Any custom hood vents out there?

I will draw up a mock up but I think i found a solution. Simply imagine the stock hood with vent cutouts like the pictures at the beginning on the thread. on the underside you have the metal grate like you would normally have. on either side of the grate you would have a small metal track (kind of like a drawer) in this track there would be a piece of sheet metal (painted body color) that would be slid back when you want the vents open (use a small thumbscrew to hold them in place) and then slid forward when it is raining by loosening the thumbscrew and sliding the plate forward and tightening the screw again.

I have always liked this type of hood vent. I don't know that it will offer the kind of ventalation that you need but may help kinetic cooling while driving.

Attachments

• ventchopone.JPG
    ventchopone.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 151
it might help slightly to take the rubber sill from the back of the hood ontop of the firewall off. i did. but x2 on the wraping the manifold. that would help dramatically.

The problem with removing the rubber (or spacing the hood if I could) is that it actually pulls air in from the base of the windshield. It would be cooler in the engine bay, but I really want to cool the bay by more efficiently moving air through the rad and then out. Wrapping the headers is an option, but there's a lot of hot plumbing in there. 2 manifolds, the y pipe going to the turbo, and finally the downpipe headed back down. I've wrapped the up and downpipes, but there's still a lot of tubing = several rolls of wrap.

Try venting cool air from the fog deletes. Do you have an under hood temp guage?? of make an undercarriage cover that vents some air in with sheet metal. The only concern I would have with that though is that one of 2 things can happen depending on the angles. Either it's going to add downforce and increase your traction or increase lift and make your front end sloppy at high speeds...which is scary.
BTW Tom the only reason I added that last info is for those noobs that don't understand these things yet and find this post years to come...LOL
Now where's my DP???!!!

I don't think he wants to spend any money. He can always make the WRX scoop buy cutting into the hood and getting of those universal ones on ebay for like $20

I've been doing some reading on racecar aerodynamics to determine if / how I might be able to increase airflow out the bottom of the enginebay and out the back of the car. I'd love to increase the overall airflow through the radiator, cool the enginebay, and decrease lift (if not create downforce), but I'd have to really drop the car and get serious about underbody trays. Until the rest of the car is more fully sorted I'm not going to get too worried about it. I don't want to spend much and I can't just cut vents in the hood after all because the hood bracing is asymmetrical and I know that would really bug me. I have thought about just cutting the bracing and then riveting in some universal louvers. Part of me loves it, part of me hates it...

Pontiac GTP vents
http://wardsweb.org/cars/miata_exterior.html#louvers

280ZX Scoop / vent
IMG_2082.jpg

Custom Louver Panel
louver.jpg

I posted in the Hawaii section... Scratch - do you know the member's name. I don't mind searching.

I've been doing some reading on racecar aerodynamics to determine if / how I might be able to increase airflow out the bottom of the enginebay and out the back of the car. I'd love to increase the overall airflow through the radiator, cool the enginebay, and decrease lift (if not create downforce), but I'd have to really drop the car and get serious about underbody trays. Until the rest of the car is more fully sorted I'm not going to get too worried about it. I don't want to spend much and I can't just cut vents in the hood after all because the hood bracing is asymmetrical and I know that would really bug me. I have thought about just cutting the bracing and then riveting in some universal louvers. Part of me loves it, part of me hates it...

Pontiac GTP vents
http://wardsweb.org/cars/miata_exterior.html#louvers

280ZX Scoop / vent
IMG_2082.jpg

Custom Louver Panel
louver.jpg

This was along the lines of what I was getting at. Did you see my bad mock up picture using your car. I think that it might be funtional but I am not sure how hot your engine bay is getting so it may not be worth it. Ill post it again

Attachments

• ventchopone.JPG
    ventchopone.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 160
Thats crazy looking. I like it but I don't, maybe just one set of those vents would be suffice, and I would say the vents closest to the radiator in order to let hot air from the rad. fans to blow out the hood instead of underneat

Back when I had my Protege. I guess a hood vent for Cold Air.

Cold Air/SRI Combo, functional CF Naca Duct ( like this one DG CF Hood )

Never had a CEL or anything. My Bro has everything I had before but I am thinking of doing something similar for mine again.

MVC-025F.jpg

MVC-002F.jpg

I think that hood as is looks like s***!!! maybe one column would look better....MAYBE

I am picking up an extra hood and thinking of doing something similar. Bump for more designs! Ill post up some that I have been thinking of!

Back