Review: Amsoil Ea filter w/ pics

copperkid

:
2008 Mazdaspeed3 Sunlight Silver
Hey guys I’m back with another one of my reviews. This time it’s an Amsoil Ea universal replacement filter. I decided to get one for my Cobb Sri after seeing the one installed on my friends MS3.

The Amsoil air filters uses a dry nanofiber synthetic media. Amsoil Ea filters are guaranteed for 100,000 miles or four years. They remain effective for 25,000 miles or one year before requiring cleaning.

According to the Amsoil website the filter should be cleaned every year or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. Clean the housing with a shop towel, being careful not to knock contaminants into the air inlet. Filters can be cleaned by carefully vacuuming the filter media on the dirty side, or by holding the filter with one hand and carefully blowing the filter media at a 45 degree angle on the clean side using low-pressure shop air (15-20 lbs. psi).

I looked everywhere and it seems like you can only find them online off their website. I ordered mine directly from Amsoil online and it arrived fast. Cost was $61 shipped.

For further manufacture information check out the link below.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx?zo=1126678

Filter measurements:

- 4.5" ID opening
- 6" length
- 5" OD top
- 5.785" OD base

This filter is part# EaAU4560 and is a direct replacement for the stock Cobb Sri filter.

The quality of this filter is very high and the best I've seen. Much nicer than AEM's dryflow. As a side note the black AEM dryflow filter is spray painted black. This can't be good for airflow.

amsoil_filter001.jpg

amsoil_filter002.jpg

The Amsoil filter has a chrome top with a laser etched engraving.

amsoil_filter004.jpg

amsoil_filter003.jpg

The Amsoil Ea filter incorporates an air funnel that reduces air turbulence and improves airflow entering the intake.

amsoil_filter005.jpg

amsoil_filter006.jpg

amsoil_filter007.jpg

The filters flange has these built in bevels that allow it to better grip whatever its being installed on. Unlike the stock Cobb Sri filter, the Amsoil fits nice and snug over the MAF.

amsoil_filter019.jpg

amsoil_filter017.jpg

Close up you can see the synthetic nanofibers.

amsoil_filter011.jpg

filter005-1.jpg

filter004.jpg

dashhawk003.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up. I have almost 10,000 miles on my Cobb filter and I'm going the dry route soon. This info with the part # will be a big help to me. I will probably be like wisniaPl and wait till spring, should have 12,000 miles on cobb filter by then.

Sounds like Amsoil and AEM have the best dryflow filters out there! I'm still a little unclear on the cleaning process for Amsoil. All you have to do is vacuum the dust/dirt off the filter, or just spray it off with air pressure? Call me a skeptic, but that almost seems like it'd be forcing it further in if you spray directly on top of it (hence why they recommend spraying air at a 45 degree angle). But how could you be so sure you didn't puncture the filter element's "nanofibers" lol.

Haha, how come I always come along right after you post, Silver? You blow air from the *clean* side, meaning you point the air nozzle down inside the filter (at 45*) and blow the dirt outwards. So the air is moving in the same direction as vacuuming the filter from the outside. The filter material won't be punctured by low pressure air, that's why they stipulate only 15-20 psi.

I thought the Nano already came with a dryflow filter?

Thanks for the write-up man, this is helpful info!

edit - btw, this wouldn't affect Cobb's tuning, would it? I can't imagine it would let more air in, but the AP seems sensitive to everything, so who knows?

Last edited:
How do you like the cobb intake alex? Is it better than the nano. I had an order with PG and I guess they charged my card last night and told me its on its way to my house, now I can choose to send it back or keep it. I'm not sure what to do, I love the nano so far but realy want to hear the cobb with the forge. If I decide to sell it, I hope I can get some money back and not lose alot sense I've only had it on the car for 2 or so weeks!

How do you like the cobb intake alex? Is it better than the nano. I had an order with PG and I guess they charged my card last night and told me its on its way to my house, now I can choose to send it back or keep it. I'm not sure what to do, I love the nano so far but realy want to hear the cobb with the forge. If I decide to sell it, I hope I can get some money back and not lose alot sense I've only had it on the car for 2 or so weeks!

I like it. It sounds different than the Nano.

I have one of these on my BEGi AirBox. In fact, the reason I bought the BEGi initially over the Cobb was because of the dry filter option....

Fast-forward to now, and I'm waiting on my new Cobb SRI (I've got concerns about LTFTs with the BEGi box) and will definitely look into getting an Amsoil dry flow for it (probably not until it comes time to clean it for the first time). Nice write-up! :)

I've done this on my Cobb SRI as well, same filter. I also did a little write up on MSF.org about how you can visibly see the differences in filtration. Took a couple of pictures showing that you can actually see pinholes of light through the gauze filter, whereas it was solid with the Amsoil.

One thing to note, the clamp on the Amsoil fits just a touch further away (maybe 1/16") from the MAF housing than the Cobb filter does. What ends up happening is that the clamp sits right the edge of the MAF housing, even hanging over it just a touch, and if you really torque down the clamp, it will actually cause the filter to pull away from the MAF housing and fall off. Best thing to do is to just snug up the clamp well enough to seal and to keep it on the MAF housing, don't torque it down really tight.

I've heard the Cobb before and its a heavy, loud whooshing in my opinion. How did the cpe sound?

It sounds more quiet and not anywhere near the suction sound the cobb makes, Probably cuz of the filter element difference. I sounds more high pitch compared to the cobb which has more of a low frequency.

Well reason I ask, is because I considered getting the CP-E and getting the Amsoil filter, but the way the CP-E is setup, it doesn't look like an Amsoil will fit. Looks like it'd sit too close to the headlamp.

But when someone said sound, I figured i'd ask!

Back