Grinding into 3rd?

I had the exact same problem. Dogbone motor mount and shifter bushing completely solved the issue. I will be installing Redline shortly but my 2nd-3rd grind is gone with a new mount and bushings.

Thanks

Well, all speculation aside I've made the appointment with my dealer. It'll happen on the 19th. I basically put a laundry list together along with the first service for the car. We'll see how it goes. Trans is right at the top of the list so we'll see how it goes. I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Good Luck! hope all turns out alright.

I was getting this for a while on hard 2-3 shifts, but managed to work it in to my head to to an up-right-up motion as opposed to the traditional left-right-diagonal.

Now I'm getting grinding on hard quick 1-2 shifts...not yet sure if it's user error or not. :)

'08 model with Build date of 12/07, 2600 miles.

Last edited:
I was getting this for a while on hard 2-3 shifts, but managed to work it in to my head to to an up-left-up motion as opposed to the traditional left-up-diagonal.

Now I'm getting grinding on hard quick 1-2 shifts...not yet sure if it's user error or not. :)

'08 model with Build date of 12/07, 2600 miles.

Uhhhh, wouldn't up-left-up put you in first? Guess that would explain the grinding. (lol2)

I switched my trannie fluid to Redline MTL from the MT90. It has all but eliminated shifting problems. No other mods.

The MTL is just slightly under Mazda's specs (70/80 vs 75/90) but I have yet to have any anything other than better shifting as a result of using it. Been in the car for 7k miles. Works well in both hot and cold weather - had a 92 degree day here in Houston last week and the MTL was fine. My .02

Cheers

I take back what I said earlier. For some reason, flat foot shifting 3rd has become almost impossible. Its grinds, I wait, make sure the clutch is in all the way, and try again. No go. RPMs have to drop a good amount before it will engage 3rd.

I take back what I said earlier. For some reason, flat foot shifting 3rd has become almost impossible. Its grinds, I wait, make sure the clutch is in all the way, and try again. No go. RPMs have to drop a good amount before it will engage 3rd.

This is true and a big reason a lot of us aren't running faster 1/4's. If I could actually flat shift thru 3rd I just know I would be running at least 13.7

The CS inserts eliminated my 2-3 grind. I still have trouble getting into 5th though sometimes. Not a grind, just not a smooth transition from the 3/4 to the 5/6

The 4 to 5 gearchange just sucks through and through. Its not a very easy gear hit quickly like 3rd. You really have to guide it.

Yeah it just seems that 3rd gear really has to be babied when you're trying to do a fast run. I mean it's not like a miss all the time but when I do miss it it's always at the track. My runs are normally (13.9 - 14.4) and that's with a really slow shift into 3rd.

Last edited:
My shifts were terrible when I first got the car . 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd third was always the worst . Until the transmission gave out it was 2nd gear that faulted not third . But after that I got the 88 duro motor mount from Ken at PG and then told my dealer I was still having bad shifts they put an additive in that helped a lot something Like syncroshift Im not sure what he called it .

But let your dealer know maybe there is something they can add to the tranny to help and maybe they will report back to Mazda there is a problem and they will do something when peoples transmissions start going out instead of blaming it on the owners .

My shifts were terrible when I first got the car . 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd third was always the worst . Until the transmission gave out it was 2nd gear that faulted not third . But after that I got the 88 duro motor mount from Ken at PG and then told my dealer I was still having bad shifts they put an additive in that helped a lot something Like syncroshift Im not sure what he called it .

But let your dealer know maybe there is something they can add to the tranny to help and maybe they will report back to Mazda there is a problem and they will do something when peoples transmissions start going out instead of blaming it on the owners .

That's a good idea.

I think it would be worthwhile if we (forum members and owners of MS3 alike) could get some sort of petition done in regards to this 3rd gear issue so many of us arel having. Because you're right later on down the road when transmissions start taking a dumb we might be s*** out of luck because they would most likely blame it on user abuse or some s***.

I know there are things that help; but in my opinion we shouldn’t have to go out and by after-market rear engine mounts, synthetic fluid, shifter bushings, etc just to make the ******* car drivable it you know what I mean. Mazda should have known better than to put weak ass motor mounts in a 263hp/ 280ft/lb car with a FWD layout.

Last edited:
You know i played with it a bit more, and second grinds if you are pulling back and to the left. If you pull straight back then there is none. Seem like the play from left to right is too high in gear. I dunno ill mess with it some more after work.

I have the same problem with the second to third grind. I'm only at 2900miles on an 07. I'm getting the corksport insert mounts and I'll update whether or not it helps when I throw the inserts in

i put out some info about things a little bit after i got my car. Since february, i've not had any issues whatsoever with any gear exchanges. none; i just recently replaced the trans fluid with mt-90, but not for any particular reason other than putting the best stuff in there.

three things are the problem- first is timing; you can read more in depth about it in the thread below; you can shift fast as lightning with this car, but you have to realize a few things about the uniqueness of geometry of third and it's relationship to the clutch position before you do it successfully, w/o being rejected or getting grinds. the second issue is the rear engine mount, which i solved months ago with the corksport inserts. the last issue is not really 100% an issue, but it helps with the rubbery vagueness- the base bushings. if you replace them, you will see what i mean.

but i have to emphasize, the most important thing here is the shift timing. once you get used to the nuances of the car, and think about what you are doing, you will see you it'll become second nature. i've driven a million cars, all kinds, from exotics to...whatever- everything. some are different than others and this is one of them. get used to it and you'll rejoice!

http://mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123696551

i dont have any grinding just sometimes my shifter stucks like on rubber and i cant put 1st i have to clutch it again i didnt have it for long time...and when im puting 3rd i hear click but puting into it is smooth so no grinding...motor mount is coming shifting should be smother and yes bushings helped when I was shifting during racing into 3rd I always missed

but i have to emphasize, the most important thing here is the shift timing. once you get used to the nuances of the car, and think about what you are doing, you will see you it'll become second nature. i've driven a million cars, all kinds, from exotics to...whatever- everything. some are different than others and this is one of them. get used to it and you'll rejoice!

http://mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123696551

+1

Can't really say it better. My biggest issue with this car when I first got it was hitting the 3rd gear gate on hard acceleration. It's now second nature.

I've mentioned it many times before, but another thing people overlook is seat adjustment. It matters a whole lot more than one might think. If I sit too far back my timing gets thrown off and shifting becomes jerky. The knee should still be bent even with the clutch to the floor.

Back