How to install hitch in 2012+ Mazda 5

Vasy

:
2012 Mazda 5
This particular hitch is a Hidden Hitch model 60291
Class 1 Receiver Hitch 1-1/4" Square Opening
Tongue Capacity/Tow Capacity: 200/2000 Lbs

Please remember that 2012+ Mazda 5 is rated for 0(ZERO) towing capacity.
I only plan to use it as a bike hitch. Of course our Mazda in Europe is rated for 2000 pounds towing in Europe and 4000 with trailer brakes.
Tow at your own risk.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for posting this! I've been on the hunt for a hitch from any car OTHER than the ones designed for <'10. Your vid confirms the rear end of the <'10 and +'12 are identical (not 100% sure on the head shield but that’s not going to deter me). I am going to try the +'12 Curt on my '08; looks much better than any of the <'10 designs. Cheers!

I don't have a pre 2012 to compare it to for the measurements, hope the project goes well for you, or at least easy return :)

As far as Curt hitches go, from what I have seen they are well built, especially the finish. Any ideas on warranty issues with a hitch bolted up?

Great video. Just started researching idea of a hitch for bicycle use only, and up came this thread via search. Nice work, Vasy. I'm inexperienced but willing, and this inspires confidence. Just gonna do it over at my buddy's house with his car engineer tools and ramps and know-how and beverage cooler and. . .

As far as Curt hitches go, from what I have seen they are well built, especially the finish. Any ideas on warranty issues with a hitch bolted up?

Considering Mazda5 has zero towing capacity, I imagine you might have issues claiming transmission warranty.
I don't have warranty left and only use it as a bicycle carrier, so works for me :)

Back