Stagg SHS struts and Tein S-Type springs done today

:
2002 P5 Wag
finally - she doesn't bounce around like she's drunk.....and I don't look like I'm driving like I'm that way either.....ha! As soon as it was finished, Josh told me to go take it for a "good drive". He also said "try a few corners and see how it hooks". I couldn't resist - took a U-turn under the freeway and hit it as fast as I was willing to (about 45) - and it did squeal a lil, but it bit and went exactly where I wanted it to. The ride is a little harsh right now, but he seems to think (and he's been doing this long enough - I trust his word) that it'll settle down a little bit after the springs get broken in (like a few days of driving). Installation was a piece of cake - except the plastic stuff covering the top strut nuts in the rear...that was a PITA. Anyways - enough blabbin.....pics!

Before the Stagg SHS struts and Tein S-Type Springs:
IMG_6807-1.jpg

30219d92.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

After the lovin:
90dc82a3.jpg

6ca725d6.jpg
55d88859.jpg

And - while I was there I thought I'd shoot a few of the drift cars he's got in his stable, customer's cars, and whatnot:

b6e87eeb.jpg

e2cf08ae.jpg

8aa4482d.jpg

062a961a.jpg

50b78c36.jpg

54556bb4.jpg

1b1da26d.jpg

7e3c6fe7.jpg

9f29aa4a.jpg

f951f042.jpg

38cc94f2.jpg

ce3c1d3c.jpg

afe0cfd3.jpg

e2cf5b10.jpg

9a282ffd.jpg

3df80345.jpg

0bf5de68.jpg

As you can see - I was like a kid in a candy shop - and yeah....this is partially why I didn't get any build pics....I was running around snappin shots every chance I could. His drift team is ridiculously sick!

Holy HELL!!! Sick ass drift cars! I went to a small drift day once, it was awesome. I'd like to go to a pro event!

And the p5 looks great too! Diggin the scheme.

I already left my reply in other thread, but again, NICE, and cant wait to get myne.
All i have left to say is (bow) lol

and Drift FTW (burnout) !

(oh and do u mind if i also post pics of my P5 w the same setup here when im done? oh and mynes Midnight Blue also! haha)

I have my ways.....cigar boxes banded to the pedals makes up for my legs being so short....lol.

And my sons.....he drove it today as a matter of fact. Yep.....putting a 7 year old behind the wheel, and TEACHING him how to drive FTMFW!

haha FTMFW, < thats ftw lol

and that reminds me of Indiana Jones's little azn kid " Short Round' i think..when hes driving the car w wooden blocks attached to the pedal lmao

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1086.jpg

Didn't get the shot I wanted - but had to go into the hospital to actually do that thing that gets in the way of our fun......

.....work.

lol ^

but looks cool man

FINALLY Got the struts in today :) and !! bought some mazda 3 wheels so i can rock this look

(photoshopd the wheels on my ride)

[original shot of my car]

205783_216197308396076_100000174266894_1037686_3957106_n.jpg

[these wheels i picked up]

3n73k33p65T65Q35R2b46a731ee7833251230.jpg

[P-shopped w Mazda3 wheels]

Picture1-1.png

and lastly ...
[w a nasty dro :p ]

p5ms3.jpg

[and IF i paint em]

p5ms32.jpg

k sry for the major pics..but yeah lol. just a bit excited thats all :D

did you hphoto shop them yourself? i've been thinking about doing it and the guys from the utahmazdas site was tellin me to go this color! i think you just confirmed this for me :D

i recognize those NST cars from the drift events and lone star bash! and CupCakeMeet :D

Yep - that's Josh and friends! They're probably the most down-to-earth tuners I've met in years (aka...not full of themselves, not arrogant pricks, not awful a-holes!). The NST guys are cool - but I got to meet a few of the SS guys too....those guys are serious tuners.

But, to talk about this install on my car:

The ride is solid. The only problem now - everything else has suffered over the years (endlinks.....sways....) - it's popping and creaking something fierce now...lol. Those items are next on the list to get updated - since Josh pointed out to me that the rubber bushings on the endlinks are .. gone.

it's a blast to drive now though! I was bored lastnight (playing GT5 on ps3), and decided to go for a drive. heading north, and taking the exit for 610 East, a group of lowrider trucks decided to nudge me into picking up the pace. The ship channel bridge is where it happened, and on the downsloap - I noticed the needle was WAYYYYY down there (132 mph to be vague) - and I was still whippin it thru those guys. Felt purdy solid, and really good!

Did you get strut mount kits? ive heard to do so..i think theyr still stock since 02..so maybe?

and do front / rear also?
or is there even 1 on the rears?

thanks

I didn't do the mounts - I saw Josh taking the old ones apart, place the rubber gaskets/holders/cushions on the new struts, place the mount/top hat on the top cushion, place the key'd washer on the mount/top hat, press down and have a buddy put the top nut on enough to hold it together (3-4 threads worked for us). Then - zap the nut with an impact until tight - then you're ready for install.

Hope that makes sense.

kind of, ( but since ive never done suspension work myself, not so much lol) but im guessing you just kind of rebuilt the old components, in that case.

So should i bother getting fronts and rears? since i wouldnt be remaking them.. and would i need any other hardware besides the struts springs and possibly the strut mounts..? Thanks again

in my honest opinion (take it for what it's worth....I have rebuilt a few vehicles to perform..):

I'd just use the stockers man. They seem to be holding up just fine thus far (...and trust me - I've pushed it PAST the limit street-wise.). Got my P5 entirely TOO sideways on an underpass U-Turn to confess.....

and yeah - we rebuilt the old components for mine. They weren't cracked and un-useable - so - why not use them again?

damn - catchin up on the thread (yeah.....157 hours in 2 weeks for work <on my timesheet FTW!!!!> seems to take it's toll at times).

I don't mind if you post pics to this thread at all bro. After a week of riding these things <Stagg SHS struts> - they're solid as can be really. Still feels stiff like first installed, but the springs have mellowed out for sure....it's a NICE ride for a performance mod.

cool. so i wouldnt need ANY other hardware? I just dont want to start working on it (well il probabaly have a buddy do it..idk) and then figure out after the components are off, THAT I NEED SOME PARTS! You know?!

I had it happen b4, and it was extra nuts that 'needed' to go on top of strut (back on my MK3 Jetta-VR6) 'ol blue' lol.

So yeah, All i have is the Staggs and Teins...ANYTHING ELSE?

LMK!

thanks man,and ok Il post pics when its done! :]

bdw heres my hardware

i did do SOME research, and found that ppl had a tough time w endlinks. so i decided not to chance it, in case they dont wanna come off, i have new ones. and rears needed a change, and i made adjustable ones for front (link is in my sig)

20110419131004.jpg

sry bad pic..basement lol

Back