How To: Sedan Headlights ----> P5 Headlights / P5 Headlights ----> Sedan Headlights

DarkAngel

Contributor
How To: Sedan Headlights ----> P5 Headlights / P5 Headlights ----> Sedan Headlights

Now like any how to, I will not be responsible for anyone attempting this mod and not installing them correctly or causing damage to their vehicle. You do this mod at your own risk. Viewer discretion is advised, you have been warned.

Disclaimer: The only credit I take is the drawings I made for this how to. The information was already posted by several previous members on here as all I did was make it much more clear with illustrations.

Bibliography:
thewrench
TheMAN
=================================================================================

MSPLighsonProtege5.png

=================================================================================

Protege5LightsonMSP.png

As always attempt to use the OEM H7 adapter as it aids in seating the bulb correctly and provides a base for the bulb retainer clip to apply firm pressure. When the OEM adapter is used, substitute the female spade connectors for an Aftermarket Female H4 Plug as the adapter is made to connect to it like OEM. If not, you will need to use the female spade connectors and something to help seat the bulb like this aftermarket adapter pictured below. You could essentially use female spade connectors for the contacts if you so desire. This is entirely at your discretion.

H7Adapter.png

Good Luck!

Last edited:
nice diagrams. much better than the copy i've been lugging around with me. this thread will be my new reference for the conversion when noobee's ask for help.

Thanks. Yea the question kept coming up so now it's up to the newer members that need it to look at it.

Now like any how to, I will not be responsible for anyone attempting this mod and not installing them correctly or causing damage to their vehicle. You do this mod at your own risk. Viewer discretion is advised, you have been warned.

Disclaimer: The only credit I take is the drawings I made for this how to. The information was already posted by several previous members on here as all I did was make it much more clear with illustrations.

Bibliography:
thewrench
TheMAN

MSPLighsonProtege5.png

Protege5LightsonMSP.png

As always attempt to use the OEM H7 adapter as it aids in seating the bulb correctly and provides a base for the bulb retainer clip to apply firm pressure. When the OEM adapter is used, substitute the female spade connectors for an Aftermarket Female H4 Plug as the adapter is made to connect to it like OEM. If not, you will need to use the female spade connectors and something to help seat the bulb like this aftermarket adapter pictured below. You could essentially use female spade connectors for the contacts if you so desire. This is entirely at your discretion.

H7Adapter.png

Good Luck!
Thanks Dark Angel that illustration really helps out alot better im going to apply this illustration tomorrow after work. ttyl man thanks again!

quick question, considering getting new sedan headlights for the p5 and doing a retrofit. i understand that the morimoto kit is completely bolt on and no cutting is required to the shrouds. but do i need to purchase the retro kit with the h4 wire harness in order the have high beams as well?

i would shot Matt at Retrofit Source an email and ask him. tell him you have separate high and low beam trigger wires, and see what he recommends. i don't think an H4 harness is what you want...

quick question, considering getting new sedan headlights for the p5 and doing a retrofit. i understand that the morimoto kit is completely bolt on and no cutting is required to the shrouds. but do i need to purchase the retro kit with the h4 wire harness in order the have high beams as well?

I ran a 9006 female end to the high beam wires and spliced it in, then connected it to the male connector on the bixenon trigger; and you run everything else as normal.

Have a question myself though...How do I hook up the side bulbs in the headlight for the sedan on a p5..?

I was thinking the same thing IshSon, I think some splicing into the side markers on the front bumper might power those bulbs. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread as I would like to get those bulbs lit up too. I don't have the stock connector that goes to that bulb though unfortunately, I'll have to check to see if any store may sell the male bit (if that's the right bit).

Maybe, if you want to use those side bulbs as blinkers, you could try and use the wires going to the blinker, but there are 3 there and only two on the side marker so I'm going to be lazy and just use that to provide a power source!

So, I just hooked the side markers up :) i spliced it to the side marker on the bumper. A little bit of a hassle getting the wires together, but it was easier than I thought.

There is a small amount of light bleed from the newly working lights, but I can live with that.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=50C06A9C62DCD437!1093&authkey=!AAg-P_WHzFnK1yM

I think it looks a little busy but its nice that now all my lights work :)

Here's my iffy connection at the light itself. I dont have the old connector so I just pushed the wires onto the plugs.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=50C06A9C62DCD437!1095&authkey=!AKnJvZiFHtnZ5JI

So, I just hooked the side markers up :) i spliced it to the side marker on the bumper. A little bit of a hassle getting the wires together, but it was easier than I thought.

There is a small amount of light bleed from the newly working lights, but I can live with that.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=50C06A9C62DCD437!1093&authkey=!AAg-P_WHzFnK1yM

I think it looks a little busy but its nice that now all my lights work :)

Here's my iffy connection at the light itself. I dont have the old connector so I just pushed the wires onto the plugs.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=50C06A9C62DCD437!1095&authkey=!AKnJvZiFHtnZ5JI

nice. thanks for putting it up! where did you get the connector?

In the second pic? There isn't one... I just had some relatively thick speaker wire that I pushed the prongs into... I wish I had the OEM conector off the original Protege sedan but alas, I don't. I tried to look up 5003 connector but I didn't find anything relevant. As far as getting the power source, I tapped into that corner marker. I was thinking I'd need to take the bumper off but I just pulled aside the plastic fender liner bit to get to the wiring. If you need any more pics, I'll have to get them tomorrow if that's fine by you. It was relatively easy. If I can warn you though, if you splice into the corner marker wiring, be extra careful as the insulation for the wire is rather thin. I knicked it a little and, being the somewhat strange person I am, I pulled the sheathing down to where I could wrap my new wire around it w/o breaking the original connection to the bumper marker.

That all made a great deal more sense in my head, that's for sure...

No prob :) if you come across a connector that fits, could ya post a pic or link up please? I like that the lights work but hate how shoddy my connecting is :S

That does seem like an easier idea. Ill check one out in the summer- im in no bug rush, besides, only I know the connections aren't A+ material. (and you guys...) but yeah, I need to get a few things from a junkyard. The pigtails, some wiper bolt caps, the license plate bracket for the trunk if they're the same. And if they have a silver protege sedan, I might pick the whole front bumper off depending on price and condition. (ill keep em both and maybe switch em out in summer/winter)

EDIT: having the bulbs attached how I do makes the front bumper removal a bit of a PITA as I need to unplug the lights in the markers that come oem in our front bumpers. As of now, I removed the side lights that go in the headlamp on the sedan lights. I may try and black the orange reflector out on a later date to where it resembles the orig protege5 light somewhat. Besides, there was a bit of light bleed coming from the sides that I couldn't fix and that bothered me. Just letting you guys know. Perhaps someone may be able to wire them in with the corner lamps that double as indicators in the headlight assy (the two dot lights closest to the grill) ill have a tinker with that idea when it's nicer out

Last edited:
Back