OEM MAZDA Alarm Installation questions

YellowMP5

Contributor
:
2002 Mazda Protege5 YELLOW
I thinking of getting the oem mazda alarm: http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=1275

reasons are, cheap and it appears its a plug and play system. Can somebody confirm for sure that it is plug and play or does it require cutting and splicing of wires. I dont' want to mess with wiring, something always gets messed up and I don't trust alarmshops with installation either.

If it is plug and play, I can do it myself. Has anyone done this allready? How hard or easy is it? (shrug)

It's pretty easy. when they say plug and play they really do mean it: everything plugs into existsing harnesses. The worst part is crawling around under the dash, as you will assume positions that chiropractors have wet dreams about.

Pretzellogic said:
It's pretty easy. when they say plug and play they really do mean it: everything plugs into existsing harnesses. The worst part is crawling around under the dash, as you will assume positions that chiropractors have wet dreams about.

LOL, yeah, i am not physically fit, always get a cramp from those weird positions. but I don't know if its plug and play, that's why i am wondering. i am assuming it is since I am sure mazda doesn't make the assebly workers cut and splice wires on the spot (rofl)

a local mazda dealer me quoted < $70 for that part in stock, and i was ready to buy it but the dealer wanted $255 (3 hrs of labor) for installation. i can get a $330 aftermarket alarm + install labor for $160 total at my 2nd job. no other local shops will install a factory OEM alarm. if anybody knows where to get manual to install the factory alarm i'd do it myself and they'll get 10 rep points. http://protege5.ugly.net has work 2002 protege work shop manual in PDF but i couldnt find alarm install section. thanks.
-meGrimlock

Which local dealer would that be?
You can PM me if you like.

meGrimlock said:
a local mazda dealer me quoted < $70 for that part in stock, and i was ready to buy it but the dealer wanted $255 (3 hrs of labor) for installation. i can get a $330 aftermarket alarm + install labor for $160 total at my 2nd job. no other local shops will install a factory OEM alarm. if anybody knows where to get manual to install the factory alarm i'd do it myself and they'll get 10 rep points. http://protege5.ugly.net has work 2002 protege work shop manual in PDF but i couldnt find alarm install section. thanks.
-meGrimlock

rosenthal mazda in vienna (tyson's corner) virginia. www.tysonsmazda.com, formerly www.finishlineperformance.com -- that website moved from the tyson's mazda to the rosenthal mazda in arlington, VA. if you email finishlineperformance.com for a price quote you'll get a response from arlington mazda.

a week and a half ago i was shopping for the mp3 wind splitter and perimeter alarm, i wrote down the part numbers and prices from mazdastuff.com. the parts guy looked it up in his computer and said that he had the alarm in stock for $60 something and that he'd have to order the wind splitter for $90. then he looked at the prices i wrote down from mazdastuff.com and said he could match them. i hope he didnt mean he would jack the price up from $60 something to $106 for the alarm and drop the price of the wind splitter to $68 cuz that would suck - not a good "price match" if you jack up the price of the other item. then i asked how much it would cost to install and he told me to ask someone in service dept and that if i made an appointment it'll be easier to charge me for all the parts and labor at once. thats when i found out installation was $255. yikes. i dunno how long they'll honor the price, dealerships have a habit of jacking prices in general.

not doubting you, but $60 sounds EXTREMELY cheap. i wonder what's up. but i'll give them a call and find out.

i just searched their online parts catalog and the price for the alarm came out to $141.70. i'll give them a call tommorow just in case.
air deflector came out to 42.85. so i don't know what the parts guy was smoking when he told you the prices

Pretzellogic said:

Curious what the install time be / subscribble

seems like noone had first hand experience in installing this alarm. it does seem like plug and play so i will be buying one soon. and maybe the bike rack :)

yea it was $60 something...$68 or $69 i was pretty surprized too! he did tell me the prices one at a time when he looked it up so he couldnt have gotten them mixed up unless i flipped the part numbers when i wrote it down. by the way, the wind splitter and air deflector are different parts. wind splitter is visible from above the car, the air deflector goes under and behind the wind splitter. very confusing at first.

if anybody has instructions on how to install i'd love to do it myself otherwise $160 for after market alarm and install cant be beat.
-meGrimlock

meGrimlock said:
yea it was $60 something...$68 or $69 i was pretty surprized too! he did tell me the prices one at a time when he looked it up so he couldnt have gotten them mixed up unless i flipped the part numbers when i wrote it down. by the way, the wind splitter and air deflector are different parts. wind splitter is visible from above the car, the air deflector goes under and behind the wind splitter. very confusing at first.

if anybody has instructions on how to install i'd love to do it myself otherwise $160 for after market alarm and install cant be beat.
-meGrimlock

ah yeah, you might be right. i tottally forgot about the plastic air deflector.
the alarm comes with the instructions. the reason i like the oem one better is that i don't have to cut/splice/solder/tape anything and thus nothing will get ****** up.

i went in to buy the alarm at the dealer. first he quoted me $60 for the part number. he went to get it, he brought the $60 part up, and then a larger box. he said the part numbers had changed around a bit (which is true for any manufacturer from time to time) and that the alarm module itself was $60. the actual full alarm kit was $140 something. this kit included the wiring harness, hardware, and shock sensor. so $60 is right, but for the wrong part. if you contact them, see if they'll price match mazdastuff.com

2nd problem: i went to hook it up. the longest part of the install was figuring out how to take the damn interior panels off (the clips dont want to let go). the 2nd hardest part is bending your body to get in and under the dash and other parts of the car. my problem is when you complete the last step - reconnect neg. terminal on battery, remove the fuse, plug in alarm module, turn on car, re-plug in fuse, the horn emits a continuous honk. its one long and sustained honk, no short beeps or patterns. and i try to disarm it every way including the emergency shut-off button but it keeps on going. i finally just took out the fuse and it stopped. ive double checked the harness - everything plugs into an existing connector, nothing was missed. ive tried to redo taking off the neg. terminal and reconnecting from step 1, and the horn just goes on again. with the fuse out: the key fob still locks and unlocks, and the parking lights still flickers, and the horn still beeps when you press lock 2x. but when i plug in the fuse, the sustained horn goes on again. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
-meGrimlock

hmm, i don't know about the alarm problem. never installed one before. if you fix it, let us know.

a friend of mine will be ordering one from mazdaspeed for $85, this is whole kit. can you give us the part number of the full alarm kit? also, can you scan the directions and post them on here so we can study before installing it? thanks.

i'll get on scanning it, but i work all day sunday. i'd prefer emailing it to you because it does show where to install the valet/emergency shut off button. if someone tried to break into your car, they'll know where to disarm it fast. the instructions included is pretty straight forward & in plain english - like they say "plug-n-play." you do have to drill into some plastic for the LED light. i recommend having an exacto knife or some other sharp blade handy to trim any plastic pieces that fray outward after drilling. good luck.
-meGrimlock

Any fix on the horn issue? I'm getting the kit today. I should have signed this car up for my mazdaspeed membership as well but I'd have to go to 2 races and this won't be the auto-x car.

I paid $104 at trussville mazda.

I'll try to install and see if i get the same issue with the horn. Maybe there is a mislabled wire that is giving continuous power to the horn?

im gonna ask if they have another to exchange it with and try again weather permitting. by looking at the design of the harness, there are a lot of places where one bad wire could cause the whole thing to mess up. good luck w/ the install and let us know how it goes.
-meGrimlock

Back