full motor replace PLEASE HELP!!!

t.trujillo719

:
2002 protege5 2.0L 4CYL 5-SPEED Manual
we have a protege5 2.0L 4Cyl 5-speed manual trans, the rod bearings were spun so we pulled the motor after disassembling most of it to get it out, we then got a used motor almost fully built (except for water pump a/c and alternator) we do not have the oppertunity to put the car on the motor but we do have a cherry picker and the motor hoisted on that, the issue is there is not enough clearance for the clutch and flywheel to fall into the trans on one side and no clearance on the other side due to the body and pullies, the unfortunate issue is we are working in a 2-car garage with the few tools we have (hand tools, cherry picker, floor jack and stands and a couple friends) if you have any suggestions on how to sink this motor in its home in the easiest and safest way possible with what we have it would be greatly appreciated thank you

I always bolt up the trans to the motor then drop the motor/trans combo in together. It's much easier than trying to wiggle the trans onto that input shaft with everything in the engine bay. Unbolt the trans for the bay, drop it out the bottom, slide the motor and trans together outside of the engine bay on the ground or on the hoist. Bolt them together then drop the engine/trans combo in together with the hoist from the top. That's the easiest way.

That sounds like what we have to to, we spent a couple hours trying to wiggle it in with no luck last night , my biggest issue is I'm not experienced with trans and is really hate to mess up something on my brother in laws car

It's not hard. If you pulled a motor you can pull a trans. Just pull the axles out from the trans and hubs (it makes everything easier). Then lower the motor onto a chair or crate and lift the trans and slide it onto the input shaft while wiggling it so the splines line up. thread all the 17mm bolts from teh trans into the motor and tighten everything up. SO much easier to do while everything is not in the engine bay.

Hang in there, buddy. You'll get it! (2thumbs)

Last edited:
I'm not going to mess up and gearing or anything like that by pulling the axles out am I? And how hard is it going to be putting the axles back together after everything's in place?

Nah, you won't touch the internal gearing at all. It's tricky to get the axle nut off, you'll need a good impact gun or a long breaker bar. Then to get the axles out of the hub, rent a FWD axle pusher from Autozone. Then you'll need a crowbar or BFH (big f'ing hammer) to get the axles out of the transmission. Don't pull on the CV boots or axle itself because you'll tear the boots. But the green part of the axle can take a pounding so don't be scared to really whack it. Then to put them back in you'll see a little C clip on teh end of the axle that goes into the transmission. The opening to the C should be on top. You'll need to use some force to get the axle to "pop" back in, but just line up the splines and C clip and a good jerk will get them back in.

I'm making everything sound harder than it really is. But I've done it quite a few times, no worries.

The Diff will collapse.. You need to shove a screw driver in it before the second one comes out..

Umm, okay. Well in my experiences (3 FS-DE and 2 KL swaps and other Toyota and Honda swaps) we've pulled both axles and didn't have any issues. But if that helps then go for it, OP.

I've seen it happen to Hondas before, it didn't do it just from taking the axles out, it happens for the trans getting jarred around too much, the one I was helping with actually hit the frame and the diff collapsed from a light impact.

It's not that it will happen, it's that it can.

Huh, interesting. And thanks for explaining, tweety. Guess I'll have to be a little more careful next time. :)

If it's an MSP the LSD can't collapse by its design. If it's a refular protege with an open diff, it will collapse yes. I made a tool out of some PVC to keep the diff on my old winter beater together.

Lol, the diff will not collapse!!
I have had both axles out of MANY Proteges over the years and no problems at all....

This sounds like it came from the same book as "proteges eat head gaskets" LOL!!

Ok, Take the Axel out of both sides and bump the trans on the ground..

You will see what I mean.

As was said, shove a piece of PVC into it just to be sure.

Ok, Take the Axel out of both sides and bump the trans on the ground..

You will see what I mean.

As was said, shove a piece of PVC into it just to be sure.

Just let him have to pull it apart. Nothing like a 4-6 hour job turning into 10-12 if you don't know what your doing.

Open diffs have spider gears that are held in place by the axle splines; in case anyone was confused as to why its 'bad' to have both axles out and be messing with the gear box. If the trans is stationary, or handled very carefully...you may get lucky with the drivers side axle and half shaft removed...but imo its never something to toy with...if those spiders drop, the only way to fix it is taking it apart...

screw drivers, a piece of pipe, a big axle nut socket, etc. can be used to hold those things in place after the axles are out. Mazda has a SST (the number is available in the manual) that locks in place (its splined just like the axles), and my dealership quoted me something like $20 for one...but it sounded like it was an extra one lying around the shop haha.

Has anyone had a diff fall apart on them yet? Like, seen it happen in person?

Not trying to start s***, I've jsut never seen it happen of the 10 swaps I've done. But I'm gentle with my motors and trans. You have to be with lady hands. ;)

Not trying to start s***, I've jsut never seen it happen of the 10 swaps I've done. But I'm gentle with my motors and trans. You have to be with lady hands. ;)

Yeah, saw it happen on a friend's PGT, which also has a G series gear box. It slipped off the jack head and dinked off the concrete floor, and it sounded like glass had shattered...didn't know what was up until we shined a flash light in there when the axles wouldn't slip in...referred to a Haynes manual he had, and noticed the part about not letting the axle slots empty...live and learn...

I'm not saying its easy to do, just pointing out that it takes less than 2 minutes to prevent...Apparently it takes a pretty big knock to get them loose, but if it happens...it sucks...

I have had my transmission out a lot and I have never seen it or had it happen. But now im scared that I was just lucky. haha

Back