What have you done to your Miata today?

^^^Same but over lunch I bought batteries for the key fob. Now it will lock/unlock the doors and pop the trunk. :) Received my Tuckin99 rearview mirror today too...but it was broken. Waiting for a response to see what is needed to send back for a refund.

Woohoo! I wired up the race car! :D

20150820_125857.jpg

...that's how that works, right? The 1s and 0s know where to go intuitively. I think.

You don't have those boys of yours trained up for that sort of thing yet? Slacker!

Today was a good day. I received the spacers for the big brake kit, along with the Frank B coolant reservoir I sent off for powdercoating. That is installed, here is what it looks like:

20555756518_112bdb4a3a_c.jpg

This is bigger than the one I had previously, as well as having a sight glass so I can see the level in the tank.

I have my new laptop set up finally, will be trying to connect it to the MS tomorrow once I get some work done on one of my son's cars.

I've done a ton of wiring over the last few days, and it was finally time to get 'er running. So of course, THAT didn't happen.
1. massive fuel leak at the FPR. Swapped in a better clamp to replace the (new!!!) one that was on there.
2. Spark, but no fuel. Realized I had the fuel feed and return lines backwards. Swapped the hoses.
3. Primed the pump again, and found a fuel leak at the #4 injector. So, off came the top-half of the intake manifold (whoo!) and I found a boogered up injector O-ring. Threw it all back together.
4. Primed the pump again, and had a leak at the fuel feed hard line. Swapped out the (again, new!!! those things sucked) spring clamp and used another worm clamp. I hate worm clamps, but they do the work.
5. Started cranking it, and got a few ignition 'events,' but no actual running. Actually had a few backfires. Couldn't figure out why it wasn't even catching, much less running. Turned out that the coils were wired backwards, so it was firing 90 degrees (stock, batch fire coils) off from where they should be firing. I re-pinned the coil pigtail, and it basically fired right up, but wouldn't run for crap.
6. Tuning tuning tuning. I've got it to where it'll at least idle, then had to stop for a while. But hey, guess what?

Progress is progress. You'll get there.

Not exactly what I did to the car, but my wife gave me a present:

20820996102_584ca17f7c_c.jpg

She runs! Holy crap she f**king runs!!!

Man did it take some work to get to this point. Over the course of the evening we found:
a) the timing was off by a tooth.
b) another fuel leak, this time at injector #3.
c) an empty fuel tank, because of the leak.
d) the coils were wired backwards

But once we finally set the last thing right, she fired right up.
I may actually get to run it this weekend, and I don't know what's real anymore!

Progress is progress. You'll get there.

Not exactly what I did to the car, but my wife gave me a present:

20820996102_584ca17f7c_c.jpg
Cool!!
She runs! Holy crap she f**king runs!!!

Man did it take some work to get to this point. Over the course of the evening we found:
a) the timing was off by a tooth.
b) another fuel leak, this time at injector #3.
c) an empty fuel tank, because of the leak.
d) the coils were wired backwards

But once we finally set the last thing right, she fired right up.
I may actually get to run it this weekend, and I don't know what's real anymore!

Haha!! Glad to hear you might get her back out and acing again!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nothing amazing but installed Yellow Lamin-X foglight covers last night, ill try to get a better pic later today but until then, here they are...

20710457470_e2bd7a0998_c.jpg

20710550488_a8bd307f46_c.jpg

Haha!! Glad to hear you might get her back out and acing again!!!!

Man, you and me both. But things are looking good for this weekend so far.

Realized that after gutting the ignitor (which you have to do for the VVT swap), I lost my gauge tach signal, so I'll need to extend and splice a wire in for that.

Gave 'er a wash and loaded it up onto the trailer. Bonus of moving to the 15s: it's tall and narrow enough (because the 15s tuck under the body more than the 13x10s could) to fit onto the trailer with the race tires, so there should be much less tire-swapping at events now.

20150829_125814.jpg

20150829_121041.jpg

Storm's brewin'
20150829_133724.jpg

We expect a full report.

Finally got around to connecting my new laptop to the MS and I got the same error message. Going with most likely candidate for failure, I'm guessing my connection cord has an issue. I'll have to see about getting another and and trying that out.

I have also been mulling over what could be causing my less than stellar handling. Took a look at my rake and found it is well above 0.25" as recommended by 949 Racing. Not sure why it is so, but I am taking some good measurements so I can see if I need to raise the front or lower the rear, do that and then get an alignment.

Today was a pretty ideal shakedown for the car as a whole. We got a few dry runs, a few rain runs, the car drove onto the trailer under its own power at the end, got towed home in a downpour, and it drove off the trailer into the workshop under its own power. The 1s and 0s all stayed where they were supposed to, even with the SOAKING it got on the way home.

Under any other circumstances, I'd have been pretty PO'd at my driving (DNF'd at least 3 of 4 runs), but given that I'm not fighting for points, or really much of anything other than running for fun, the fact that the car performed admirably is immensely satisfying. It's SO much faster than it was, and the grunt from the VVTAK 1.8 is impressive. It's got a lot more dig down low, even with the taller rear gear (4.3 > 4.1) and taller rear tires. Switching to the 1" shorter Avons over the 23" Hoosiers will give a bit more grunt again, at the expense of a few top end MPH, but I think that'll be a good trade off when the time comes. In the meantime, I'm going to spend the rest of the season burning up these HoHos.

11886117_10205710589058774_8104662173399473943_o.jpg

Last edited:
Whee!
My best time was my 1st run (yay rain!), and the rest were DNFs. But the car runs. Well. And that is a very good thing. So... don't watch this. It's worthless to basically everyone but me (rlaugh)

Left her home so I could drive the P5 to work to replace the broken rod clip for the exterior door handle. The same clip the collision center at Young Mazda told me was discontinued the last time they fixed it (which ended up being two zip ties to hold the rod to the handle?!). Oddly enough the parts counter at Young Mazda was able to order it for me and I had it in two days?! (pissed)

Back