I Hate My CX-5

I agree from most of the reviews I've read that I'd probably be unhappy with the 2.0L. So, I made sure I went with the 2.5L(AT), and the power is very acceptable to me.

I too have a Miata for a fun car, but after driving a CRV I find the CX5 the most driveable CUV of the lot, and there is definately a little Miata lineage in it. But as others have said, it's still a CUV.

i also echo everyone else's sentiments re: getting the 2.5L engine. I wouldn't have been happy with a 2.0 (which is what the CRV had), especially towing.

You simply can't compare apple to orange. I believe the title of this thread should be "I Hate My Compact SUV" that will be more proper. An SUV is an SUV even if it's a compact. It's designed for more utility than sport and that's why it can carry a cool bike around and still has a lot of room to spare. Although the power-to-weight ratio may be similar, but the compact cars such as Honda Fit or Mazda 2 will be more nimble to drive than a compact SUV which is bigger and a thousand pounds heavier! Your 1997 Miata is fun to drive is because it's designed for sport! But your Miata simply just can't carry your bike like your CX-5 does! Heck your CX-5 even uses less fuel than Miata when you're driving around! I guess you have to make a choice when you're picking up a car as there is no such car or SUV available which can accomplish everything you want. There is no such thing as a perfect "all-purpose" vehicle and that's the fact!

It sucks to have to admit it, but you (along with pretty much everyone else) are right... How I wish the 2.5 was an available option when I purchased in 2013.

After reading some forum opinions, I'm giving myself 3 months to pay off the CX-5. I'll have to make a decision by the 3rd month what to do with the car. Thanks, guys.

Definitely, don't trade it in, you will be loosing a lot of money.

I was in a similar situation with my previous car, a 2012 Ford Focus. It had a tsb which was done which made the car even worse to drive. It was unbearable and I hated every moment being in it. I traded it in for the cx5 and took a huge financial loss...but my happiness increased exponentially. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet if you want to be happy.

It sucks to have to admit it, but you (along with pretty much everyone else) are right... How I wish the 2.5 was an available option when I purchased in 2013.

After reading some forum opinions, I'm giving myself 3 months to pay off the CX-5. I'll have to make a decision by the 3rd month what to do with the car. Thanks, guys.

Theres nothing wrong with not liking a car, just get the car you like and enjoy! My previous car was a 2003 Protege5 , a fun car with great handling and excellent reliability, it only had 130hp but it never felt underpowered to me. I wanted more space to be able to fit my two little ones in the back and be able to haul some extra stuff if needed but still have a sporty and fun drive. To me, my CX5 has a good balance of functionality, performance and sportiness :)...and great fuel economy!

Last edited:
Yep, as everyone already stated your issue is the 2.0L.. that engine should never be an option I think. The 2.5L the perfect engine for the CX-5 with good fuel mileage. I do think they should offer a higher output with the AWD model but that's just me.

What kind of little motorcycle is that you have on the back rack?

Theres nothing wrong with not liking a car, just get the car you like and enjoy! My previous car was a 2003 Protege5 , a fun car with great handling and excellent reliability, it only had 130hp but it never felt underpowered to me. I wanted more space to be able to fit my two little ones in the back and be able to haul some extra stuff if needed but still have a sporty and fun drive. To me, my CX5 has a good balance of functionality, performance and sportiness :)...and great fuel economy!

I would have boosted that p5

Get a VW GTI. I had a 08' VW Rabbit and that car it was an excellent car, no issues at all(AT ALL!!) in 6-1/2 years. It was fun to drive, felt much more solid then the CX5, it was spacious enough for a regular person(I needed bigger place in the back, that is the reason, that I went with the CX5- Tiguan it was way to small in the back).

originally test drove a 2013 auto and it was painful, the 6SPD MT makes it bearable with light weight cargo (daily driver), but have to agreed if you put some weight in it than it constantly struggles to the point of feeling dangerous.

I will probably sell mine at the 5 year mark when it still have good resale value.

if your financially capable, so get something you'll enjoy!

You want to get rid of the CX-5 but you didn’t mention what vehicle in this class meets your “make you special. It is supposed to be an extension of your body and statement of your style” requirement.

You want to get rid of the CX-5 but you didnt mention what vehicle in this class meets your make you special. It is supposed to be an extension of your body and statement of your style requirement.

I fully agree with this comment.

I wonder how much of the lack of character that some people experience on the manual cx-5 comes form the fact that the ECU tries to be too smart for it's own good. When driving around town and shifting under 4k, the throttle response and rev-hang can be very inconsistent. A tune would be able to address these concerns while potentially adding a descent number of ponies.

Re trading up to a 2.5L:
I really don't think that adding an automatic, 25hp, 250lbs and $2500 will somehow suddenly transform the Cx-5 that Ninja feels no passion for into a sports car.

Swapping the 2.5L into a manual CX-5 would solve the "make you special" part of the equation and it would be easier than swapping a manual into an automatic CX-5.
Used, low mileage 2.5L's car be had with a warranty on car-part.com for 1,800 and the labor to swap the engine in would definitely be under 1000. That would make a slightly special CX-5 :)

I once owned an 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS for a year. It required hig revs just to pass a vehicle. It frustrated me to no end with its lack of torque in the normal driving RPM range. I would drive around at 4,000 RPM all the time, just so it would have power to move. I got rid of it fast. When I first test drove the 2013 2.0 CX-5, I immediately got that same feeling of no torque at low rpm. I walked away. When I test drove my 2014.5 CX-5, it was a huge difference. The torque peak is 1,000 rpm lower. It is a full second faster 0-60mph. It was adequate! Sorry you had to find out the hard way. Congrats on the Miata.

Maybe with the Miata and CX-3 both having the 2.0L engine, there will be plenty of mods coming out to squeeze more HP from the engine.
Actually I would consider CX-3 if they did offer a 2.5L engine with 6SP MT, would be great weight to HP ratio.

At this point, I might just pickup a fun car for $1500-$2000. There are plenty of used Miatas, WRXs, or similar cars to choice from, probably cheaper option then trying to sell a near brand new car.

I once owned an 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS for a year. It required hig revs just to pass a vehicle. It frustrated me to no end with its lack of torque in the normal driving RPM range. I would drive around at 4,000 RPM all the time, just so it would have power to move. I got rid of it fast. When I first test drove the 2013 2.0 CX-5, I immediately got that same feeling of no torque at low rpm. I walked away. When I test drove my 2014.5 CX-5, it was a huge difference. The torque peak is 1,000 rpm lower. It is a full second faster 0-60mph. It was adequate! Sorry you had to find out the hard way. Congrats on the Miata.

I forgot about those.. didn't they have a redline in excess of 7K RPM?

Back