates... $800... each. Doh. I'd like to get a set of dedicated slip plates some time, would be quite nice to speed up the process. For that much I am most of the way to buying a complete alignment "rack" that can get the car a bit further off the ground and leveled(and use for corner weighting too with more $).

So basically over-torquing will make them more likely to slip? I would never thought of the bolt actually stretching. Mine would frequently slip, and the only thing that seemed to work (for the 4-6 mos in between alignment changes) was having the alignment techs use gorilla force to tighten them.

Depends. A bit = never reuse afterwards. Little too much = weakened and over time the forces it normally sees(hard braking in tension and high lateral Gs put it in shear) it can fatigue and stretch, causing clamping force loss and ultimate failure.

I'd be leery of going more than 70-75. And at that point they are a throw away item if they're ever loosened for adjustment.

Back