My new CX-5

simpletwig

:
Mazda CX-5
Hi everyone, got my new Mazda CX-5 last week and am loving it throughly, and I don't mean that lightly... it's been 31 years since I owned a vehicle and my choice was clear, a properly and intelligently design vehicle that has style and great gas millage, the Mazda CX-5. After all I wouldn't just pick any vehicle given the importance of the occasion, and had been researching for over a year preparing for the day.

The last vehicle I owned was an olive Ford Galaxie 2 door and I parted ways with it in 1981 while in college.

Well I'm am loving the new cross-over. The lane change feature has already helped me once, and apparently there's an automatic horn sound if the vehicle is in drive and someone runs in front, as happened at a red light when a guy selling water found out. (Is it true that the horn will sound? or am I mistaken)...

I've also added a BlackVue BlackBox camera 400-G, HD, that also has a recording mode when the CX-5 is parked, although I don't leave it plugged in overnight for fear of the car battery draining, it's good when out and about. It plugs into the cig lighter, so isn't complicated, and the wires are easy to hide in the CX-5 while the camera itself is small and stays hidden behind the mirror (but away from the light sensor in the mirror).

Anyway, glad to be a part of a new community.

(oops, maybe post should be in the welcome board? move if you'd like)

Last edited:
simpletwig- Welcome- I am from way upstate (Canadian border/New York) and picked up mine last week. I feel exactly as you do. Being an old guy at 63 I also love the HID's at night , in deer country. I have owned some pretty cool cars in my day and so far this is in my top 2.

Welcome to the forum!!

Can you post some pics of your camera?
Did you install yourself? Or ahve a shop to it.
How'd you run the wires? I'm looking to install a camera as I got hit 2 times in 11 days and dealing with proving that I wasn't at fault sucks.

Well I'm am loving the new cross-over. The lane change feature has already helped me once, and apparently there's an automatic horn sound if the vehicle is in drive and someone runs in front, as happened at a red light when a guy selling water found out. (Is it true that the horn will sound? or am I mistaken)...

)

Horn - I've never heard (no pun intended) or read anywhere about this. In some countries it wouldn't be allowed due to laws of the time when horns can be sounded.

Thanks Jwlj,

I hope to post a video of how I installed it, wiring and general use. I was able to tuck almost all the wires under the dash, around the window, etc. without any problem. Fortunately the BlackVue comes with a long wire to do just that.

@prhac, I don't know, just know that when he went in front of my cx5 I do believe it was my horn that sounded, but right now I have no way of confirming it and haven't read anything.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video, can you post a picture of your setup? I'm probably going to have to do a similar setup for Sirius and I'm wondering how you plugged everything and did the cable... :)

Thanks

Thanks for the video, can you post a picture of your setup? I'm probably going to have to do a similar setup for Sirius and I'm wondering how you plugged everything and did the cable... :)

Thanks

Sure, but it'll take a bit of time... maybe i'll post a vid as I don't have an image hosting site handy, but until then I'll post a step by step:

Steps running camera wire:
First, the center mirror has a handy plastic chase that i use to initially hide the wire.
Second, everything I needed came with the BlackVue DR400-G HD, which was great, no tools required.

1) position blackvue 'bullet' camera/mount in front of mirror but don't block the mirror's light sensor;
2) run the wire through the mirror's plastic chase to the ceiling;
3) run the wire behind the ceiling next to the windshield to the right side;
4) run the wire down the window frame next to the windshield... it's tight by you can squeeze the wire behind the window column cover;
5) run the wire between the glove box and the door, and then under the glove box... here you'll need one of the wire mounts that's supplied for the BlackVue DR400-G HD;
6) run the wire under the right side of the center console using another wire mount to help hold it in place;
7) run the wire to the cigarette lighter using another wire mount to help hold the wire next to the wire chase groove on the CX-5 (in the compartment).

there are two cigarette lighters on the cx-5. i use the one between the front and back seats. I'm not sure but I think this one is on all the time while the other one shuts off when the vehicle is off, but I could be wrong. I should test it.

PROS of BlackVue Camera:
I am also impressed with the software of the BlackVue... it's automatic once you plug the USB converter (supplied) into your PC. Not only does this program give you all the video files you've recorded (automatically overwrites files when recording, estimate about 1 hours worth), but you can actually watch your progress on a Google map within the BlackVue program. So, not only is the video time/date stamped, has GPS map location, but it also has an impact sensor that will 'mark,' in your video list, when an event happened (and shows the G-Forces involved in X, Y, Z directions), and thus giving you a sort of black box recording device for great proof of what happened.

You can also export just a portion of your video by selecting the times to export, to keep files small and make video editing easier. Heck I'm so excited by this thing I should be one of their sales people :D

CONS:
Reading License Plates: Right now though I think my CS-5's dashboard is not dark enough to produce really clear pictures... that is the dark gray dash reflects light on to the windshield. To cover the dash with a black matte means covering the center speaker, so I'm not sure what to do... essentially you want your dash recorder to record license plates just in case you get into a hit and run situation. If you're within a car's length you can read the plates.

I unplug the wire for over-night use so the camera doesn't drain the car's battery. Maybe the other cigarette lighter shuts off when the vehicle is off which would solve this issue. Anyone know?

Last edited:
I added this self-sticky fuzzy thing so I can tell which one is for locking and thus don't have to take it out of my pocket. Anyone else modifying the key or find it problematic figuring out which button to push?

Edit: sorry images removed because of google search engine.

Last edited:
Interesting... You have a keyless system with cloth interior.

I was under the impression that keyless was only on GT with Tech, and leather was standard on GT.

Hi PhoenixINX,

I have the 2013 CX-5 Touring - Technology & MoonRoof/Bose Packages, and cloth interiors are standard. For the keyless system, the 'felt thumb press with lent' is extra. (yupnope)

Congrats on the CX-5. They're sweet rides! Any other mods planned? I like the way you routed the camera.

-Tyler

Thanks Tyler. I was a bit worried about the wire, but pleasantly surprised when it fell into place so easily. I think the wire had maybe 6" to spare.

Probably nothing more added, but would love to take off the dealership tag on the back, maybe simple license plate frames too.

I can stop be amazed about these cars. The colour was mine and wife's first choice - and she got it. Thus, I had to go with the second choice blue sky mica. Nice camera. I have to start some research into.

I added this self-sticky fuzzy thing so I can tell which one is for locking and thus don't have to take it out of my pocket. Anyone else modifying the key or find it problematic figuring out which button to push?

IMG_0597.JPG

I kind of do the same thing but it already has the Mazda logo raised on it, and then I just hit the first button below it when I'm leaving the car. Don't really need the felt.

Thanks Jwlj,

I hope to post a video of how I installed it, wiring and general use. I was able to tuck almost all the wires under the dash, around the window, etc. without any problem. Fortunately the BlackVue comes with a long wire to do just that.

@prhac, I don't know, just know that when he went in front of my cx5 I do believe it was my horn that sounded, but right now I have no way of confirming it and haven't read anything.

Ok, here's a new channel posting my first video of the BlackVue in use. Hope you all enjoy it, and welcome me to YouTube with a sub.

I know Church ave when I see it :D grew up in Bensonhurst myself. Gotta have a lot of patience and very smart idea with the camera.

Thanks bcooper, my daughter picked out this color as her second... the blue mica is great but a little too sporty for an old guy like me.

I did a lot of camera research on youtube, most watching reviews, and the size was an important factor, that is I didn't really want it blocking my view or being totally obvious from the outside. Then I found out that the BlackVue had so many other features including quality of resolution that it seemed like a good choice, but it's over $200 USD. There are other models under $100, just depends on what you hope to get out of it. I hope to read license plates as I've been involved in a hit and run once (they were caught because the second car hit got their plate number) and don't want to be in that situation again.

@nation845 it's so much faster with the felt rather than figuring out which end is up first by feeling the mazda logo.

@Gio26NJ thanks, yeah I've enjoyed some of the bike and car cam vids on YouTube so why not. Besides I need to learn Adobe Premiere and this is a fun way to do it. As you can see I have a long way to go in terms of quality editing.

Last edited:
My fiance and I just moved from Brooklyn (Greenpoint) down to Florida. Hopefully youre CX-5 stays nice in Brooklyn...I had my RX-7 up here for 3 months and it got really beat up, even with the bumper protectors. :( People really just have no consideration for anyone else's car. I can't even count how many times I saw people back into other cars, knock side mirrors off, door-ding, etc.

Nice Camera set-up....

* Can you easily remove it, if you wish ?

The power outlet in the center console is "hot" all the time, .... same with the outlet in the rear / cargo area. but, the outlet in front of the shifter, is "switched". (off, when the car if off ). I put a multi outlet (a quality one ) in the vehicle, powered by the switched power outlet. (see pic below, in the lower right side.... attached w/ some velcro... )..... I use that for a couple of things.... USB power, a "battery meter", a lighter, and power for a portable GPS.

Your idea about the felt on the key is a good solution..... I found myself trying to get used to the "feel" of the key, so I could open / lock the car, without taking the key out of my pocket..... Your method works perfectly. I used the "fuzzy side" of some velcro..... (see pic)

Mazdakeyvelcro.jpg

GPSmountsm.jpg

Originally Posted by CaribouMainiac
Nice Camera set-up....

* Can you easily remove it, if you wish ?

The power outlet in the center console is "hot" all the time, .... same with the outlet in the rear / cargo area. but, the outlet in front of the shifter, is "switched". (off, when the car if off ). I put a multi outlet (a quality one ) in the vehicle, powered by the switched power outlet. (see pic below, in the lower right side.... attached w/ some velcro... )..... I use that for a couple of things.... USB power, a "battery meter", a lighter, and power for a portable GPS.

Your idea about the felt on the key is a good solution..... I found myself trying to get used to the "feel" of the key, so I could open / lock the car, without taking the key out of my pocket..... Your method works perfectly. I used the "fuzzy side" of some velcro..... (see pic)
Fuzzy keyless entry is catching on, lol. It's a simple design oversight and I'm sure will be corrected with a couple easy modifications to the key. I did it for the very same reason, to keep the key in my pocket and know what was what instantly. It works.

Yes you can easily take the camera with you leaving the mount (taped) on the windshield. It just slides out while pushing a release button.

Thanks for the info about the front outlet, I think I'm going to start using it, but then I'll miss some good parking mode footage. Still knowing that it might drain my battery if I forget to unplug it is something I would rather avoid.

You can order a $75 switch box and also a battery saver device with the BlackVue but I'm not sure of the set up. I think the dealership will install it to not void any Mazda warranties.

Originally Posted by theorie
My fiance and I just moved from Brooklyn (Greenpoint) down to Florida. Hopefully youre CX-5 stays nice in Brooklyn...I had my RX-7 up here for 3 months and it got really beat up, even with the bumper protectors. People really just have no consideration for anyone else's car. I can't even count how many times I saw people back into other cars, knock side mirrors off, door-ding, etc.
I drove for about an hour today and got a bit more video footage, so yeah I'm not expecting too much (uploading it later).

Last edited:
Back