oil leak from.. wait, what is this thing?

i can't get a picture, I can barely see it from under the car. the leak is on the rear of the engine, above the filter , below the intake. it feels like theres a sort of rubber cork in the back of the block, with a lug terminal bolted to it.

I think its leaking from here:
Screen%20Shot%202012-05-01%20at%208.49.12%20PM.png

appreciate any insight.

that would be your knock sensor

No, that's the oil pressure sender. The knock sensor on an FS has an 8" long pigtail.

That's definitely the knock sensor. It has fluid that will ooze out but you may be leaking oil from the cooler or oil pan. Mine also has oil up there.

Thank you Stealth. Like I said, the knock sensor on our motors has an 8" long pigtail on it, not a single 1/4" spade terminal.

Just do a quick google search for "Mazda Protege knock sensor" and "Mazda Protege oil pressure sensor"...

yes that would be the oil pressure sensor.
scaled.php

here is a picture of both. the red arrow is pointing to the knock sensor

Based on what the OP is saying, the sensor he is describing has a single terminal and a "rubber cork"...

I didn't realize that was a specific diagram for the oiling system, doesn't even show the KS.

Oil Pressure Sender, I have a leak there as well, Bout a quart a month, I just recently took some Hi temp silicon to cover it up, so far so good, but it is incredibly hard to maneuver you hand in the area and apply it, but it can be done.

Being a mechanic I think its funny how many people are misjudged to what an oil pressure sending unit is and the knock sensor. The knock sensor has the long pigtail on it that goes up over the edge of your camshaft pulley. The oil pressure sender just has a spade for a connector. Also if you take out the knock sensor it will not leak because it is just a tapped hole with a dead end...."just detects vibration like signals i guess you can say." If you take out the oil sender....duh its connected to an oil passage in the block so it will start oozing your lovely oil all down the block. And yes it is very common for oil senders to leak after time. A lot of vehicles have an actual plastic connector built on it and oil will leak in the actual electrical connector.

Back