New Metra Dash Kit (99-7509)

I know how you feel... it's gonna annoy the hell outa me that I don't have a tracking number to get a status update every hour, lol... well, good luck!

Hellz Yes!

So, found a nice little package sitting on my doorstep this afternoon... the Metra 99-7509 kit has arrived! :D Shipped out on Monday evening from TX (Installer.com) and I got it already. Much to my surprise, the kit is not black, it's actually painted exactly to OEM spec... metallic speckles and all. On the flip side, I guess that means it definitely won't match the 08 OEM 'piano black' trim piece... the kit does say for 06-08 Mazda5's.

Anyway, here are some pics for now... I'll have it installed by the weekend.

Attachments

• kitPackage.jpg
    kitPackage.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 281
  • kitLayout.jpg
    kitLayout.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 301
  • paintCloseup.jpg
    paintCloseup.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 247
Sweet.

This is to allow an aftermarket stereo right? Sorry, im a bit retarded. Also, Is it the same for the manual AC instead of the fancy shmancy kind?

Yep, it’s for an aftermarket stereo. ;) It’ll accept either a single DIN size (most common) or a double DIN size (for Nav systems). And yes, I do believe it’ll fit both Manual and Auto climate controls. You would think Mazda would design it this way so they can use the same stereo faceplate from their end, but just to put you at ease, on the front of the instruction manual for the kit, a Manual climate control system is pictured on the 5.

If you need it, the wiring information is here http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123701738 and the Scosche MA03B wiring harness should work (I’ll know for sure when I install it!)

Nice score. I may have to get one just to have on hand for when the kids think the CD-slot is a place to insert coins... don't laugh... it happend on the old Chrysler minivan. :(

Nice score. I may have to get one just to have on hand for when the kids think the CD-slot is a place to insert coins... don't laugh... it happend on the old Chrysler minivan. :(

Hey, seeing the upside, they are into saving money, the location is an issue, but wait until they get into spending it instead :D

Ok this has peaked my interest but I must get 4 new tires + alignment before I think about a stereo.

You may be hard pressed to get piano black from anywhere except Mazda due to the fine vertical lines in the finish. Unless you’re a perfectionist, just paint it a gloss black to get close enough. Otherwise, enjoy the OEM head unit. :)

You may be hard pressed to get piano black from anywhere except Mazda due to the fine vertical lines in the finish. Unless youre a perfectionist, just paint it a gloss black to get close enough. Otherwise, enjoy the OEM head unit. :)

+1 At this price, buy two. Paint one black and keep the other as a "just in case..."

You may be hard pressed to get piano black from anywhere except Mazda due to the fine vertical lines in the finish. Unless youre a perfectionist, just paint it a gloss black to get close enough. Otherwise, enjoy the OEM head unit. :)

Oh trust me, I know it's not gonna happen.

I painted the silver surround black on one of my stereos before. It came out alright, but it wasn't nearly the size of the Mazda one. hmmm....

Metra kit notes
Got 'er all installed last night. Probably the easiest HU install I've ever done... only a few screws/clips need pulled. I was going to post a How-To with pics, but I was hustling to get it all done last evening. The Metra installation guide that comes with the kit is pretty good. Two variations I found with the Metra installation guide, 1) in the manual transmission there is only one screw to remove under the shifter panel (automatic has 2 screws), and 2) you need to take off the white plastic clips from the OEM face and transfer them over to the spots on the Metra to make a proper snap connection... you'll see what I mean.

Scosche harness mod
Also, with the Scosche MA03B wiring harness, there was a lead for a power antenna (which we don't have) and there was a missing lead for the 'Illumination' (ie, dim the HU when the headlights are on). I easily swapped the plug pin location to the '15' hole found here using the 'paper clip' method found here.

Running line under carpet
The final note I will say about the install regards running a line to the rear. I had to run back my 1/2" thick SIRIUS tuner lead to the rear to connect beside the spare. The 'B' Pillar panel is a MOFO! For the life of me I could only pop off the drivers door side, sliding door side said FU and wouldn't move. OTOH, I could pull up the carpet on the sliding door side, but not the drivers door side! :mad: I could tell there was a depressed channel where the OEM wiring passes through, but it makes a V-shape away from the drivers door and then back along the sliding door... in desperation I finally accomplished my mission by lifting the carpet half way down the driver's door and along the sliding door, and found some thin telephone line that I was able to pass through easier than the SIRIUS lead, wrapped up the end of the Sirius lead and yanked it through... it worked, thank God! You may have to deal with the same aggravation if you run amp lines, so you've been warned, lol!

Here are some pics...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 395
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Metra kit notes
Got 'er all installed last night. Probably the easiest HU install I've ever done... only a few screws/clips need pulled. I was going to post a How-To with pics, but I was hustling to get it all done last evening. The Metra installation guide that comes with the kit is pretty good. Two variations I found with the Metra installation guide, 1) in the manual transmission there is only one screw to remove under the shifter panel (automatic has 2 screws), and 2) you need to take off the white plastic clips from the OEM face and transfer them over to the spots on the Metra to make a proper snap connection... you'll see what I mean.

Scosche harness mod
Also, with the Scosche MA03B wiring harness, there was a lead for a power antenna (which we don't have) and there was a missing lead for the 'Illumination' (ie, dim the HU when the headlights are on). I easily swapped the plug pin location to the '15' hole found here using the 'paper clip' method found here.

Running line under carpet
The final note I will say about the install regards running a line to the rear. I had to run back my 1/2" thick SIRIUS tuner lead to the rear to connect beside the spare. The 'B' Pillar panel is a MOFO! For the life of me I could only pop off the drivers door side, sliding door side said FU and wouldn't move. OTOH, I could pull up the carpet on the sliding door side, but not the drivers door side! :mad: I could tell there was a depressed channel where the OEM wiring passes through, but it makes a V-shape away from the drivers door and then back along the sliding door... in desperation I finally accomplished my mission by lifting the carpet half way down the driver's door and along the sliding door, and found some thin telephone line that I was able to pass through easier than the SIRIUS lead, wrapped up the end of the Sirius lead and yanked it through... it worked, thank God! You may have to deal with the same aggravation if you run amp lines, so you've been warned, lol!

Here are some pics...

good job. on a side note, I just noticed that the '08 climate control dials are in a different order than on yours. why they would bother with that...dunno

thanks. I agree, I can't fathom that they actually received any kind of complaints about the order the HVAC controls were located in the 06/07. You'd think if nothing else this just creates a bit more overhead with parts for no real gain.

Last edited:
Nice pics and good job jandree22. The small tray under the stereo reminds me of my old Honda (yeah, that was my only "mod", a nice Pioneer stereo I had). It was cool to have some extra space for CDs or parking slips ;). Question, Did you keep the satellite radio subscription?

I just noticed that the '08 climate control dials are in a different order than on yours. why they would bother with that...dunno

Yeah, and there is more to it, but that one is just plain weird. It is even documented in the manual. It seems that it is only for the ones with rear A/C. According to one of the fellow members the fan knob should be closer to the driver (Hey, for the JDM Premacy (Japan) is then correct, but they don't get the rear A/C I think :D)

Check this out:

http://www.mazdav.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3568082&postcount=382

Question, Did you keep the satellite radio subscription?
Yep, I was going to call Sirius to change my tuner ESN# back to my old Kenwood box, but when I fired it up it was still activated, so... guess they never deactivated it from before? eh, as long as I'm only getting charged $12.95/mo I'll keep my mouth shut :)

^^ Weird. I understand when they need to deactivate home cable as you need to go to the location, but for this one?

Regardless, keeping mum (sssh)...

well, technically I could have kept the Mazda OEM unit running, and put the Kenwood tuner in my wifes car and had two accounts going for the price of one (normally $7/mo more for a 2nd account).

Back