Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

Sorry about the tangents...on to usb update!

OP here, finally got mine done.

But damn, you guys go off on tangents here. This TSB has nothing to do with Voice Recognition or TomTom Navigation.

Anyways.... Surprised you all got your modules as fast as you did. Mine took almost two weeks to get to the dealer.

So far I love it. Bluetooth lag while switching songs is practically instantaneous. Might even be possible to watch videos now and people's lips will match! USB flash drive last song resuming works also and a bit quicker to load.

I don't have an iPod or iPhone so those fixes don't matter to me.
My Nexus 6 with Android 5.1 has always worked with the SMS feature on the car using Hangouts as the default SMS app.

Ok...I am guilty!

Will carry on with my experience with the USB module update/replacement today (4/20). Went in this am so that the Service person could experience and confirm the problem... the USB "issue of continuing 1st song playback after unit shutdown.

After about 10 minutes the tech returned and confirmed the issue existed. I am expecting a replacement tomorrow or Wednesday. This was a different and no-nonsense writer, than was assigned during my 1st "no-joy" visit last week. I wound up calling Mazda USA who quickly confirmed the issue, repair procedure etc. The Mazda USA rep was fast and knew her stuff. She called the dealer and rectified the situation while I remained on the phone.

Side note: After arriving home, I found that keeping the unit turned on, resulted in improper operation of the NAV (it remained "navigating" even after I told it to cancel the route...in sort of a demo mode if you will + the USB playback lag. This was confirmed by the tech as a result of operation without the BT module. They wanted to return the module in advance of its pending replacement. Whatever....

Will not update my post, unless something strange occurs, which is not expected. Turns out the other either did not know, or was confused. Mazda USA did say that the problem was pretty widespread.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a copy of the Canadian TSB? The ones posted so far are only for the US.

My dealer (Yorkdale Dufferin Mazda) just told me today that Mazda Canada issued a Canadian TSB for this, and that they have ordered the necessary part (a few in anticipation of others coming in). It took them 2 weeks to get to here, but I am glad something is happening.
Try YDM if you live in Toronto, they should be familiar with this TSB.

For Canada the TSB number is supposedly 09-15-13. YDM found it right away, but others cannot - anyone have the Canadian PDF?

So I had the module replaced today and followed these steps: Go into bluetooth of the phone and remove all links to the Mazda. Turn off bluetooth, turn it back on and pair with the car. I noticed that the pairing went much quicker than the last time and it actually paired properly. I use the iPhone 6+ with iOS 8.3 at this moment. I can switch between many different mobile phones but this is for now my daily phone. In the bluetooth settings for the iOS turn ON the settings for Show Notifications (important).
I drove home and connected my 32GB USB stick with music - instantly - I mean like 2 seconds the music was playing. I turned off the car, left the stick in the USB port, had supper and went out to check the firmware. USB stick started playing instantly from the point I left it. So yes I have version 07.00.00 - next test was to switch between songs on bluetooth, which went without a hickup and does not delay like 3 seconds any more.
I will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days but I am pretty stoked that I can now use bluetooth connectivity again for making handsfree calls.

So I had the module replaced today and followed these steps: Go into bluetooth of the phone and remove all links to the Mazda. Turn off bluetooth, turn it back on and pair with the car. I noticed that the pairing went much quicker than the last time and it actually paired properly. I use the iPhone 6+ with iOS 8.3 at this moment. I can switch between many different mobile phones but this is for now my daily phone. In the bluetooth settings for the iOS turn ON the settings for Show Notifications (important).
I drove home and connected my 32GB USB stick with music - instantly - I mean like 2 seconds the music was playing. I turned off the car, left the stick in the USB port, had supper and went out to check the firmware. USB stick started playing instantly from the point I left it. So yes I have version 07.00.00 - next test was to switch between songs on bluetooth, which went without a hickup and does not delay like 3 seconds any more.
I will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days but I am pretty stoked that I can now use bluetooth connectivity again for making handsfree calls.

aelaan, whats your BT part number?

Funny, it appears to be a hit miss situation depending on the dealer...In my case, experience differed with 2 different writers.
Writer 1 was a stickler for all the details (no problem for me) and seemed to be wiggling around looking for an excuse not to do it.

After calling MazdaUSA, who called the dealership...I was greeted with a very proper response from writer #2.
a) He verified that the USB sticks always returned to song number 1 after shutdown, and the voice recognition was at best marginal.
b) 2 days later he called me to come in (he had the ordered module had arrived, less than 2 days!) The entire procedure took less than 10 minutes.

The 1st writer just sulked, while the 2nd writer asked me to report my experiences with the update, which I will happily do tomorrow.

He did confide in me, and said that this was maybe the 1st one that he had done, and that he considered the BT issue to be problematic at best! The tech preformed an additional test, noting the extended wait time to hear the first selection begin playback.

Last edited:
Add me to the list. So far, I have just been using bluetooth to play songs from iPhone (5) and it works as it did before. Shuffle still needs to be set every time the car is turned on but the entire process is faster. Also, I know receive messages which is really nice. Overall, worth it !

I made an appointment and informed the dealer of the service bulletin. I drove there, waited 1.5 hours and was told they needed to order the part! I was pissed. They also lied and said they couldn't pre-order it because it depended on the VIN. According to the bulletin, it is 1 part for multiple makes and years. Did everyone have to go to the dealer 2x?

I want this fixed as it is very annoying, but don't want this to be a 5 hour ordeal. I already wasted 2.5 hours with driving.

Did everyone have to go to the dealer 2x?

I called the Mazda Handsfree number & explained the problem (which they acknowledged). They checked my VIN and gave me a reference number for the module replacement. Then I called the dealer to set the appointment. They seemed a little reluctant to agree to order the part, but I gave them the reference number and when I showed up on the the day of the appointment they had the part in hand.

I called the Mazda Handsfree number & explained the problem (which they acknowledged). They checked my VIN and gave me a reference number for the module replacement. Then I called the dealer to set the appointment. They seemed a little reluctant to agree to order the part, but I gave them the reference number and when I showed up on the the day of the appointment they had the part in hand.

This really is the way to go if you want to avoid multiple dealer visits.

Well, it can't all be good, right.

So, the bluetooth works as before to play music and now I can get messages, which is really nice.

What is odd is that if I use the USB to play music from my iPhone 5, it only plays from the first song (alphabetically) and you can't shuffle. The button on the screen does nothing and the voice command does not work either. What is funny is that the voice command works OK when playing from bluetooth but not when plugged into the USB plug.

The music information loads much faster yes, but the USB is now completely un-usable.

Well, it can't all be good, right.

So, the bluetooth works as before to play music and now I can get messages, which is really nice.

What is odd is that if I use the USB to play music from my iPhone 5, it only plays from the first song (alphabetically) and you can't shuffle. The button on the screen does nothing and the voice command does not work either. What is funny is that the voice command works OK when playing from bluetooth but not when plugged into the USB plug.

The music information loads much faster yes, but the USB is now completely un-usable.

Just an update. Im still on the old module but my new phone works great ,everything works like it should, except for the USB which is starting from track one. My new phone Motorolo Moto G works great, downloads messages and bluetooth syncs up very quickly. My old Samsung Galaxy phone had major issues.

Going on a year now, and mine still only reads text and emails for a couple weeks, then stops working until I totally un-pair, then re-pair the car and phone, then it will work again for a couple weeks. You'd think by now(a year later) they'd have a fix!!

Going on a year now, and mine still only reads text and emails for a couple weeks, then stops working until I totally un-pair, then re-pair the car and phone, then it will work again for a couple weeks. You'd think by now(a year later) they'd have a fix!!

Uhhh... They do. There is a new Bluetooth module. That's what this whole thread is about. Did you miss that?

Had the new module installed and it fixed the main problems of the slow loading and the starting at the first track. It still is a relatively slow system. And the shuffle takes too much time to shuffle and if you want it not to shuffle after hitting the shuffle button it still stays lit but will not play the songs in order. Overall much improved but still quirky. Using an IPOD classic with over 5000 songs. The same IPOD plays instantly in my GT500 Mustang with Sync and shuffles immediately. After Mazda's system I will never complain about Sync. And the Mustang is 3 years older than the CX5!

Uhhh... They do. There is a new Bluetooth module. That's what this whole thread is about. Did you miss that?

Uhhh... they already replaced mine, didn't make a bit of difference, it still works for a couple weeks, then stops working until I un-pair and re-pair it, then it works again for a couple more weeks, then stops working, rinse and repeat...

Second day it stated on the first song again. After I use the shuffle button and then try to touch the shuffle button again it stays on shuffle . It may take 4 or 5 touches before the shuffle light goes off. Who the hell designed this crap? But it is still better than what came with the car!

Second day it stated on the first song again. After I use the shuffle button and then try to touch the shuffle button again it stays on shuffle . It may take 4 or 5 touches before the shuffle light goes off. Who the hell designed this crap? But it is still better than what came with the car!

If you have a lot of songs it takes a while for it to generate the shuffle playlist.

I had my v7.0.0 module installed last Thursday.

1. I use an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.3 and I can now not only receive the "New Message Notification", but downloading succeeds and I can read the message or have the car read it for me.
2. Sending replies with the iPhone 6 at iOS 8.3 does not work with a "Failed to Send" message.
3. Bluetooth lag is still there with my iPhone playing through the default Music application. Slightly less than it was before, but still 1-2 seconds.

Back