MAM manifold install

mspHtown

:
MSP 2003.5
Well, a couple of weeks ago i had the opportunity to pick up a MAM tubular manifold. I had the thunder manifold (no complaints at all), but i had always wanted the MAM one. Anyways, i spent the past few days on an awful journey to get this thing installed.

I honestly think this was the last manifold made by Beau. It was his going away gift to the protege community. Runner number 4 was incredibly close to the flange. Fortunately, this created problems for 3 of the mounting holes on the flange. I had to trim a stud and a nut down just to fill one of the holes in the flange. I had to grind down and cut a wrench in half just to gain access to these "hidden" bolts/nuts.

Having tons of experience with the protege aftermarket, i usually expect products less than perfect. However, it was down right poor the lack of attention and care Beau put into this manifold. This was one of those mods that made me want to just sell the damn car... or even drive it off a cliff.

Anyways, failure was not an option, so now i have a brand new ceramic coated MAM manifold hanging off my engine!

Here are some pictures of my manifold:

Notice the bottom bolt. And yes, it is almost touching the runner. And yes it was the source of great anger.

m1.jpg

The manifold looks great, but notice how close the runners get to the flange.

m2.jpg

I almost had to shave off part of the head. The fourth runner was within millimeters of not fitting.

m3.jpg

Finally installed and it looks amazing IMHO.

m4.jpg

Just for comparison, you can see how much these manifolds vary. I know each will be different, but notice how much the fourth runner changes. There is actually room to gain access to all of the bolts. And the runner is not about to hit the head.

This is Jurgs01's manifold:

differentmani.jpg

This is 505zoom's manifold:

richs.jpg

I am sure the performance aspect will outweigh the awful install experience... it better!!!

Just thought i would share with the community...

Damn man, that kind of s*** pisses the **** out of me. Glad you got it going though. It is a solid piece nonetheless

Snap! You got it on! Congrats (thumb) ...come out with us tomorrow night. Discreet and I have some unfinished business

...i see that u needed to shave down a wrench like Pirana, crazy. If you read his install he needed trimming of studs and cutting of wrenches as well. Not the easiest of installs lol. Its beautiful man....its nice to see it finally mounted :)

Last edited:
Wow, I knew these varied from piece to piece but I didn't know by THAT much! I remember reading Pirana's install guide a while back (before the MAM forum got shut down) and I recall that the install process was very involved. Looking at mine (purchased from Pirana) it looks closest to 505 and I definitely have more clearane between the runners and the mounting points than you did. I'd be able to comment more on fitment if mine were installed but the header flange got warped during coating so that has to get fixed first.

How in the hell did you warp the Flange...the coating process is a lot lower than temps that thing will see.

I would say it was warped before.

Just get it milled to flatten it out.

And yes..I am looking for pics of mine to add to the collection of MAM photos here...Hence my "Will Comment later " post.

How in the hell did you warp the Flange...the coating process is a lot lower than temps that thing will see.

I would say it was warped before.

Just get it milled to flatten it out.

And yes..I am looking for pics of mine to add to the collection of MAM photos here...Hence my "Will Comment later " post.
Well according to Pirana the manifold was perfect when it went out to the coater (he had it JetHot coated before sending it to me). When I got it I inspected it and noticed that the header flange was bowed a little (maybe 1/32" at each end when the center is flat). The issue is that more than likely the coater did not bolt the manifold down when coating it whereas when the manifold is on the car it is firmly bolted down despite more intense heat. This is, at least my theory. Either way, getting it milled won't be too much of an issue; I'll probably get some stress-relief cuts put in at the same time. I just hope the coating holds up during the process.

I have pics of mine but obviously not installed so I don't think they'd help at all in this thread.

Wow...It should not warp..The process for coating is not that extreme for a flange of that thickness.
Wow.

Not sure if any of these help...But I will throw them up anyway.

Head%20and%20Mani%20Pics%20001.1.JPG

http://www.msprotege.com/members/ForceFed/Project%20P5/Head%20and%20Mani%20Pics%20003.1.JPG[/ig]
[img]http://www.msprotege.com/members/ForceFed/MAM%20vs.%20Thunder/MAM%20Mani%20and%20GT2860RS%20001.jpg
MAM%20Mani%20and%20GT2860RS%20002.jpg

And I just took these....Looks like I have plenty of room in all directions.
A couple might be tight...but I dont think I will have to do any grinding what so ever.

MAM%20Mani%20001.jpg

MAM%20Mani%20002.jpg

MAM%20Mani%20003.jpg

MAM%20Mani%20004.jpg

Snap! You got it on! Congrats (thumb) ...come out with us tomorrow night. Discreet and I have some unfinished business

...i see that u needed to shave down a wrench like Pirana, crazy. If you read his install he needed trimming of studs and cutting of wrenches as well. Not the easiest of installs lol. Its beautiful man....its nice to see it finally mounted :)

Yea it took some work to get it on. Not happy about Beau's lack of care, but cant do anything about it. It definitely looks awesome!

It actually sounds like the exhaust is quieter now. The engine also feels extremely smooth.

Sorry i cant come out tonight, but yall should def post up some videos.

I guess their quality wasn't always up to standard eh!

If i wouldve bought that directly from MAM and they were still in business, it would have been sent back.

Wow, I knew these varied from piece to piece but I didn't know by THAT much! I remember reading Pirana's install guide a while back (before the MAM forum got shut down) and I recall that the install process was very involved. Looking at mine (purchased from Pirana) it looks closest to 505 and I definitely have more clearane between the runners and the mounting points than you did. I'd be able to comment more on fitment if mine were installed but the header flange got warped during coating so that has to get fixed first.

Sorry to hear about the flange getting warped. One thing i was disappointed about from Jet-Hot, they did not cover the studs or the egr threads. There is no point in coating them and all it did was make everything harder to get on.

ForceFed-

Looks like you lucked out. All of the holes look extremely easy to get to. I hate you... Just playing, but ****, you are lucky.

Well, I figured I might as well post up mine. Because I've yet to take any pictures of this thing myself I'm just going to use the ones Pirana sent me when it was returned from coating. Mine looks like it's going to be tighter than Forcefed's but nowhere near as bad as mspHtown's. Here are Pirana's exact words to me about the install:

Please know that runner 1 has a tap for an egt probe. I also dont know if you do your installs yourself, but this is a pain in the bootie to install. Specifically, the studs between runners 3 & 4 they need to be cut off shorter for the nut to fit. I would recommend you to give it to someone to install if you are limited with tools.

And now onto my pics:

100_7212.jpg

100_7215.jpg

EDIT: Yeah the threads on my EGR bung seem to be coated as well. Argh, that's going to make things more frustrating but nothing a giant crescent wrench can't fix :D

Last edited:
EDIT: Yeah the threads on my EGR bung seem to be coated as well. Argh, that's going to make things more frustrating but nothing a giant crescent wrench can't fix :D

i was not able to get a huge crescent wrench on mine. not enough room... had to use small pliers.

Back