Swapping transmission

I just bought my 2003 Protege5 and it has a sad Automatic Transmission. Im looking to swap to a manual trans. Ultimatley I want to get more power and responsiveness from my p5. Is it a waste of time to swap and if so what could I do with my auto p5? its a sport shift p5 btw.

why didn't you just look around more for a manual P5? Im sure you can do it i think someone has already started a thread on here about swapping the trans. As far as is it worth doing mehh i guess if you want it and you got the time to do it go crazy.

Swapping out the trans will cost more than what you paid for the car.

You literally need a second (Donor) Car

You need the
wiring harness,
drive shafts
clutch
flywheel
center console
pedals
ECU
radiator
engine mounts

Drive it until you can find a manual P5. Possibly trade for it or get the money ahead of time. I bought my Manual P5 with 98k miles for $3,700

I did the swap, albeit - it wasn't for the G5M-R/FSDE - it was with the G15M-R/KL swap. But the pieces are pretty much the same either way:

MTX
linkage
clutch pedal (I cut down my brake pedal so it wasn't getting in the way of the clutch pedal)
hydraulic circuit (Master Cylinder, line, hose, Slave Cylinder)
clutch kit
mounts
axles

I left the ATX harness in the car....didn't see a need to swap that out. Just wired into it for NSS and Reverse lights.

ECU - I left the ATX in there until it burnt up, then I got an MTX ECU for hellacheap from Probetalk.

All-in-all - I'd do it again. It wasn't hard at all, and the responsiveness is well worth it, imho.

I have a complete 5 speed swap including wiring harness back to the fuel pump with cruise control if you are serious about the swap. Pm me for details

that's my mistake - it was the KL G-series trans, not the FS G-series. I may have posted them incorrectly - needz moar coffeez..

different bellhousing 5th gears and linkage
for the kl to the fs

i've never owned an auto, so my extremely bias towards stick shifts
but the voice of reason says
if you want a fun car, save up money buy a junker off craigslist for like 500 and have at it

Last edited:
i know ihone has, but im just saying to the garland if he can get a junker for cheap, i think it would be more fun to have a car you can do whatever you want to it without warning about it

Back