NAV safety lock with voice commands to be fixed?

Just noticed another minor annoyance with the new 10.851 update.
When you first turn the car on it has that white warning screen, before 10.851, there's a setting so that it disappears after a few seconds.
Now with 10.851, you HAVE to touch the Agree button to get rid of it :(

Just noticed another minor annoyance with the new 10.851 update.
When you first turn the car on it has that white warning screen, before 10.851, there's a setting so that it disappears after a few seconds.
Now with 10.851, you HAVE to touch the Agree button to get rid of it :(

I noticed that too. Sucks! And it's supposed to increase safety? By creating another distraction?

I noticed that too. Sucks! And it's supposed to increase safety? By creating another distraction?

Yep. Not sure what the purpose of changing this was. Not sure if this is new, but I noticed you can navigate to your favorites while driving.

Reasons why the safety lock existed is liability in case of a law suit. So, now they removed the locking, the legal agreement stays. All this because there will always be idiots out there getting into an accident because they weren't paying attention and will try to cover their ass for it. Much like Liebeck v. McDonalds hot coffee incident. 'MERICA...

Last edited:
Just a quick tip. You can download new map color schemes. I finally found a good Google Maps style color scheme for the maps. It makes a HUGE difference!
Tom Tom's default colors suck and makes the nav look like the stone age.
The good one I found are made by Robert Palmqvist, and the map colors are called "Google Day" and "Google Night"

I downloaded the google themes with the previous update and the color scheme makes the unit look really upscale and much easier to read. I totally agree that the stock schemes look terrible.

Hi
Not sure if this is new, but for sice last update in Aussie, the voice command & voice playback is now in US, not GB english. It make a huge diff and now recognises most directions I give it. Before it would not recognise any.
If I face a US accent, its even more accurate.

Can anyone that have installed the google day/night map please post pics of the map screen? I am used to Magellan screens and the TomTom stock is far inferior in terms of differentiating highways, roads and interstates. Everything looks the same!

Can anyone that have installed the google day/night map please post pics of the map screen? I am used to Magellan screens and the TomTom stock is far inferior in terms of differentiating highways, roads and interstates. Everything looks the same!
Well, you can download it from tomtom home for free; I'll post a picture later today if I'm not beat to it. There are also hundred of user made themes to try out too.

Here's a few pictures, 1 of day, 2 of night:

IMG_20140101_113218.jpg
IMG_20140101_171213.jpg
IMG_20140101_171423.jpg

Disclaimer screen

So, now they removed the locking, the legal agreement stays.

Can you please clarify this for me? I haven't upgraded yet and want to know how it will work. I understand that the disclaimer screen doesn't automatically go away anymore, which is a drag. If I turn my car on and I'm on the audio screen (I use much more than nav), do I have to click through the disclaimer screen then, or only if I switch to nav? Thanks for the help.

Can you please clarify this for me? I haven't upgraded yet and want to know how it will work. I understand that the disclaimer screen doesn't automatically go away anymore, which is a drag. If I turn my car on and I'm on the audio screen (I use much more than nav), do I have to click through the disclaimer screen then, or only if I switch to nav? Thanks for the help.

Only when you switch to NAV.

Thanks nXt for those pics. I found color schemes similar to what Magellan uses for their GPSs. I still have to install them and see how it comes out but since I'm used to Magellan I think it will work for me. I'll post pics once I get it up and running.

Anyone know if the Privacy Screen can be disabled? The one where they ask if they can gather data (different from the disclaimer screen)? I always have to reply "no" but have to do it everytime I turn on the car.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the Privacy Screen can be disabled? The one where they ask if they can gather data? I always have to reply no but have to do it everytime I turn on the car.

The Sharing feature can be disabled in the settings, the Safety notice (since the latest update) can not.

what themes are those? the google ones? cause they dont look like that on mine...

As I've said in a previous reply:
The good one I found are made by Robert Palmqvist, and the map colors are called "Google Day" and "Google Night"

Bigger cities it gives the house/building outlines I've noticed.

Back