Car wont start... Any suggestions?

navywife202

:
2004 Mazda RX-8
I have a rx8.. Last sunday (a week ago) my husband went out to move my car out of the driveway so he could leave for work the next morning. It started fine. Not even 12 hours later, I went to get in it to go to work and it would not crank.

We took the battery and had it tested, it is perfectly fine. Just had the spark plugs replaced about a month ago. The fuel line seems fine along with the fuel pump. When trying to start it, the belt turns, but the engine itself does not turn over.

I just called the dealership near me, and at first he said that it sounds like it is flooded, but once I told him that it has been sitting in front of my house for a week, he said it could be something different.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what we should try before I pay a crap load to have it towed to the dealership for them to charge me a lot just to look at it???
I really want my car back. I am so tired of driving my husbands jeep!! (deadhorse

It could be flooded, but if the car is not turning over than it is something different. Starter or solenoid come to mind. If you can get the car to the Auto Hobby Shop on base they should be able to help you diagnose the problem. If the car is turning over but not starting it is likely that your husband flooded it when he moved it. there is a procedure you can follow in the owners manual. Something like crank for ten sec while holding the gas pedal down then wait ten sec then repeat two more times. That procedure worked for me the one time I needed it.

I was stationed there in the late 90's. I loved that place, so nice.

Last edited:
If the belt is turning then your engine is turning. For some reason with this car, if it's flooded badly enough then the gas stays in the combustion chambers a long time (when my wife flooded hers the first time it was a month before I got home to fix it, and liquid gas came out of the spark plug holes when I was cranking it). Flooding happens when you start the car and don't let it run until the temperature gauge has started to rise (like what your husband did when he moved it).

Like solidtrance said, you can try the factory method of clearing the engine. I haven't had luck with that the two times I have done it, I removed the plugs and cranked the engine to blow out any gas, let it air out for a while, cleaned the plugs and put them back in. I still had to do that several times. One thing to note, the first few years of 8 had starter issues. If yours is still the original one then that could be adding to your trouble (as in, it isn't cranking the engine fast enough).

Back