Anyone else having probem with weeping oil drain plug?

:
23 CX-5 Premium
Third DIY oil/filter change on my 15k mile 2.0 ltr. First went like clockwork re-using original factory drain plug washer. I've done this for years on my wife's 2 successive Miatas and never had a leak. CX-5 washer is about half the thickness of the Miata's, so on the second oil change (10k miles) I used a new washer so as not to push my luck. New washer leaked. I do not have an 8mm allen socket, only an allen wrench, so I could not torque it, but I have a pretty accurate wrist and I know what 30 lb/ft feels like. Changed back to the original washer and that seemed to solve the problem. Left the cover off for a few days to be sure. That was six months ago and I have not noticed any spotting on the garage floor or seen any oil usage, so I was surprised to find when I removed the cover for today's service that the original gasket had been weeping too, just not as badly. So I replaced it again with a new washer, but I've got just about zero confidence in this thing to seal properly. As far as I could tell, there's nothing visibly wrong with the plug or the mating surfaces. I'm going to leave the cover off for a while this time and check it every few days (fortunately, that's easy to do on this thing), but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to resolve it?

Last edited:
Get a torque wrench and the right hex bit. Not buying the calibrated wrist thing. Other than that, make sure there's no debris like extra paint around the drain hole preventing a good seal.

Well I knew that would be the first response. I have a torque wrench, but not the hex bit. I may end up doing that, but in 50 years of working on cars (and plenty of oil changes) I have never torqued a drain plug and never had one leak. Hard to believe that a "SkyActiv" plug is somehow more sensitive to precise tightening specs.

Well I knew that would be the first response. I have a torque wrench, but not the hex bit. I may end up doing that, but in 50 years of working on cars (and plenty of oil changes) I have never torqued a drain plug and never had one leak. Hard to believe that a "SkyActiv" plug is somehow more sensitive to precise tightening specs.
It could be an issue with first year cx-5 metal nuts/bolts/hardware.. I've noticed that each broken nut/bolt I had to rebuy, or a part I bought has different hardware now. I'm not a metallurgist but the original stuff was just "silver" metal which sheared on different occasions (3 for me all in different places, first time in my life ever breaking a nut/bolt, and the new ones are the "black" (carbon?) steel.

Check your gasket, sometimes might be fine scratches or imperfections to not allow a good seal, or try different materials- copper, aluminum. Has happened to me with other cars, usually a bad batch was the problem for me.

On my last oil change it wanted to weep too. Not enough for it to drip but it still bothers me. I may try putting in a copper washer in between stock silver washer the next oil change. Any opinions on this?

Silicone sealant is another option I'm considering if it happens again. Or a Fumoto valve!

Last edited:
Try sanding the washer on a flat surface, to be sure that it's flat and it doesn't have high spots.
If it's that problematic, maybe it would be a good idea, to install one of those quick release plugs.

Before you try all this exotic stuff, go back to your oil pan and make sure it's not distorted, check for flatness around the oil drain. Quick release plug might leak anyway if there's a problem elsewhere. No, I wouldn't try multiple washers or silicone. Oil-Tite has a variety of washers to help with these problems.

Last edited:

Just buy a Hex bit and torque it down to spec. It's a process of elimination.

I had a Nissan service on a xtrail only to later find the plug weeping, took it to a different garage while on holiday, and all he did after checking the washer etc was tighten it up some more.

well my f106 fumoto vale does not leak. and im pretty sure the oem oil filter washer which was painted on is still on the pan lol.

I use a new sealing washer, a Craftsman 8mm/3/8 adapter and a torque wrench and torque to spec.= no leak.

Mine weeps from time to time. Extremely aggravating, considering I've successfully reused crush type washers a bazillion times before, without issue. Needless to say, I'll be replacing that washer next time I have the drain plug out.

I've never in my 50 years of changing oil in my and my friends vehicles have had a problem with leaking or weeping engine drain plugs. I do however, follow the engine manufactures recomendations. My last 50 years of experience is of little value on a new engine. :))

I do not have an 8mm allen socket, only an allen wrench, so I could not torque it, but I have a pretty accurate wrist and I know what 30 lb/ft feels like. Changed back to the original washer and that seemed to solve the problem.

It sounds like you are under tightening it. I say this because those bent steel allen wrenches make it seem like you are wrenching pretty hard (when you are not) because of their shortness and the way they dig into your hand. I don't know how anyone lives without a full complement of metric tools these days, especially allen sockets.

It sounds like you are under tightening it. I say this because those bent steel allen wrenches make it seem like you are wrenching pretty hard (when you are not) because of their shortness and the way they dig into your hand. I don't know how anyone lives without a full complement of metric tools these days, especially allen sockets.

Yea, $15 or less at wally world/ebay wil get you 7-8 bits.

Point taken; I did buy a set at Harbor Freight the other day for $10 or so, but this is the first time in 50 years of wrenching that I've ever seen a need for them. So I wouldn't exactly put them on the "essentials list".

Back