Fellow MSPers, I need your help with a factory alarm problem :(

RX

Contributor
:
Sunlight Silver MSP
Alright, here is my dilemma. My car got broken into from the passenger side door in December. Ever since then my alarm goes off EVERY single time I get into my car. What appears to be happening is that there is a about a 60 sec. delay from the time all doors are closed. After this delay, the factory alarm is activated. I know this because the red light on the dash is slowly blinking.

If I try to get back into my car, a short delay after I open any door, the alarm goes off: the red light blinks rapidly, headlights flash, horn goes on and off, and the starter is disabled.

So, every single time I get into my car I now have to put my key in the ignition, turn the key to the ON position, and hit the emergency override that's under the dash. Kinda annoying.

Some other observations. When I hit the lock/unlock button on the remote, the lock handle that suppose to move up and down only works for the driver side door. The remote alarm system was working fine prior to the break-in. I can only lock and unlock the passenger side door now with the key.

I've taken my car to the dealership 3 times now and I probably would have taken care of this sooner but they are so far away. The first 2 times it was a battle just to prove to them that it was indeed a factory alarm system and not aftermarket. Anyways, they seem to think that the actual module unit has "malfunctioned" and needs to be replaced. They said it would cost around $700 for actual parts and labor to do the install. Now here is the kicker, they said it would be covered under warranty ONLY if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't work then I would have to pay out of pocket. WTF?

So I have a couple of options here. I can either take the risk of bringing it back to the stealership, buy and install an aftermarket alarm, or try to fix it myself.

I have always thought that the root of the problem is where the break-in occured. Under the handle on the passenger side is a little hole that the theifs created to "pop the lock". Could there be a loose wire or something that's cut behind the handle? Should I open up the door and investigate? The dealership couldn't give a straight answer as to whether they actually opened to door to look.

I double checked all the fuses to see if anything shorted out. Is there suppose to be any missing fuses? I doubt a missing fuse would be causing the problem anyways.

Attached are some pictures to further illustrate.

Attachments

• GTA 002.jpg
    GTA 002.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 111
  • GTA 004.jpg
    GTA 004.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 116
  • GTA 005.jpg
    GTA 005.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 122
  • GTA 006.jpg
    GTA 006.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 126
  • GTA 007.jpg
    GTA 007.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Attachments

• GTA 008.jpg
    GTA 008.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 101
  • GTA 009.jpg
    GTA 009.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 103
i had the same problem what i did is dissconnect the battery and the hook it back up after like a few min. and the alram should go off just a few sec. after you hook it back up, the go to the driver door put the key in the lock and turn and hold until it goes off.

MSPYOUNGERS38 said:
i had the same problem what i did is dissconnect the battery and the hook it back up after like a few min. and the alram should go off just a few sec. after you hook it back up, the go to the driver door put the key in the lock and turn and hold until it goes off.
No.

MSPYOUNGERS38 said:
No, unless your car was broken into you didn't have the same problem as me.
No, I already know how to stop the alarm.
No, your run-ons hurt my brain.

I want some insight into what might be causing the alarm to go off in the first place.

Just so you know, you can buy the full factory alarm system (the brain, shock sensor (which I don't think the MSP even came with) and all the wiring harness) for about 100 dollars NEW from MAZDA.

really, i thought the msp and p5 systems were one and the same = msp has shock sensor. i could test it out, but then again my alarm is acting funny as well. likes to leave the lights on when armed.
im going to wait til spring and get an after market installed and this awful alarm exercised.

well the alarm that you probably have in your vehicle is a code alarm unit branded by mazda, because ford uses code alarm units and as we all know mazda is part of fomoco. Now the drill hole that is in the door, the reason they did that was probably to try to disable your door trigger, notice the 3-60sec delay before your alarm goes off now? Anyways take your door off to see if they cut or grounded anywires in the door. Otherwise take it to a local car security shop and they should able to bypass the factory system and install a new one for you

The door trigger isn't on the doors though.. it's the same switch that is used to turn on the dome lamp when you open the door, on the b-pillar. I know that's the one the alarm uses because if you've installed the factory alarm, that's where the wires go to. And yes, it's a Code Alarm unit.

You don't need to "bypass" the factory security system because it can be uninstalled fairly easily. It's on a plug and play harness with a bunch of passthrough connectors. You can pull the brain, then disconnect it's wiring harness. No wires would need to be cut or anything :)

right I know.. but if you want to properly uninstall the unit you would want to remove all of the wires and most alarms will have a starter kill so you will also have to re-connect the starter wire

It's totally plug and play, including all the starter stuff. It uses nice pass-through connections, no wires have to be cut to install or uninstall. unhook the starter passthrough connector, and then clip the two sides of the ignition harness back together. Same for the other harnesses it connects to.

cool well then I would just unhook all of it and see what happens. if it still does it then i'm stumped and I would recommend just replacing the whole unit with an after market one anyways... today my alarm went off and from the sound of it I know it's an after market alarm anyways..

Just so you know, you can buy the full factory alarm system (the brain, shock sensor (which I don't think the MSP even came with) and all the wiring harness) for about 100 dollars NEW from MAZDA.

You wouldn't happen to have the mazda part number, would ya?

Back