Headlight convertion (P5 to Protege)

Prote

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I was wondering if there is anyone who can tell me what i should do to get a protege headlight to work on my P5(if there is a thread about this already im sorry didnt see it)

I have tried to look, but have not found anything. I have used the SEARCH, but it did not help for the smart asses that say to use the search. If you find it let me knoe please or vice a versa

MSP to P5 headlight conversion

I was wondering if there is anyone who can tell me what i should do to get a protege headlight to work on my P5(if there is a thread about this already im sorry didnt see it)

Yes i did my Headlight conversion on my 2003 Mazda Protege 5 with MSP Headlights the Headlights plug right in but the problem is seeing that on the MSP Protege Headlight the high beam and low beams are integrated together. So after you install the MSP headlights in your P5 you wont have High beam headlights at all. So your Going to need to buy a Relay switch at the Auto Parts store and connect them to your Headlights. Here is a Picture and Diagram on how to wire it .
MSPheadlight.jpg

Last edited:
Yes i did my Headlight conversion on my 2003 Mada Protege 5 with MSP Headlights the Headlights plug right in but the problem is seeing that on the MSP Protege Headlight the high beam and low beams are integrated together. So after you install the MSP headlights in your P5 you wont have High beam headlights at all. So your Going to need to buy a Relay switch at the Auto Parts store and connect them to your Headlights. Here is a Picture and Diagram on how to wire it .
MSPheadlight.jpg

you are the s***...but what about the connectors?

IMO lighting on sedan sucks along with most other single beams. Dual beams are way better I've been pondering going to the dual beam p5 lights

IMO lighting on sedan sucks along with most other single beams. Dual beams are way better I've been pondering going to the dual beam p5 lights
So go ahead and have fun with your P5 Dual Beams dont ruin the fun for some one else when there trying to complete the MSP Headlights install because these are a great pair of Headlights regardless if the P5 are a little Brighter this is a great Mod!

Last edited:
I'm not saying to not do it I like the looks of the single beams as well I was just giving a heads up on the horrible lighting.

I'm not saying to not do it I like the looks of the single beams as well I was just giving a heads up on the horrible lighting.

ahh maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the bed??

P5 light's ftw!!! If you want to convert to msp headlight's another way would just be to buy a hid kit for the msp headlight plug an play

ahh maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the bed??

P5 light's ftw!!! If you want to convert to msp headlight's another way would just be to buy a hid kit for the msp headlight plug an play

thats what I did and I never looked back lol

Btw all 01-03 sedans have the single beams p5 was the odd ball with the ugly chrome dual beams :)

I think we know which car has what num nut's...... He wants to convert so ppl are giving option's on how to do it or helping.. you are doing neither so stfu and keep it moving.. :)

Hmmm . . . . . Well if you really think the lighting is really that bad all you have to do is buy a pair of H4 Sylvania Ultra bright Head light bulbs! Install those and then you wont be complaining about Horrible lighting anymore because those are really bright!

I think we know which car has what num nut's...... He wants to convert so ppl are giving option's on how to do it or helping.. you are doing neither so stfu and keep it moving.. :)

Do you really have to be such a dick about it? Y'all kept referring to them as msp lights so I wasn't sure, take a midol or something

actually, i've had both stock sedan lights, protege5 stock lights (with and without HID kit), and projector retrofit. the sedan lights with a set of 80/100w bulbs were almost just as good as my current projector retro fit set. by comparison, the protege5 lights were horrible. the stock sedan lights actually have an ECE cutoff pattern, which is the best you can get for halogen lights. the protege5 lights were blobs of goo.

as for mounting sedan lights into a protege5, the wiring needs to be modified to work correctly with the H4 bulbs used in the sedan lights. check the link below for the wiring required to make them work correctly, along with the parts required.

http://www.mazdas247.com/members/njaremka/MSP%20lights%20on%20P5.pdf

Well I've found the sedan lights to be inferior. In any case, I also wonder if putting HID kits works less well in sedan housings. I have a set in a 2000 Protege and wonder if it's the shield around the lower half that's maybe reflecting back up, giving a real poor pattern. (I don't have P5 HIDs to compare tho) I was gonna paint the inside of the shield black with hi-heat paint?

Well I've found the sedan lights to be inferior. In any case, I also wonder if putting HID kits works less well in sedan housings. I have a set in a 2000 Protege and wonder if it's the shield around the lower half that's maybe reflecting back up, giving a real poor pattern. (I don't have P5 HIDs to compare tho) I was gonna paint the inside of the shield black with hi-heat paint?

the 1999-2000 sedan headlights are different than the 2001+ version. the 2001+ lights are MUCH better than the 99-00 version. any HID kit in any sedan headlight housing is not good. output may be brighter, but beam pattern and glare will be much worse.

Hmmm so can I drop in 2001+ sedan headlamps (or P5 lamps) without any mods into a 2000 sedan?

Last edited:
Hmmm so can I drop in 2001+ sedan headlamps (or P5 lamps) without any mods into a 2000 sedan?

not unless you change the bumper, fenders, and hood also. then, yeah, drop right in. oh, and you might have to do some wiring changes, since the 2001+ headlights have an extra bulb for the corner light.

Back