2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Upgrades!

jerseymods

:
2003.5 Titanium Grey MSP
So my dad finally passed down the Titanium gray MSP he bought back in 2003. It has been given to me with only about 26k miles on it. Everything is completely stock since the day it came from the dealer. Ive been looking around the forum for the best upgrade to put on this car, but have only been finding posts that date a while back. Its 2013 and I want to know what is the best bang for my buck which anything I upgrade. Im open to any suggestions. My main goal is to obviously get more juice out of this baby. Thanks

-Proud owner of a MSP :)

yiYVizhl.jpg

Welcome to Mazdas247, best mod for these would be suspension and bracing to start with, you have something rare already especially with that low mileage.

Welcome to Mazdas247, best mod for these would be suspension and bracing to start with, you have something rare already especially with that low mileage.

Thank you! Would there be any specific parts that you would recommend for suspension upgrade? I dont need the latest and greatest, but more on the "reliable" and "built to last" type parts, if you know what I mean. Im 20 and have an IT internship. Im not making bank, but I am making decent cash(paid by hr). Just wanted to give you an idea of my budget i guess.

Just keep it stock. Maintain her instead of modding.

That has came across me as well. My dad has maintained it stock for about 10yrs now, but things are boung to go bad. I believe I am starting to get the "Clunk" sound it the back, so I read that it should be a bushings replacement. I guess that is considered maintaing her, but I also though about doing a metal piping swap to increase longevity. Just need opinions on what should be done or not. This is my first car and she has been preserved in her original form, I dont want to screw it up.

Just keep it stock. Maintain her instead of modding.
+1

That has came across me as well. My dad has maintained it stock for about 10yrs now, but things are boung to go bad. I believe I am starting to get the "Clunk" sound it the back, so I read that it should be a bushings replacement. I guess that is considered maintaing her, but I also though about doing a metal piping swap to increase longevity. Just need opinions on what should be done or not. This is my first car and she has been preserved in her original form, I dont want to screw it up.

Welcome, Before you spend anything, read through the forums. There's alot of great info and can save you time, money and headaches. Personally I would only maintain and replace whats needed when needed and worry about upgrading at that time. If you want a horsepower machine, save up and/or it trade-in.

+1

Welcome, Before you spend anything, read through the forums. There's alot of great info and can save you time, money and headaches. Personally I would only maintain and replace whats needed when needed and worry about upgrading at that time. If you want a horsepower machine, save up and/or it trade-in.

Thanks for the incentive! MUCH APPRECIATED!

+1

Did some looking around the forums like you have suggested butI have found a lot of the recommended part are no longer available.

Did some looking around the forums like you have suggested butI have found a lot of the recommended part are no longer available.

this is the reason you should just keep it stock and replace things as necessary. if you have the clunk get some awr urethane bushings as they will last longer than the stock rubber ones. If you have the chance to get in on a clunk fix group buy go ahead, but i'm not sure if there is one active right now.

this is the reason you should just keep it stock and replace things as necessary. if you have the clunk get some awr urethane bushings as they will last longer than the stock rubber ones. If you have the chance to get in on a clunk fix group buy go ahead, but i'm not sure if there is one active right now.

I have the bushings just not to sure how to install on this car specifically.

And you all aree right. In just going to maintain her and replace things if necessary(supporting mods). I'm not getting rid of the car anytime soon. Just want it to last as along as possible. I think I already have a good start on that with only having 26k milage.

Last edited:
Buy another car keep it in climate controlled storage for 20 years and sell it for a rediculous amount of money. With 26k I would only drive it to car shows

What happened to having fun with the car? Simple bolt on's are a good starting point. Cold air intake, exhaust, SMIC with hard pipes etc. All allow you to go back to stock easily. Just keep the factory parts.

What happened to having fun with the car? Simple bolt on's are a good starting point. Cold air intake, exhaust, SMIC with hard pipes etc. All allow you to go back to stock easily. Just keep the factory parts.

Do you have any specific parts you would recommend? I don't want to do to much to the car. Want to mostly perform upgrades that will increase life of car.

I would recommend a split second air fuel controler the car will still maintain its stock apearance but be much more drivable and peppy and is also an essential part if you ever want to raise boost more safely

Buy another car keep it in climate controlled storage for 20 years and sell it for a rediculous amount of money. With 26k I would only drive it to car shows

I hope your joking.

drive the car and have fun with it. Even with 5 miles on the odo the msp won't ever be worth money. it just doesn't have any attributes that will make it collectible. maybe the mazdaspeed miata will be collectible, but even that isn't likely.

Nice I'm in the Woodbridge area I can always help out if u need it I would say just upgrade what goes bad like the smic switch that to a fmic

Nice I'm in the Woodbridge area I can always help out if u need it I would say just upgrade what goes bad like the smic switch that to a fmic

Thank man!

I was thinking about just swapping out old SMIC with ETS SMIC I believe. I have read that for a FMIC you have to cut the front of car if I'm not mistaken.

Back