2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Upgrades!

to be honest that looks like the exact same one i got except my pipes were powdercoated blue. i bought 2 L-angle brackets from the local hardware store , bolted them to the top of the intercooler and welded the other half of the L-angle to the crash bar. if you look under the car the only part of the intercooler you can see is the bottom of the bolt holes that come on the intercooler

the only major thing youl have to do is trim the front bumper for the pipes and intercooler to have clearance

the only major thing youl have to do is trim the front bumper for the pipes and intercooler to have clearance

Idk how comfortable I feel with cutting anything on the car. I mean I really don't want to. But I'm going to look into it. If anything I'll just upgrade the SMIC it's just an DD that I want to last longer than it already has.

Just upgraded my rear sway bar bushings today with the polyurethane replacements and it feels like a whole new ride!!! just have to upgrade the fron bushings now (i know its a little more difficult) but the rear changed the ride so much! My first upgrade to the MSP!

Idk how comfortable I feel with cutting anything on the car. I mean I really don't want to. But I'm going to look into it. If anything I'll just upgrade the SMIC it's just an DD that I want to last longer than it already has.

the car will last plenty long with the stock intercooler as long as you don't turn up the boost and are just using it as a DD. A more worthwhile investment for longevity of the car might be to buy hard pipes to replace the plastic intercooler piping. Those parts are known to fail or leak and nothing good happens to plastic as it ages. If you really plan to have the car for another 10 years I would look into hard pipes now. Eventually you will have to remove the plastic ones for some reason or another and if you break it down the road, it could be difficult to find a replacement plastic one. At this point, hard pipes are becoming harder to find as well as I think only a few people still make them for our car.

the car will last plenty long with the stock intercooler as long as you don't turn up the boost and are just using it as a DD. A more worthwhile investment for longevity of the car might be to buy hard pipes to replace the plastic intercooler piping. Those parts are known to fail or leak and nothing good happens to plastic as it ages. If you really plan to have the car for another 10 years I would look into hard pipes now. Eventually you will have to remove the plastic ones for some reason or another and if you break it down the road, it could be difficult to find a replacement plastic one. At this point, hard pipes are becoming harder to find as well as I think only a few people still make them for our car.

Would there be a specific kit that you would reccomend to use? I have searched and the closest I have found were some universal kits but was not to sure how "universal" they may be.

I think the weapon R pipes are popular, but I'm still rocking the stock plastic so I can't tell you which ones are better or which to avoid.

aluminum dissipates heat better and faster. which is what you want. the cooler the air is going into your engine, the more air you squeeze in, the more power you squeeze out.

aluminum dissipates heat better and faster. which is what you want. the cooler the air is going into your engine, the more air you squeeze in, the more power you squeeze out.

^^ this is exactly right. if it was my car, I'd pony up for the aluminum. however, doing this and a new intercooler will cost you close to a grand, and you won't have made the car that much more durable. it will make a little more power, but you are replacing parts that, in general, aren't one of the weak points as far as reliability.

A eBay fmic kit with a good bov prolly cost u around 400 I couldn't tell u exact because I have the Perrin fmic on my speed and stock side mount on my lx

You recommend silicone piping over aluminum? Is there much difference in performance?

not recomending over, giving you and option for a better than OEM replacement for longivity.

A eBay fmic kit with a good bov prolly cost u around 400 I couldn't tell u exact because I have the Perrin fmic on my speed and stock side mount on my lx

What would be a good kit? Im not to sure about the size and all because I've read about different people trying different fittings. If i do decide to get a fmic i just want it to fit without chopping the car.

Do you have any specific parts you would recommend? I don't want to do to much to the car. Want to mostly perform upgrades that will increase life of car.

Regular maintenance will increase the life of the car. Unless something is broken to begin with, Upgrading parts just makes the car more fun and personalized. Something youve already experienced with your bushings.

Regular maintenance will increase the life of the car. Unless something is broken to begin with, Upgrading parts just makes the car more fun and personalized. Something youve already experienced with your bushings.

Yes, I only want to upgrade specific parts. As I have already ordered new exhaust mounts to replace old. I have new front bushings as well, just havent took old one out yet, I know its a little more difficult than the rear, but im getting to it!

Back