Engine light came on

sussig

:
toyota
2 weeks ago i started my cx5 up as usual in the morning and noticed the engine light was on. i drove the car around for few miles and checked the gas cap to make sure it was tight. I restarted the engine and saw engine light stayed on. I then took the car down to the dealership to have the car checked out. few hrs passed by and dealership called and told me they found 40% ethanol inside my fuel tank ??? the regular 87 that i normally put in contains no more than 10% of ethanol. so, i had no idea how i got that excessive ethanol in my fuel tank. dealership then ran more tests and found 5 parts were needed to fix my car. 2 air sensors, 1 gasket exhaust, 1 exhaust converter, 1 muffler gasket and 2 o2 sensors. i looked up the parts online and their worth over $2000!!! Nevertheless, car is still under warranty and i didnt need to pay a cent. but hot damm.... i'll never find out how the heck i got 40% ethanol in my tank.

well, i'll never find out the truth, lol...they did put on extra 100 miles on my car through the road tests. maybe they were short on loaners and decided to use mine as one ? i been going to the same gas station and filling both of my cx5 and crv. i never got any engine light issue on my crv for the past 8 yrs.

Sounds like a highly suspect dealer diagnosis to me!

No kidding. Trying to find easy work to keep their techs busy?

You'd think they'd just start with draining the tank and topping it off with fresh gas. A little E isn't going to ruin your MAF/MAP, O2s, or cats. I'd be more concerned about the HPFP or the in tank pump, but even then you'd probably have to run a high percentage of ethanol for quite a while, not just 1 tank.

I guess; be happy you're not paying for the work.

For what it's worth, most auto parts stores will hook up a scanner and read your codes (triggering the check engine light) for free. They'll then tell you what the codes mean. This may or may not really tell you much (some codes can be kinda generic), but it can be good info.

100 miles for "testing" seems really suspicions to me. Think of how much time that would have taken!

For what it's worth, most auto parts stores will hook up a scanner and read your codes (triggering the check engine light) for free. They'll then tell you what the codes mean. This may or may not really tell you much (some codes can be kinda generic), but it can be good info.

100 miles for "testing" seems really suspicions to me. Think of how much time that would have taken!

accordin to the dealership, their tech first filled up the tank with fresh gas to neutralize the excessive ethanol and then took the car for road test and then discovered the failure of air sensors. replaced em and took the car out for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th road tests. they didnt discover all broken parts at the same time, but through each road tests and found 1 bad part after each road test. The car had to pass mazda's full circle inspection before they will release the car back to me. i even joked with the service manager there that hey....dont stop fixing. if u feel the need to replace the whole car, do it !

Last edited:
What the heck is an air sensor? I know of a MAF and air temperature sensor but not an air sensor

How did they determine there was ethanol in the tank??? Did you unknowingly fill your car with E-85?

Found this http://www.virginiahazmat.org/displayindustryarticle.cfm?articlenbr=38130

no idea...maybe they had some kind of test kit for that ? and no...no way in hell would i put e85 in my cx5. i put in nothing but 87. i asked service manager the same question and his take was that maybe the gas station's fuel delivery truck may have dump the wrong fuel by accident ? then i attempted to contact the gas station and of cuz, they denied and stated they dont sell e85, period. when i went to pick up my cx 5 after it was all fixed up, service manager said that same thing has happened to his car!!! too much ethanol in his gas tank and he got his gas as shell's. Before he was tellin me to buy gas from name brand gas station such as shell, chevron, 76, etc... and i was like if i knew cx5 was that picky on name brand gas, i probably woudlnt bought it in the first place, lol...so now the same thing has happened to his car, his speechless now.

If it truly was too much ethanol in your tank then others using that station and octane level will also have problems. I would go back to the station and ask or get on the Internet in your area and ask the question. The whole idea of %40 sounds suspious but, not impossible. Ed

Got it...However, "Air & Fuel Ratio Sensor" is different than "Air Sensor"...A&F ratio sensor is really just an advanced type of oxygen sensor compared to the old type.

tech at dealership called it air flow sensor. description on my work order called it sensor air. then theres sensor oxygen aka O2 sensor. follows are the 5 parts replaced in my cx5

pe01188g1a - air sensor
pe1713460 - gasket exhaust
pe042050xa - converter
pe2340305 - gasket
pe021886za - sensor oxy

job description: lean condition due to air leakage. tech found car is runnin lean. found leak of air at exhaust system flex part and 2 air flow sensors arent reading properly. replaced flex pipe and O2 sensors.

If it truly was too much ethanol in your tank then others using that station and octane level will also have problems. I would go back to the station and ask or get on the Internet in your area and ask the question. The whole idea of %40 sounds suspious but, not impossible. Ed

i did call the gas station and questioned the manager there in regards to possible e85 fuels and they denied and said i was the only one who had issues with their gas. this is at Vons gas station. and they dont sell e85.

Back