Advanced KEY Indicator light Red on Dash

carsen

:
2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
Good day all,

My 2008, now shows a red KEY indicator light on the dash. Everything works, but the request switches, which we have gotten used to using. The vehicle starts and the remote key phobe buttons work for locking and unlocking. It would seem that because the AK works for everything else but the request switches, that its not a programming issue. I have two keys and both react the same way. I have heard that I should change the batteries and it could be a bad antenna. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what their resolution, if any turned out to be.

Thank you, in advance
Have a wonderful day

Perhaps you inadvertently activated

Advanced Key Suspend
Function

If one advanced key is left in the vehicle
and a second advanced key is used to lock
it, the functions of the advanced key left
in the vehicle is temporarily suspended to
prevent theft of the vehicle.
The following are inoperable:
Starting the engine using the start
knob.

Operating the request switches.

To restore these functions, perform any
one of the following:
Press the lock or unlock button on the
advanced key which has had its
functions temporarily suspended.

While carrying another advanced key,
push in the start knob until the KEY
indicator light (green) illuminates.
Insert the auxiliary key and turn the
ignition switch to the ON position.

From your owner's manual

Last edited:
According to the Mazda CX-9 Quick Start Guide (available for download at the Mazda website on the CX-9 page under shopping tools), the red KEY light means that the key is not detected. If you haven't replaced the battery, I'd do that soon.

The battery is CR2025. It costs only $2 at Frys or any electronic store.
Try that first. If not, could be the sensor below the rear bumper. That one has the highest rate of failure since it is exposed.

Can someone point me to the tread (or explain) how to change the battery in the key? I have been searching, but cannot find it.
I believe I have the advanced key - long with the 4 buttons (lock, unlock, tailgate, and panic) and a Mazda logo at the top.
3490204483_3210d7674d_o.jpg

Last edited:
I have a card key, not the newer one, but usually, you remove the metal key first.
Then, you can access the button battery.
I am sure Owner's manual also shows you how to.
Need one?
Go to mymazda.com, register as a owner, and download a PDF copy.

To the OP, I think it is most likely the sensor under the rear bumper.
It is not difficult to replace it by yourself.
Two screws off and on. Part can be found online if you are willing to try it.

I had hoped it was the easy, but when I started looking at this I could not find anyway to get to the battery. So I hoped someone hear had.
The owners manual does not address this type of key., just the card type you mention.

Actually, I take that back. The manual in the glove box addressed the card type, but the online manual covered the right one.
As expected it was simple - once you know how? (2thumbs)

Back