Advice: Wait for 2014 Mazda5 GT or Purchase a 2013 now?

inwerds

Hello all - first time poster and recent lurker.

The 2013 Mazda 5 GT is a perfect fit for our family. We have test driven it numerous times and enjoy the handling, capacity and especially the price. FWIW, here in the Philadephia, PA, US area i am able to get it for $25,090.93 out-the-door (tax is 8% here, yuck!) - I'd love to hear what what you think of this price.

We are ready to purchase this car but I have one nagging issue that i can't seem to resolve and am hoping that the Mazda247 community has some insights or thoughts. I can't for the life of me get any info about the 2014 Mazda 5's - specifically if they will be equipped with SkyActiv. The dealers refuse to divulge any info (they really might not know). What I would like to avoid is purchasing now and then finding out in 2 months that it has been significantly upgraded. When i look on the Mazda Japanese website the 5's all have SkyActiv and there is even a AWD version. I know not to expect what they have there to come here but it does give me pause to wonder what may be in store for the 2014's.

Thank you for reading and i appreciate any insights and/or thoughts on the above.

-inwerds

Last edited:
No one knows for sure. You seem to have done your research on the global platform and all you can do now is play the waiting game (or not). You've seen what the Japan lineup has to offer but it may not translate directly to the US –not this fast. However, I will add that 2014 is the current model's mid cycle refresh, which is almost always the best time to buy a car –if you are looking to buy a new car. Will they or won't they offer the Sky 2.0 in the US is anyone's guess... I do think they will soften/redesign some of body panel (much like the ’08 did with the bumper) but a complete redesign won’t happen until the current model reaches the end of it’s lifecycle. The previous model ran from ’06-’10, so 5 years. The redesign 2014 Mazda3 just came out with a 6sp auto so that is definitely NOT going to trickle down for another year or two, more likely the next gen.

The only glimmer of hope is the 2014 offer a Sky 2.0 variant but I’m becoming more doubtful. Pure speculation but all signs seem to point to a blah 2014-2016. The next model, assuming Mazda keeps the micro van, is the one to look out for BUT there’s always something better tomorrow so that point is moot.

The article may very well be on point but ya never know.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/mazda-updates-mazda5-mpv-picture-6.html

In my opinion, it's not good to get the new model redesign - you should wait a year or so until they get the bugs out. When the Mazda 5 first came out, they were all recalled. There seems to be always teething problems or worse with a new model design. Do as I say, not as I do since I have a 2006 :)

That is a decent price, but I would recommend finding a 2010 GT like I did for around $15k. that way, if the new ones come out and you want one, you wont take as big of a hit on depreciation. Other than a USB input, you aren't gaining much by getting a 2013 instead of a 2010 (except lower I interest rates).

Many thanks, so far, for your replies and thoughts.

One further question: when do we expect the 2014 Mazda5's ?

FWIW - i've heard all of the following from different dealers regarding the 2014:

I’m unable to confirm if the 2014 MZ5 will be Skyactiv. Product Planning has not released any specifications.

The 2014 will have SkyActive not sure at this time when we will get any.

From what I have heard and seen the 2014 Mazda5 is going to be mostly carryover with some trim and equipment changes. Here is a link to an article with the changes to the european model. http://carsmustsee.com/2014-mazda-5/

I spoke with my Mazda sales manager and he does not know of any redesigns in the near future for the Mazda 5. Additionally I went on the Mazda site just for dealers and the only car I see that is being redone for 2014 is the Miata.

So, really, no one *knows* anything :)

Last edited:
I could easily see there being no 2014 model released, but an all new skyactiv 2015 model available in early mid 2014.

No diesel, no sale. Sorry that isn't helpful at all. I tend to agree with Mazdadude, although they didn't do that with the 3 which gets the "all new" treatment for 2014. I do sincerely hope that they continue to offer the 5 in this country, there really is no competition for it, either at or above its price point.

I wonder if the suspension issues will finally be fixed in 2014. I don't know how many threads all over the web I've seen for just about every model year getting the squeaks and clunks, cupped and chewed up tires, and quickly shifting alignments after ~45kmi. I love this car model and there's really nothing else like it. Perhaps, that's why Mazda's not too quick to pay attention :p

I think the suspension issues are all derived from making a minivan out of a compact sedan. The suspension wasn't originaly intended to carry the additional weight. Perhaps a new platform would fix those issues, I'm so far willing to abide them. And don't think for a second that Mazda isn't aware of that fact....

Last edited:
@jyg and @secondtyme - many thanks for this new (to me) bit of info. I was not aware of the suspension issues but i know all vehicles have that one (or many but always at least ONE) thing that always seems to be problematic. I'll hit the search and get up to speed on it.

FWIW - to all of you who have responded - we are going to wait for the 2014....mainly to see if it gets SkyActiv and also it looks like they have replaced that awful looking (to me) center console plastic garbage of knobs and buttons, this:
pho_gallery_MZ5_int5.jpg
with a nav/screen:
2014-Mazda5-interior3.jpg

Thanks to the mazda247 community for your feedback here, it is much appreciated.

It'll be in the 2014 that NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT, especially the dealers :)
Dealers will always plead ignorance about future models. They want to sell you a current model, today, not give you information about future models.

That being said, just wait a few months. Put $300 or $400 per month into savings to build up your down payment in the meantime.

It'll be in the 2014 that NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT, especially the dealers :)

I have a 13 model here in UK and it looks like that!!! I have the built in sat nav - which incidentally is a Sanyo and its plagued with problems!

the interior is looking great !

and it happened to a friend who was asking about the 3 : the dealers won't say anything and plead they don't know so they can sell the current model i guess.

No diesel, no sale. Sorry that isn't helpful at all. I tend to agree with Mazdadude, although they didn't do that with the 3 which gets the "all new" treatment for 2014. I do sincerely hope that they continue to offer the 5 in this country, there really is no competition for it, either at or above its price point.
I don't think Mazda will discontinue the Mz5 bc it is the only people mover and it sells in places not named US. If they revive the MPV, I would expect the Mz5 to die.

I have a 13 model here in UK and it looks like that!!! I have the built in sat nav - which incidentally is a Sanyo and its plagued with problems!
do you have the sunglass holder????

the interior is looking great !

and it happened to a friend who was asking about the 3 : the dealers won't say anything and plead they don't know so they can sell the current model i guess.
tell your friend to look online. There are many drive reviews. Even with discount, the 2013 is not worth it. The 2014 may have a mark-up bc it is a darn nice car, but the new Mz6 is still the better package/value :). It is a higher class and you get refinement and price difference is marginal.

Last edited:
I think the suspension issues are all derived from making a minivan out of a compact sedan. The suspension wasn't originaly intended to carry the additional weight. Perhaps a new platform would fix those issues, I'm so far willing to abide them. And don't think for a second that Mazda isn't aware of that fact....

Making a mini-van from a compact sedan is/was a fantastic idea!! Putting suspension parts made of paper-mache onto it in order to keep the price down... not such a good idea. But as soon as you swap out the struts, shocks and sway-bar bushings, for even cheap Munroe or KYB parts, the suspension issues are solved. Go with something upmarket like the Koni FSD's and you'll want to try and throw a turbo in her.

It never should have left the factory with those suspension parts... if they had spent another $300 (and charged another $500) per vehicle and all would have been fine.

Many thanks, so far, for your replies and thoughts.

One further question: when do we expect the 2014 Mazda5's ?

I too am a first time poster and recent lurker. I am in the same boat as inwerds, looking to buy a Mazda5, but probably going to wait to see what the 2014 model has to offer. Hopefully the new model will have a touchscreen instead of eight million buttons on the dash.

FWIW, my local dealer just told me that they will be getting the 2014s in October.

More and more publications seem to point to a so-so 2014 model... The changes seem to be the same as previous gens’ MCR. Don’t take the publication as absolute but given the level of detail, I think this one looks pretty official, IMO. But, this may reference the package for a certain region. Won’t know until Mazda makes a an official press release or see it in person. IF this is true, I don’t expect SKY to make it into the current model’s design. It’s going to be a LOOONG wait till the next refresh model come out…

http://futurecars2014.com/2013/07/2014-mazda-5-release-date-and-review/
Highlighted a couple of points that are interesting. The biggest is the facelift but it looks minor...
Release Date and Price
Meanwhile some rumors told that 2014 Mazda 5 release date will be in late this year. You can get in touch with certified traders of the Mazda to discover out more about the 2014 Mazda 5 price. There is no purpose why you should be eventually missed when it comes to the high-class and relaxation that comes with Mazda vehicles. This car is made in a way that they will provide you even more than you predicted. We promise that we will update soon after Mazda announces 2014 Mazda 5 release date.

Powertrain
For the performance of the engine, it seems like no change from previous version. Every 2014 Mazda 5 is powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder that produces 157 horsepower and 163 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed manual is standard on the Sport, while a five-speed automatic is optional on the Sport and standard on everything else. A Mazda 5 with the manual transmission returns an estimated 21 mpg city/28 highway and 24 mpg combined. The automatic transmission does 1 mpg better in city driving.

Exterior
2014 Mazda 5 comes facelifted and with more safety equipment. The Mazda 5 now comes with LED turn signals on the rear view mirrors, new wheels, an improved interior and three new colors: Zeal Red, Jet Black and Meteor Grey. Mirrors can be folded electrically and has a light signal. And to facilitate the driver, New 2014 Mazda 5 equipped sein turn “lane change”, where activated by touching the rod sein and automatically turn off after 3 times flashing.

Interior
On the inside, meanwhile, there is new seat trim in such a way so as to make passengers comfortable. The new 2014 Mazda 5 now has the dashboard panel dcor in a clean, sleek looking piano black finish. Mazda complement “New Mazda5” with repair kit instead spare wheel, which makes the car lighter weight and make fuel-efficient. Rear camera and a rear-view auto-dimming are optional. While the USB port, illuminated glovebox and muffler extension is standard.

Features and Safety
On the features of security, 2014 Mazda 5 might have the same features as the previous version. Every Mazda 5 comes with standard stability and traction control, antilock disc brakes, front side airbags and full-length side curtain airbags.

Back