Scarred Cylinder Walls on Forged Engine

Metallic36

:
2003 Mazda6 3.0L Speed Yellow
Needing some basic info about the reasons this happens and what can be done about it when it happens. Thank you.

Edit: Attaching photos.

Last edited:
Metallic36 said:
Needing some basic info about the reasons this happens and what can be done about it when it happens. Can supply photos via PM. Thank you.

Send me pics. I've seen plenty of FS internals over the last 4 years. I can compare what you have to the motors sitting in my garage.

Yup, same thing with mine. 15k on engine. Had some scratches in the bore on each cylinder near tdc. Depending on how bad they are, a good solid hone will help eleviate them. Other than that, an overbore will be in order. Get with the vendors and see what they have availiable. I had to wait forever for my rods and pistons (long story), but I think both JDMSam and Dana at speedcircuit stock these parts nowadays.

the most common cause of this is from brocken rings,primarily from detonation, but this is not allways the case.sometimes you can have foriegn matter(usually from the engine itself)or in some cases a wristpin can hit the walls if installed imporperly.

I hate to see that. Someone doesn't know how to put a motor together. Even my oil starved motors where I destroyed multiple rod bearings didn't have scoring that bad....and they had over 75,000 miles on them.

Metallic36 said:
Needing some basic info about the reasons this happens and what can be done about it when it happens. Thank you.

Edit: Attaching photos.

You got owned. I think you can prolly fix it?

Has the appearance of a tight bore. Pop one rod and piston out and have your machinist measure your bore and piston to see what kind of clearance there is/isn't.

sad thing is, the guy who sold her this engine was a customer of mine and he knew full well when he sold it to her the builders screwed up majorly on it and that it was no good

good to see that he indeed finaly came through with the sale. sorry that it is in sad shape. nice to see that he has a scammer title now. maby you can pull the parts out and put them in your block w/ new rings?

Captain KRM P5 said:
sad thing is, the guy who sold her this engine was a customer of mine and he knew full well when he sold it to her the builders screwed up majorly on it and that it was no good

I can back this up. What a peice of work. So much for saving that $100 with his local engine builder, eh ken?

Metallic - did he mention that the engine was damaged?

Fudgie said:
Has the appearance of a tight bore. Pop one rod and piston out and have your machinist measure your bore and piston to see what kind of clearance there is/isn't.
wrd..
sucks to hear..g'luck

Let us know what happens with this. I've met this guy before and I bought my winter rims/tires from him. I should check them out to make sure they're not going to explode on me. LOL. This really pisses me off and I feel bad for you. I hope he man's up to it. Did he think that he could just part with the motor and then just not hear about it all over the forums? What a douche!

Kooldino said:
I can back this up. What a peice of work. So much for saving that $100 with his local engine builder, eh ken?

He just went to the wrong builder -> word on the street was it was a Hyundai tech that assembled the motor(boom01).

anyways, the scammer label is one thing, but kind of a mute point considering the magnitude of this transaction and that it has already taken place. He knew the motor was bad, heck, at least 1/2 the locals here knew it was bad. If I would have seen a FS thread in regards to this motor, I would have informed those interested of this.

Such BS to rip off a fellow enthusiast like this

Last edited:
No, he NEVER mentioned the engine was damaged at all. I asked him if it was ready to put into my car and he said yes, that it was only used for 1200 miles and that the only reason he was selling it was that he was trading his car in, and the place he was trading it to would not give him any extra for the engine he had in it, so he was buying a stock one to put into it so he could trade it. I paid him $1500 for an engine that was supposed to be lightly used with 1200 miles at the most on all parts. I wish he would step up and fix this instead of running off and saying "haha I ****** you over, too bad for you" because that's all he has done at this point. Paypal won't do anything because I filed the claim when he first would never get back to me about the tracking number that he never gave to me. Paypal won't let you change the reason for the claim, so he won since all he had to do was provide tracking info.. which he did, two days AFTER I made the dispute. I called Paypal and told them the deal, tried everything I could with them but they said to "try and work it out with the seller." I've been trying that, to no avail.

Kooldino said:

Back