Fuel Pressure regulator upgrade

kamon8404

:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
I'm looking to upgrade my fuel pressure regulator. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of which way to go. I hear aeromotive is the best route but we will see. Which make and model did you use? Pros and cons? etc.

Thanks
J

Yes, I have corky bells book maximum boost. I know that he makes quality goods. I was kinda looking for a FPR that screws directly to the fuel rail but this definitely opens my eyes.

you will not find an aftermarket fpr that screws directly to the fuel rail. our stock fpr is extremely small compared to the aftermarket units. you will have to get an adapter and run a line from the adapter to the fpr.

i am running the aeromotive A1000-6 fpr. aeromotive has a great reputation and this unit is a high quality piece. i bought a fuel rail adapter from mbxmotorsports. other companies make these adapters, so you just have to search around.

here are a few pictures from my setup...

P1020117.jpg

P1020116.jpg

P1020110.jpg

i bought the fpr from summit: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI-13109&N=700+115&autoview=sku

hope this helps.

where did you get the fuel rail adapter and it comes with a gasket correct?... that is what i need... please if you can remember where you got it point me in that direction

I use the same set up. But on my car the fpr is on the drivers side.

So with the aftermarket FPRs did you guys just bypass the stock pressure release valve? IIRC, the stock FPR is a 1:1 rising rate, there's just a pressure release valve upstream of it that bleeds off excessive pressure.

So how do these things work? The one mspHtown posted says 30-70 psi. So does that mean at most it can supply only 70 psi of fuel pressure or is that 70 psi above stock? I'm just curious because the stock fuel pressure is supposed to be 39-45 psi primed (not running). My primed fuel pressure is 39 psi and while running it's about 36 psi at idle. So a 1:1 FPR would increase the fuel pressure by one psi per psi of boost? 46 psi seems kind of low for 10 psi of boost...

where did you get the fuel rail adapter and it comes with a gasket correct?... that is what i need... please if you can remember where you got it point me in that direction

the fuel rail adapter utilizes an o-ring, not a gasket. A nipple (with the oring) sticks down into the fuel rail.

I bought mine from mbxmotorsports (Mike Baxter owns the company). I can't seem to get his website to load. He is on the probe forums.

There is a somewhat recent thread where another member found an adapter that seems like it would work just fine.

So with the aftermarket FPRs did you guys just bypass the stock pressure release valve? IIRC, the stock FPR is a 1:1 rising rate, there's just a pressure release valve upstream of it that bleeds off excessive pressure.

yes

So how do these things work? The one mspHtown posted says 30-70 psi. So does that mean at most it can supply only 70 psi of fuel pressure or is that 70 psi above stock? I'm just curious because the stock fuel pressure is supposed to be 39-45 psi primed (not running). My primed fuel pressure is 39 psi and while running it's about 36 psi at idle. So a 1:1 FPR would increase the fuel pressure by one psi per psi of boost? 46 psi seems kind of low for 10 psi of boost...

it means it can supply 30-70 psi. When idling, my fuel pressure was at 40 psi with the stock fpr. So i adjusted the aftermarket fpr to 40 psi at idle. And yes, as you increase per pound of boost, the fuel pressure increases 1 psi. If the stock fpr is indeed 1:1, then it works in the same manner. The only difference is that with the aftermarket unit you can raise the lower threshhold where as the stock unit is non-adjustable.

For a stock to full-bolt on msp, i wouldnt recommend an aftermarket fpr. But for high horse power applications with a standalone unit, full control and adjustability of the fueling system seems like the smartest way to go.

^^^ Thanks, that makes sense. I know I don't need one; I just like the bling factor :D The other thing is that the current routing of the hose from the stock FPR hits one of the vacuum ports on my intake manifold.

damn I can't find that adapter anywhere. Your right mbxmotorsports.net doest work either

An aftermarket regulator is really not required. At 30psi of boost my stock FPR gets up to about 80-90psi with a Perrin rail and STi 575's. I have had no problems running out of fuel with the Walbro 255.

Double post, but like I said in the other thread check the part numbers...

On another site that actually has a pic looks correct but says it also fits all protege's pretty much..the number is 158-0596.

Back