First Drive: Top Gear USA

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
500x_tg_studio.jpg

After five long years, Top Gear's American cousin debuts Sunday on the History Channel. You'll probably watch it anyway - but in the words of a very successful car guy: Is it any good?

Before we answer that question, I should beg your indulgence in noting that, yes, there are Top Gear ads all over this site and its sister and brother sites as well. That's why Ray asked me to review the show, as I have a certain distance, and besides, I think Ray might have fallen into the fan zone on this one.

Anyway. It's stretching the capabilities of understatement to say that the domestic edition of Top Gear has a great deal of work cut out for it. The original BBC production is a bona-fide sensation, a hit with people who don't even like cars. At its best, it's pitch-perfect, with the casual banter between the hosts, the high production values, and the obvious love of everything automotive combining into something really magic. It's lightning in a bottle, and there's really nothing else like it. Except now, of course, the History Channel is trying to make something just like it. And judging from the three episodes we saw, they certainly have their work cut out for them.

The premiere is going to be a little strange for most viewers. There's a bit of a touring-company feel to the whole thing, a vague sense of wedding-band cover-version, especially at first. The hosts for the U. S. show - in case you're one of the four or five enthusiasts who didn't apply and therefore don't know who got your dream job - are comedian Adam Ferrara, drift champ and stunt driver Tanner Foust, and Speed Channel guy Rutledge Wood, and initially I found myself wondering if they'd ever met previously, let alone spoken to one another. There's a Stig, too, but he's introduced in such a hapless manner that you're left wondering if the other hosts even understand his function; they sort of tell you he doesn't talk, and that's about it. "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" is now "Star In A Small Car," which is a Suzuki SX4 Sportback, rustled around their very own airport track by Buzz Aldrin in its maiden voyage after a rather wooden interview. And in the weirdest deja vu moment, the very first segment features Foust and Wood in a Viper being chased around a small Georgia town by a Cobra attack helicopter, a supposedly awesome thing we've all seen before and that seemed to be less a real TV show and more the work of incredibly well-financed and well-connected Top Gear re-enactors.

The good news is that it gets better. First, as the show goes on, the chemistry between the hosts improves by leaps and bounds. Rutledge Wood turns out to be a naturally funny guy, in a conversational sort of way, and starts to ease into his part faster than the others. Tanner Foust, the bona-fide driver of the group, actually seems comfortable with the others giving him a hard time, which will be a valuable job skill for him on this show. And Ferrara, who has the fewest car-guy credentials in the group, seems content to just hang out and almost never overplays the New York/New Jersey card.

[Jalopnik]

Today is the day in the History Channel, let's see if it makes the cut...

I'm looking forward to this series, even if it isn't going to be quite the same as Top Gear UK, that's alright. The current UK Top Gear has been in production for over eight years. People need to allow the US production some time to 'find themselves,' but regardless of the hosts' on-screen chemistry, it's looking to be the best US-produced automotive program out there today. Try to reserve your judgment until ep. 3 though.

it was alright but they need to improvise more (which is something the UK series needs to do too). it was way to scripted and you can always guess what is going to happen next. i know once they loosen up and become more friendly with one another it'll become much better. plus since they actually have a professional driver as a host they can do things that the other versions of top gear cannot.

on a side note, the stig looks like he can barley see over the steering wheel, just thought that was funny.

it was alright but they need to improvise more (which is something the UK series needs to do too). it was way to scripted and you can always guess what is going to happen next. i know once they loosen up and become more friendly with one another it'll become much better. plus since they actually have a professional driver as a host they can do things that the other versions of top gear cannot.

on a side note, the stig looks like he can barley see over the steering wheel, just thought that was funny.

I totally agree. As I was watching the helicopter scene I was thinking that, if this were the UK version, something insane would have happened, like they opened the trunk to find a rocket launcher which they proceeded to launch at the chopper. Either way, it was good and will continue to watch for when they feel more comfortable. What I do miss though is the car guy that is very intelligent with mechanics and engineering like Captain Slow. They don't really have someone like that in this version.

It got off to a good start. Setting apart the bias of the UK version, looks promising...

Now they should invite the UK dudes one of these days to compete against each other, like the UK dudes have done with German and Finn pilots/crews (was that Kimi Raikkonen?)

I set the DVR to record the series (past my bedtime), and am hoping that it doesn't turn into a top gear UK without brittish accents

The plus side would be that an american version will have cars offered in america and not UK, and that there should be less bimmers. But that doesn't mean the show needs to be nothing other than forde, gm, or chrysler. I hope they offer shows on everything except minivans

The only american based car show I watched was motorweek, and over time it became less and less about just cars and they included too much "green" related segments

It would be nice if the usa top gear could throw stats at you like a magazine or motoweek, and not so much high production segments like the helo vs viper thing

The Viper segment felt super scripted, but I expected it from reading early reviews. They said it gets better after 3-4 episodes as the hosts get used to each other and acting.

Well I finished watchiing it this morning and I thought the lambo segment was the best, especially when it came to host banter. And I don't know who this ferrara guy is, but he's the least funny. I like the big guy and the actual pro driver guy's back-and-forth. And there is nooooo way that big guy is 6'3'' and only 225 like he said in the lambo segment

top gear uk is scripted as well. theres no pre-rehearsed dialog per se, but its heavily produced, influenced by each presenter playing up to their on-air personas. the real magic is the rapport they each have with one another. their ability to make the most well organized plans go haywire (or as perfectly executed depending on which side of the producer's chair you are on) gives the audience a sense theyre sharing in the fun of a boys' night out.

after watching a few episodes since it has aired, top gear US lacks everything except for their ability to imitate the shows platform and even studio layout. i'm not a fan of tanner and i really dont like all 3 of them pretending to be frenemies. shot for shot they are identical but its sort of like the difference between corn syrup and cane sugar. they look, smell, and taste almost the same, but you'd prefer real sugar in your coffee.

top gear uk is scripted as well. theres no pre-rehearsed dialog per se, but its heavily produced, influenced by each presenter playing up to their on-air personas. the real magic is the rapport they each have with one another. their ability to make the most well organized plans go haywire (or as perfectly executed depending on which side of the producer's chair you are on) gives the audience a sense theyre sharing in the fun of a boys' night out.

after watching a few episodes since it has aired, top gear US lacks everything except for their ability to imitate the shows platform and even studio layout. i'm not a fan of tanner and i really dont like all 3 of them pretending to be frenemies. shot for shot they are identical but its sort of like the difference between corn syrup and cane sugar. they look, smell, and taste almost the same, but you'd prefer real sugar in your coffee.

Argeed!

I am from the UK and felt its was feeling little thing on the ground, hopefully it will get better with age.

top gear in the UK almost died until Jeremy took control and injected his own ideas on it.

since then it was a raving hit.

as i said, hopefully the US will pick up the same speed!

it really is a shame though. I like Adam Ferarra. His standup is ridiculously funny. For some reason he just doesn't work on top gear.

Back