New Mazda6 / Atenza Newspaper Ad with Specs

Antoine

Administrator
This just appeared in the paper if anyone is interested to see specs and prices here in Japan...:)

8209683631_af92b2a780_b.jpg

8209623963_cc43c3e333_b.jpg

Here are the number conversions (rounded up)...

SKYACTIV-D 2.2L: 20km/L = 47 MPG (U.S.)
175PS @ 4,500rpm
310 lb/ft @ 2,000rpm

SKYACTIV-G 2.0L: 17.4km/L = 41 MPG (U.S.)
155PS @ 6,000rpm
145 lb/ft @ 4,000rpm

SKYACTIV-G 2.5L: 15.6km/L = 37 MPG (U.S.)
188PS @ 5,700rpm
184 lb/ft @ 3,250rpm

Here's the model range...

20S: 2.0L i-stop 2WD 6EC-AT (6-Speed Auto)

25S: 2.5L i-stop 2WD 6EC-AT (6-Speed Auto)

25S L Package (fully loaded):: 2.5L i-stop 2WD 6EC-AT (6-Speed Auto)

XD: 2.2L Diesel Turbo i-stop 2WD (6-Speed Auto)

XD: 2.2L Diesel Turbo i-stop 2WD (6-Speed Manual)

XD L Package (fully loaded): 2.2L Diesel Turbo i-stop 2WD (6-Speed Auto)

My Japanese is very basic but I did convert the following specs and added them to my original post...:)

Here are the number conversions (rounded up)...

SKYACTIV-D 2.2L: 20km/L = 47 MPG (U.S.)
175PS @ 4,500rpm
310 lb/ft @ 2,000rpm

SKYACTIV-G 2.0L: 17.4km/L = 41 MPG (U.S.)
155PS @ 6,000rpm
145 lb/ft @ 4,000rpm

SKYACTIV-G 2.5L: 15.6km/L = 37 MPG (U.S.)
188PS @ 5,700rpm
184 lb/ft @ 3,250rpm

Here's the model range...

20S: 2.0L i-stop 2WD 6EC-AT (6-Speed Auto)

25S: 2.5L i-stop 2WD 6EC-AT (6-Speed Auto)

25S L Package (fully loaded):: 2.5L i-stop 2WD 6EC-AT (6-Speed Auto)

XD: 2.2L Diesel Turbo i-stop 2WD (6-Speed Auto)

XD: 2.2L Diesel Turbo i-stop 2WD (6-Speed Manual)

XD L Package (fully loaded): 2.2L Diesel Turbo i-stop 2WD (6-Speed Auto)

I'm curious to see if they have a "high power" version of the Skyactiv-G 2.5 similar how the 2.2 Skyactiv-D and the 2 liter Skyactiv-G have two power ratings. I'm sure 189hp is a lot but an extra 12-15% like the latter two might please the mass market here in the US. Be nice with that light weight too.

Thanks for the translation. I'm a little cheesed-off that there's not more than one manual :(. Hope they bring a manual to both the Diesel and Gas engine.

Just looked at the MPG numbers, the 2.5 is one short from the new Altima, but that Diesel beats the Passat by 4 full MPG on the highway.

John Doonan, Motorsports Director for Mazda North American operations talked about the new race car.
“We have been eager to announce this car for months, but had to wait until the production car was revealed. The SpeedSource engineering team, working with the Mazda engineers, have been flat out for months on engine development. We're happy to report that the engine is meeting the performance targets for both power and endurance. That means 400+ hp for over 50 hours, with an engine that includes a very long list of production Mazda parts. This is not a pure race engine; it is a production block Skyactiv-D. We're excited about having our newest engine powering our newest car.”

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121129/grand_am/121129856#ixzz2DeaofbcR

Thanks for the translation. I'm a little cheesed-off that there's not more than one manual :(. Hope they bring a manual to both the Diesel and Gas engine.

Mazda has confirmed that both the SkyActiv-G and SkyActiv-D engines will be offered in America, both with the choice of a manual or automatic transmission.

Source: Mazda USA Media.

Let's hope so.

the press release is a bit vague: (Mazda6) To be available with a choice of SKYACTIV transmissions in either the SKYACTIV-Drive six-speed automatic or SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual, official EPA fuel economy numbers for the 2014 Mazda6 are not yet available but are targeted to be class leading.

The 2.5 gasser for some reason still feels underwhelming considering some competing base engines are stronger even with this being lighter. If this thing had 200hp or a little over, this would make cars like TSX, Regal and CC 2.0t look way overpriced than they already are lol

The 6 is lighter thus I'm sure that even though the engine is less powerful, it'll still be faster than other competing cars (Sonata, Optima, Accord, Fusion). It's to bad Mazda doesn't offer a higher output engine but given the take rate of the V6, I don't blame them.

I'm still hoping for manual trans for the diesel, but that press release is vague.

Apparently the figures on the press release linked on this thread aren't final. I'm speculating that the diesel would be the power option... makes me wonder if they'll add extra power and torque on it based on the data they get from racing it.

Edit: Another thing I'm wondering is if the gas engines take advantage of premium gas like hyundai's Theta family and the V6 in the gen coupe.

Last edited:
The 2.5 gasser for some reason still feels underwhelming considering some competing base engines are stronger even with this being lighter. If this thing had 200hp or a little over, this would make cars like TSX, Regal and CC 2.0t look way overpriced than they already are lol

Wait until you drive it. The output is on par with the competitors, and with more HP you will lose mpg. The diesel will be the premium version.

Back