What did you pay for your 08 CX-9

and I guess my wife wants that $*%&$ back up camera in the NAV package

If you don't really care about the NAV, get the camera that's built into the rear view mirror. Of course, you don't get the power lift gate...

I've read horrible things about this NAV, which is why I'm not getting it. It's too bad Mazda bundled the power hatch with the NAV, makes no sense to me, but what can you do.

If you are getting S-plan, tell the dealer that other S-plan buyers are getting invoice -$500. Worth a shot.

The nav isn't that bad. It may be overpriced for what you get, but I don't think it is as bad as I've read on this forum. It has a great quality screen, it recalculates routes *very* quickly, it's routing choices aren't bad, and it's reasonably simple to use the basic features.

The things I don't like are that you can't enter a new address in while on the move (but you can choose from a previous or preset destination), and I don't like some of the screen order choices that are non-intuitive at first. Also, the voice control of the unit is spotty.

I'm a bit of a GPS junkie (we've got >10 units in the house right now, including a neat new one I picked up a few days ago http://www.findmespot.com ), and I'm perfectly happy with the one Mazda provides, admittedly it's a few steps behind the leading in-car ones, like Acura/Honda and Toyota/Lexus. But I'd still much rather have the in-car Mazda one compared to any add-on device hanging from a suction cup or stuck on the top of the dash. There's never a worry about coming back to a broken window if you forgot to take the unit down, and there's never a choice made to not put the nav up because it's too much trouble to take down at each stop. And the integration with the stereo makes it a much better experience than any aftermarket add-on can provide (unless you're planning on ripping out the whole stereo and replacing it with an AVIC or equivalent).

Rural NC -
08 GT-AWD, Brilliant Black Sunroof/Bose package, Roof Rack, Keyless, back up cam
Sticker $37675.00
(No GPS, Auto lift gate, rear DVD)

Traded a 2005 Honda Element with 50K mi, after all taxes and fees were included wrote a check for $26,500.

Likes and dislikes

Wish the rear window opened independently from lift gate - stuff tends to fall out when opening

Wish the Bose system CD player would play MP3's burned to CD

The keyless system is wonderful, just need to break 30 years of habit

Auto Wipers are some fine engineering

Blind spot in right rear, getting used to by passenger mirror adjustment

Hit myself with the door in forehead, nice gash, the element had much more vertical door lines

nice escape hole for MP3 wires in middle console

Hi

Here in Mexico City or a 2008 Sport 2WD i paid $351,700.00 Mexican Pesos which is around $31,972 USD. I gave a down paymento of $9100 USD and i'm going to pay $745 USD per month for 48 months.

OK - finally getting the car tomorrow. What a story. I travel a 3 hour diameter from my home city, and I had stopped in while overnighting and looked at a couple of Mazda dealers. Everyone I had talked to said S plan was a good as you could do. They were too quick with that and it made me investigate more. Then I found some people on here that had gotten 4 or 500 below S plan...with varing doc fees 79- to 250. I told everyone I delt with I can get s plan anywhere, I just wanted someone to show me they appreciated my business. No one would budge and offer a cent lower.

Tuesday night, I am eating at a resturent in a town I had not look. I asked the waitress for the yellow pages and I called the dealer, asked to talk to the sales manager ( about an hour before close) and found he had the type car we wanted. I told him the "everyone offers me s plan - i hear of others getting 4 or 500 off, and no one acts like they want my business" story, and he offers me 600 off s plan over the phone. Then next moring he calls me and I am really in a mixed state....do I buy a car two hours away to save 5-600 dollars - having to go get it, have I really helped myself that much. I am telling the guy this and I hear him hitting his buttons - he ask " what is it going to take to stop all this shopping and make a decision?". I told him I did not know, if I lived in this town, I would buy his car today. He then says, " lets put this to rest, I am going to give you a deal you can talk about for a while and I am going to get this car off my lot. The throws out 1195 dollars below S plan and NO doc fee! I tell him sold. ( I was impressed that they emailed me the invoices...all exact what shoes in edmonds - invoice shows s plan price, s plan commission and with hold. I don't have the invoice in front of me, but there was about 630 dollars S plan commission, and 633 dollars withhold.....appears they passed most of that along to me.

Anyway - we have been wanting the car and I pick it up tomorrow - 08 Pearl white GT w sand leather, bose/moonroof, Blind spot moniter, GTassist pack,( those were had to have) splash guard, roof rails, moonroof wind deflector - cargo net and cargo mat ( last two our adds) 1195 under edmonds/invoice and NO doc fee. Added 6 dollars for some fee (?) and the delivery was 635 instead of the 595 on edmunds. I think I did all right - we are excited. Taxes and Tags when I get it to my state.

Failed to tell people on here thanks for your past posting and learning from you about the cars - getting a good price etc.

Thanks for your help

Hi

Here in Mexico City or a 2008 Sport 2WD i paid $351,700.00 Mexican Pesos which is around $31,972 USD. I gave a down paymento of $9100 USD and i'm going to pay $745 USD per month for 48 months.

We get ripped off something fierce here in Australia. My original quote on the Luxury model CX9 was AU$63250 drive away with extra's ie floor mats, bonnet protector, boot liner, parking sensors.

After a fair bit of negotiating I ended up paying AU$58000 drive away. The top spec CX7 with no extras sells for AU$50000 here.

I reckon the CX9 should be a lot cheaper here as the AU$ has been trading between US$0.87 - US$0.94 for months.

Anyway I think the car is fantastic and I paid a fair price for my market.

Just got 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring With BLIS

Paid 2% below invoice in Houston TX. That's $633 below invoice.

MSRP = $34,190
Invoice = $31,649 (Including $635 destination charge)
Total price = $33,227 OTD (Including 6.25% TX sales tax and license)

Got 0% financing for 36 months too.

Okay... so this is what I came home with.

Setting the Price:
2008 CX-9, Black Cherry Mica/Sand Leather
GT Assist
Moonroof/Bose/6 CD Package
Blind Spot Monitoring
Compass/Homelink Mirror
Tow Package
Wheel Locks

MSRP: $39,300
Negotiated: $36,100

Additional Items:
20" Chrome Wheels: $550
Lojack: $400
Teflon Exterior/Scotchgard Interior aka "Touch of Class" (cheesy name, I know): $300
Cargo Mat: $0
Cargo Net: $0
Additional Items Total: $1250

Acquisition Fee: $595

Lease Data:
MSRP: 39300
Cap Cost: 37945 = 36100+1250(additional items)+595(acquisition fee)
Cap Cost Reduction: 750 (lease credit rebate)
Residual Factor: 50%
Term: 36 months for 15K miles/year
Money Factor: 0.00218 <<--this is where I think I may have been duped... :( (Tier 2 credit)
Base: 611.28
Tax: 47.37 (California Sales Tax of 7.75%)
Monthly Payment: 658.65

This was done where I was a "guarantor" for my company.

Basically, no that I have dropped my trousers - I would like the "peanut gallery" to tell me EVERY where I could have done better. This may not be the best deal, but I am humble enough to take some advice so I don't repeat some mistakes in the future. In other words, have at it! On the other hand, if everything looks fine, kudos would be appreciated.

I am enjoying the vehicle, but I feel as if I may have been duped somewhere in my fuzzy math about all of this. Any insights would be appreciated.

(homework)

I hesitate to post, but you did ask for all opinions from the peanut gallery. I think that you negotiated the initial sale price pretty well. But, the end result of $660 a month lease for a car that you've negotiated a $37k cost for is quite high. With that much cash available each month, you could have purchased the car and come out way ahead after 3 years, with zero mileage restrictions or any other leasing concerns (early termination fees, condition charges upon return, etc). Why were you interested in getting Lojack and Scotchguard on a leased car that you're dumping in 3 years?

07 Titanium Silver Mazdaspeed 6 with the GT package.
Bought it with 43miles on it (10 of which i put on test drive)
27956$
not bad deal i guess after reading what other people paid.(lol2)

aciurczak,
Lojack - my wife and I have been hit with auto thefts a couple of times. Call it a piece of mind. There's also a insurance discount with having it installed

Scotchgard - we anticipate that food (especially milk and spitup) will be items that will be happening in the car with our first child (due date 3/2008). The two of us like to have a clean cars... let's see how long that will last. ;)

The finance cost on the vehicle was around $750. I also figured that it being a "company car" the lease write off (with the help of my savvy accountant) would negate the effect of the lease payment.

So I do feel half-good about negotiating on the price - thanks for your input. Keep it coming. At the end of it all, it's all about learning and not making the same or similar mistakes again - that would be FOOLISH.

Is there anything I could do to "correct the course"? I know I may have "made my bed" but can I do something to make it even more "plush"? Renegotiate lease terms when my credit would allow for tier 1 acceptance? Go with another lease company? Any creative ideas?

Last edited:
Hello everyone...you have a great thread here for people in the market to buy a CX-9. I live in Hawaii and I'm not sure if the below invoice pricing mentioned in this thread applies here in Hawaii? Can anyone help here? Im looking to buy a Brilliant Black GT FWD with Assist Pkg, Mud Gaurds, Theft Alarm, and Sand Leather. I keep reading something about a rear parking sensor and video camera. Is this two different types of sensors or the same thing? Also, is the side visibility that bad to need the blind spot sensors? Is the remote start a good investment? Your help is appreciated...thanks in advance :)

Hello everyone...you have a great thread here for people in the market to buy a CX-9. I live in Hawaii and I'm not sure if the below invoice pricing mentioned in this thread applies here in Hawaii? Can anyone help here? Im looking to buy a Brilliant Black GT FWD with Assist Pkg, Mud Gaurds, Theft Alarm, and Sand Leather. I keep reading something about a rear parking sensor and video camera. Is this two different types of sensors or the same thing? Also, is the side visibility that bad to need the blind spot sensors? Is the remote start a good investment? Your help is appreciated...thanks in advance :)

Aloha Bra....
Im almost for certain that dealers in hawaii will not give you invoice price. I used to live in hawaii and then moved to WA. I price checked several dealers here in WA and in Hawaii, and nothing comes close to invoice in the 50th state. Unfortunately hawaii car dealers need to make a huge profit margin to keep up with their business. Finding a GT trim is also hard. Majority of the dealers only have the sport or touring trim. Remote start is not a good investment in hawaii. Well maybe. You could pre cool your CX9 before you enter it. I use the remote start to heat my car up before I enter it. I think JN mazda in ala moana had the best deal. 1000 over invoice... As for the deal I got here in WA 600 BELOW invoice for a GT AWD. The back up camera is a great safety feature, I have the monitor on my rear view mirror. .My suggestion, pressure the dealer to build you a specific model that you want. Atleast you will get your specific options and color. The disadvantage is that you might have to wait as long as 4 months to have your order shipped to hawaii. Since its an factory order maybe the dealers in hawaii can go 300 over invoice or even less. Keep in mind dealers in hawaii get a HUGE residual or kick back from the manufacture (2%) ie. 30000 x 2% = 600.00 ( amount that goes to the dealer if they sell a CX9 ) Good luck and aloha....

Aloha Bra....
Im almost for certain that dealers in hawaii will not give you invoice price. I used to live in hawaii and then moved to WA. I price checked several dealers here in WA and in Hawaii, and nothing comes close to invoice in the 50th state. Unfortunately hawaii car dealers need to make a huge profit margin to keep up with their business. Finding a GT trim is also hard. Majority of the dealers only have the sport or touring trim. Remote start is not a good investment in hawaii. Well maybe. You could pre cool your CX9 before you enter it. I use the remote start to heat my car up before I enter it. I think JN mazda in ala moana had the best deal. 1000 over invoice... As for the deal I got here in WA 600 BELOW invoice for a GT AWD. The back up camera is a great safety feature, I have the monitor on my rear view mirror. .My suggestion, pressure the dealer to build you a specific model that you want. Atleast you will get your specific options and color. The disadvantage is that you might have to wait as long as 4 months to have your order shipped to hawaii. Since its an factory order maybe the dealers in hawaii can go 300 over invoice or even less. Keep in mind dealers in hawaii get a HUGE residual or kick back from the manufacture (2%) ie. 30000 x 2% = 600.00 ( amount that goes to the dealer if they sell a CX9 ) Good luck and aloha....

Mahalo (thanks in Hawaiian) CX9BUYER for the quick reply...you're right about the 08 GT model being scarce here and will have to order it. To bad there isn't a car broker with low overhead that is willing to offer more more hold backs to undercut the dealerships here.

I'm still confused about the backup warning sensor. Is there a backup sensor read-out that is incorporated into the navigation display? Is the backup sensor different from the backup camera system in the rear view mirror? Also, is the side visibility that bad to need the blind spot sensors for lane changes?

I'm also confused with the term residual. Is this a term used only for leases or does it also apply to dealer hold backs on purchases? Is there a way to find out exacly how much hold back dealerships get from the manufacturer?

There is no backup sensor, there is a backup camera available. If you get the Navigation system, the backup camera is included with that package and the camera's view is shown on the navigation screen when you put the transmission in reverse. If you don't get the navigation, you can purchase the backup camera separately, and you can purchase a different rear-view mirror which has a small LCD display on it; that is where the camera's view would then be shown. Check Mazda's accessory site for actual prices, but if I remember correctly the camera itself is around $300, and the mirror is another $300.

The Blind Spot Monitoring system is completely separate, and I thought that going forward it is standard on all GT's. It only deals with objects in the blind spot to the right and left of the car, not when backing up.

There is no backup sensor, there is a backup camera available. If you get the Navigation system, the backup camera is included with that package and the camera's view is shown on the navigation screen when you put the transmission in reverse. If you don't get the navigation, you can purchase the backup camera separately, and you can purchase a different rear-view mirror which has a small LCD display on it; that is where the camera's view would then be shown. Check Mazda's accessory site for actual prices, but if I remember correctly the camera itself is around $300, and the mirror is another $300.

The Blind Spot Monitoring system is completely separate, and I thought that going forward it is standard on all GT's. It only deals with objects in the blind spot to the right and left of the car, not when backing up.

aciurczak thanks for the clarification on the backup camera. As far as I can tell the Mazda site does not list the Blind Spot Monitoring System (Option BS1) in the Assistance Package. I imagine if you got it they snuck in a charge for yours. But, do you really use your blind spot sensors or is visibility good enough without it for lane changes?

Also, for some reason, the manufacturer decided to sell 2008 CX-9s with a 3.7L engine vs. the 3.5 that got it the 2008 Motor Trend SUV of the Year award. Anyone have any insite why they would change the engine (suspicious)?

Here is my configuration off a CUDL Web Site:

http://www.cudlautosmart.com/NewCar/BuildAVehicleStep5.aspx?WT.svl=SubMenu

MSRP Invoice
National Base Price 2008 GT CX-9 $33,355 $30,842
Destination Charge $635 $635
Optional Equipment -- --
Moonroof and Bose Audio Package (1MC) $1,760 $1,514
Burglar Alarm including Shock Sensor (PSL) 199 $160
Wheel Locks (PIO) (WLK) $50 $40
Sand Leather (TB3L) $0 $0
Total with options $35,999 $33,191

I have a 2007; no BSM was available until the 2008's came out. In other threads, it appears that for early 2008's it was an extra option, but later builds all came with it. It is unrelated to the GT Assist package as far as I know. There are quite a few threads on the new 3.7 liter engine vs. the 3.5, as well as on the BSM (the "search" function is right within the nav bar at the top of the forum).

I have a 2007; no BSM was available until the 2008's came out. In other threads, it appears that for early 2008's it was an extra option, but later builds all came with it. It is unrelated to the GT Assist package as far as I know. There are quite a few threads on the new 3.7 liter engine vs. the 3.5, as well as on the BSM (the "search" function is right within the nav bar at the top of the forum).

thanks for the info...well the dealer made me a first offer of $500 below MSRP for any special ordered GT CX-9 and no dealer hold backs or incentives :(

any advice on my counter offer is welcome...

I just checked the Edmunds CX-9 Pricing forum and TMV value for a 08 GT CX-9 FWD with the options I want. Both the TMV and forum report near or just over MSRP. Could it be that the 08 GT CX-9 deals here are just fluke compared to the data Edmunds TMV evaluates?

Back