When to change trans fluid

Wurf

:
2010 CX9 Blue
Just wondering when most of you who have changed your trans fluid decided to do it? How many miles?
I'm almost to 30K and the trans seems fine except when it's cold.
I notice second gear synchronizing not so well until the car is really well warmed.
After it's been warm for awhile it's fine, but before then it almost acts like I didn't fully depress the clutch going into second sometimes.
Not sure if changing the fluid is going to help this but it seems odd that it goes away once it's warm, which leads me to believe there's some viscosity issues with the factory fluid.

Do it now, use the Ford Motorcraft fluid, too. It's like $19 a quart but good stuff. Need 3 quarts. Fill on a LEVEL surface.

Do it now, use the Ford Motorcraft fluid, too. It's like $19 a quart but good stuff. Need 3 quarts. Fill on a LEVEL surface.

Do it now. Use the Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid and enjoy! I had a lot of trouble finding a dealership that had it in stock and when I called and told them I had a Mazda they lose their mind. Tell them its for Focus and give them part number XT-M5-QS to make sure you end up with the right stuff.

I've been changing mine every 30,000 miles which is probably a bit of overkill. FWIW, I change it every year in my Miata but that sees a bit more abuse than the Speed3 does.

That's the consensus from everyone who's used it. It's what I'll be using next time I do mine. I used Royal Purple last time, and I've heard food things about Redline, but the favorite is the Ford stuff.

Do it now. Use the Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid and enjoy! I had a lot of trouble finding a dealership that had it in stock and when I called and told them I had a Mazda they lose their mind. Tell them its for Focus and give them part number XT-M5-QS to make sure you end up with the right stuff.

I've been changing mine every 30,000 miles which is probably a bit of overkill. FWIW, I change it every year in my Miata but that sees a bit more abuse than the Speed3 does.

The car is still under warranty. I wonder if this would cause me any warranty issues down the road, using non-spec fluid in the trans? I guess I could have the shop that services my car and changes the oil for me do it too, and simply not tell Mazda about it if something happens later, but I'd rather not if simply changing it for the stock fluid works just as well. If it weren't under warranty I'd use the Ford spec stuff without hesitation.
Thoughts?

Never mind. I did some checking around the internet and this Ford fluid comes highly recommended all over the place. People are even putting in 2010 models with low miles on them. The only other suggestions I see are Redline and Amsoil gear oils with same viscosity specs as the OEM stuff and more folks seem to favor the Ford fluid.

Thanks!

I just had mine changed out with OEM at the dealership as part of the 30K major maintenance. Seems to be a bit smoother, even when cold here in DC.

I just had mine changed out with OEM at the dealership as part of the 30K major maintenance. Seems to be a bit smoother, even when cold here in DC.
What else did they do at the 30K "major maintenence"? Just curious. I'm almost there and will probably hit the number in another month.

Thanks

Buy oil at Ford today, doing the swap tomorrow. I'm at 70k of 99% highway driving. I have a 50 mile round trip commute each day, so the miles add up.

What else did they do at the 30K "major maintenence"? Just curious. I'm almost there and will probably hit the number in another month.

Thanks

It isn't really a major maintenance interval. Just oil, filter, air filter if needed, and cabin air filter if needed.

Buy oil at Ford today, doing the swap tomorrow. I'm at 70k of 99% highway driving. I have a 50 mile round trip commute each day, so the miles add up.
Man, I'm at just over 26K! :) I used to drive that kind of miles. Grateful I don't have to do that any more. Now my daily commute is <18 miles round trip.

I've elected to put the OEM spec 75W90 GL4 in the trans to keep warranty on it.
I'll experiment with the Ford fluid once the warranty expires assuming I still own the car, but for now, going with gear lube and hoping the diff is quieter and shifting into second when cold is a bit easier.

I find it hard to believe that using the Motorcraft stuff would void a warranty... But in any case let us know how you like the 75W90 stuff. What brand did you go with?

I'm having it changed and letting the shop I use choose the fluid. I plan to discuss using a synthetic over a conventional but the shop owner is not a big fan of synthetics, particularly in diffs and transmissions. I run syth in the crankcase though. I change it every 4k which is probably a waste of $$ but I like the extra HP it provides more than anything else. He's all for it in turbo cars.

I'm sure either conventional or synthetic will be just as well for another 30K in the car and if I don't like it I can always change it again and see.

Found out nobody has conventional 75W90 GL4 fluid in stock around here. I ended up calling a local Ford dealer and got a part number.
The Motorcraft part number is XT4QGL and they'll have to order some. It's about $13 a quart.
This is what I'm going with.

Back