fmic vs smic

opie

:
03 mazdaspeed protege
So I'm going with the gt28rs turbo and was wondering if I could use the upgraded bar and plate smic or if it would be better 2 go with a fmic. Someone told me the smic would do a good job and would have better throttle response. Anyone else know if this is true.

Yes due to shorter routing but you heat soak easier after you stop the car. The front would be good for better cooling but you have greater lag and is also prone to heat soak but recovers more quickly. Then there is what some people includeing myself are looking at is the air to water which has the potential to have the shortest routing as far as cooling effincy that will be determined...

Last edited:
I dunno about the difference since its a gt28, but with the stock turbo i hit boost pretty quick with the custommsp smic. As for heatsoaking, it does heatsoak if your stopped for a period of time. With the upgraded smic heatsoak isnt that big of an issue.

So around how much boost r u running. And do u ever take ur car 2 the track.

So how exactly does the air to water intercooler work I've never heard of this

If you upgrade the turbo and stick with the usual air to air intercooler , you will definitely want a front mount or else you will heatsoak like a mofo. The SMIC route is good for about 9 psi or less on stock turbo, but won't cool as efficiently past that point.

Air to water intercoolers just have water running over the fins as apposed to air to air intercoolers which are cooled by the passing air around it. The advantages to water cooling is a consistent intake charge temperature, and the ability to mount it closer to the throttle. The down side is water line routing, and potential leaks. For our cars your best bet is a FMIC. But in my personal opinion we have a lot of run to run a v-mount setup beside the engine with a bit of air ducting it can be achieved. By doing that you have just as much throttle response and little boost pressure lost as the stock SMIC.

yeah except to run a vmount you have to cut and reweld and relocate stuff. and it gets very. very pricy

i perfer FMIC i didn't notice any lag after installing it. however my pipes arent much longer than the smic piping since i ran it through rad support which is much cleaner routing IMO

how do u do it??

I clocked the 28RS so the compressor outlet fires down instead of up.

Yep pics always do wonders..

DSC01442.JPG

feb15project1.JPG

feb15project4.JPG

feb15project6.JPG

Ends up being just barely longer than the stock setup.

Back