Mazda 3 engine ?

Phoenix5

:
2K2 Sport20 Familia 5spd-C-Red!
Can any 3 owners explain this for me?I'm sensing it could be a mock turbo??
Thanx!

Variable Induction System

Both MAZDA3 engines are built with a variable induction system that utilizes resonant frequency to boost power at both low and high rpm. Resonant frequency occurs when a wavelength fits perfectly within the length of a closed area. Inside the induction manifold, the pulse of opening and closing intake valves creates a frequency that, when matched to the length of the intake runner, establishes a resonant frequency effect that pushes the air along through the tube like a small turbocharger, creating a free boost in power. Motor sports racers call this being "on the pipe."
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Both MAZDA3 engines use intake manifolds that can change their intake runner length so that at different RPM, the engines can spend more time being "on the pipe" or near it. The result is an increase in both engine performance and efficiency.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Ok... you posted the question and then explained the whole system in detail right after.

What exactly do you want to know?? (scratch)

He probably want to know mechnically how it works specific to the 2.3. I would like to know too.

There's an airflow valve that opens and closes to change the direction of the airflow, thus changing the length of the intake runner.

goldwing2000 said:
There's an airflow valve that opens and closes to change the direction of the airflow, thus changing the length of the intake runner.

Thats what I assumed. The older cobra mustangs used a similar system. For max power efforts we would remove the butterflies. However, you couldn't remove the assembly as it would screw with the computer. This is going back some years.

Anyone got a picture of ours? Like a cutaway?

TampaSport20 said:
VICS...it's not new...mazda has been using it for a while

They actually call it VLIM this time around.

And yes, it's similar to the IMRC system used on Fords. It's been around for a while. A lot of car-makers use it.

I'll try to scan the pictures out of the Service Highlights Manual for ya.

So the airflow valve acts like a turbo in sense that it allows more air into the engine.

in the earlier Mazda's, for example, my 1990 Protege, it has VICS (Variable Intake Control System) where, as described, there are 2 different length runners in the intake manifold and air is distributed via butterflies. The solenoid opens and closes these butterflies at set RPM settings within the ECU.

My particular Protege engine (BP 1.8L DOHC) in n/a form has the VICS, but it's BPT turbo siblings do not have VICS. As with an FI system, there's really no need for VICS, it's already being force feed the air it needs. On a n/a engine, it helps increase top end, as it engages around 4250rpm, pretty close to when a turbo reaches it's spool up and has started to boost.

I don't know if the speed6 2.3L retains this feature in turbo form. As with the BP engine, it can be boosted as a hybrid and retain the VICS or you can swap the entire engine and have no VICS....i never got into it much, as my racing class didn't allow those kinds of changes. But i imagine there's some tuning that can be done to get more power.

Wonder if Juan can shed some insight with the hi-boost kit he's developed, dunno if he's even thought about experimenting with the intake runners.

Last edited:
Ok, here's the pages right out of the service manual. First picture is of the whole system, second is how it operates.

The engine speeds are different for the 2.0L (4,600rpm) but operation is the same.

Attachments

• System.jpg
    System.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Operation.jpg
    Operation.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 211
goldwing2000 said:
In an over-simplified, non-technological nutshell... yes. (shrug)

This is my Favorite reply Evar!!!

Visc, Vtech, VVT-i = All of the lag none of the turbo.
yes i know that they arent all the same.

Thanx guys for the response guys!BTW,I test drove a 3s yesterday,it handled real well and it had good pick up.It seemed like Mazda used the Protege shifter but placed in a sportier clutch.It looks like it's gonna be my #2 choice as far as my next car.

Phoenix5 said:
Thanx guys for the response guys!BTW,I test drove a 3s yesterday,it handled real well and it had good pick up.It seemed like Mazda used the Protege shifter but placed in a sportier clutch.It looks like it's gonna be my #2 choice as far as my next car.

#1 being what?

Really?bc I know it's not like a sport shifter like a Spec V or RSX.And it feels similar to my shifter,but a bit shorter!

Completely different design. Protege uses a linkage-type shifter, Mazda3 uses a twin-cable shifter.

Back