New 2012 mazda5, Steering vibration?

Update

Received the car last night. From 0-40 mph the car is smooth as butter. All the vibration is gone. The minute you hit 65mph the vibration is worse than before. 65-80mph the steering vibrates similar to when you press the brake on a car with severely warped rotors. In addition post alignment, now the car pulls SEVERELY to the right.

Talked to the dealer this morning. They are writing a "comeback report," and scheduled me in for Saturday. They said they will give the car to a different tech.

I think I will have them rotate the front wheels to the back, and test it out, as it seems, we need to narrow down the problem. I gave them the opportunity to fix it, but after 2 days they gave me the car back worse than I gave it to them. :(

At this point, they need to switch the fronts R-L and see if the pull changes direction. If it does, then move the tire they believe is at fault to the rear and test drive again. If it takes care of the pull and steering wheel vibration, then best course is to warranty the tire out and make it Toyo's problem. If moving that tire doesn't solve the problem, then it was the other front at fault, which they can confirm by moving it to the back and test driving again. If moving ALL 4 tires around like this doesn't entire solve the problem, its time to look at the suspension or maybe even the rack/PS pump. I was thinking earlier that maybe it could be the pump not building pressure appropriately, as I can feel the pump struggle against me when rpms are low and it is definitely a throbbing vibration.

At this point, they need to switch the fronts R-L and see if the pull changes direction. If it does, then move the tire they believe is at fault to the rear and test drive again. If it takes care of the pull and steering wheel vibration, then best course is to warranty the tire out and make it Toyo's problem. If moving that tire doesn't solve the problem, then it was the other front at fault, which they can confirm by moving it to the back and test driving again. If moving ALL 4 tires around like this doesn't entire solve the problem, its time to look at the suspension or maybe even the rack/PS pump. I was thinking earlier that maybe it could be the pump not building pressure appropriately, as I can feel the pump struggle against me when rpms are low and it is definitely a throbbing vibration.
Yeah I am going to go and wait there, till its fixed. INitially they were gung ho about ordering a new toyo tire. But after talking to MAZDA technical, they seemed to have changed their tune.

The vibration is happening at RPM of 2300+ at higher speeds only. I imagine it is a tire/wheel problem and noa PS pump problem.

Hope the mystery can be solved but the dealer seems to be on your side. (Assuming that everything will be charged to warranty)

UPDATE

After spending 3.5 hours at the dealer on Saturday, everthing now is fixed. WE just came to the conclusion (from lots of prodding from me, call to the dealership owner, blah blah), that it doesn't make sense for me to come back to the dealer daily with this problem.

So we pulled another 2012 from invetory, I test drove it, it had 11 miles on it. Though at this point my tire/wheels has 515 miles on it, they agreed to swap all the wheels/tires from that car to mine.

I test drove again, with their Tech in my car, and everything is perfect.

So OP, was it just the tires that needed to replaced or wheels, or both?

They initially said it was tires. But after "fixing it" vibration was worse. Didn't know what it was, but I got brand new wheels/tires and all is good

The tires are crap. They vibrate because they suck. Period. If you got some that are better by switching them out, congratulations, but it's the tires so get used to it until you get decent ones.

The vibration at idle, is normal. It will get better over time until you don't notice it anymore. I can't feel mine anymore.

I have a feeling you're going to be pulling your hair out on this car. I hope not, but I just have that feeling. Best of luck.

I haven't had any problems with vibrations of any sort on my 2012. I have the Sport, though, so I have the Bridgestone Turanzas as my OEM tires, not the Toyos. With 9,000 miles on them and a rotation at 7,000 they haven't given me the slightest problem, shockingly. I still plan on switching them out for Continental ExtremeContact DWS all-season tires when it gets colder because I need better winter traction than the Bridgestones seem to provide (based on my wife's car using them and the horrendous reviews on TireRack) but it's not quite cold and snowy enough here for dedicated winter tires. I don't notice a vibration at idle or through the pedals, either.

Hmm maybe something really is wrong with my car. Thanks for the tip Orangutan!

I also have Bridgestone tire but previous courtesy 2012 Mazda 5 has Toyo. Which tire is better?

Though I prefer the 17s to the 16s, having driven over a 1000 miles on both tires, I would pick the bridgetsone.

Mazda 2012 vibration, Toyo tires suspect

Mazda 2012 vibration, Toyo tires suspect

This car had a vibration from the beginning. Didn't think much of it, figured I'd get the tires balanced and it would go away. 2nd balancing act and we have a vibration at 50 and another at 70 MPH. While I'm a fan of going 80, there are too many cars on the road to do that!

The first place I took the car the guy said the tires where "mounted funny" and the tires appeared to be "egg shaped". The second place thinks the first guys were idiots, I'm not so quick to dismiss it.

The dealer is going to take a look at it next week. The service manager said the Toyo tires only last 24k miles. He didn't think much of them.

Anyone have experience with these Toyo tires?

Anyone have a similar experience?

-Dan

Just thought I'd post here that I am also experiencing a slight wheel vibration which is most noticeable at 60-65mph. Car has 100 miles on it and 17" tires. Just swapped to steel rims and 16" winter tires - vibration is exactly as it was before - not really any better or worse.

Well, I've done some searching and see others have noted vibration issues and middle row seat shaking in this forum and on the forums at Edmunds.com. One of my middle row seats (other had big child seat in it, so not as bad) was shaking pretty violently at times today, and there is a definite pronounced vibration coming from both the front and the rear at around 60-65 mph. Will have to take to the dealer and see what's up.

I have the Toyos 17". If you read my saga, mine was finally fixed, after taking it to dealer few times.

I saw that you had to get a new set of tires and rims, but I already have a new set of tires and rims on the car (brand new Mazda steel rims and winter tires), so it shouldn't have anything to do with those. I'm taking it in tomorrow so will keep this thread updated.

I have the Toyos 17". If you read my saga, mine was finally fixed, after taking it to dealer few times.

I saw that you had to get a new set of tires and rims, but I already have a new set of tires and rims on the car (brand new Mazda steel rims and winter tires), so it shouldn't have anything to do with those. I'm taking it in tomorrow so will keep this thread updated.
Well my car had a brand new set of wheels/tires from factory.

I had dealer replace them with another new set of wheels/tires from another car, which finally solved the problem. No amount of balance, rotation, solved the initial problem, thus switching all 4 wheels/tires worked.

Good luck.

Back