2015 Mazda CX-5?

What do we think the chances are for the 2015.5 arriving with a new head unit? One of the factors holding me back on getting the current model is the size of the touchscreen. Current owners, is this something you got/you're getting used to? Or is it not that big of a deal?

The size of the touchscreen (or lack thereof) has entirely been a non-issue for me.

What has been a far more frustrating issue is the way that the head unit, itself, operates (ie. USB, slow response times, time it takes to access phone, no text downloads etc.). By most accounts, there is a fix from Mazda on the way; but, my skepticism is mounting because it's been months in the coming with no concrete promise that there will be a fix, when it will come or if it will be a hardware or software fix.

Drove our 2015 GT home tonight. No obvious changes - nav is TomTom. The sales guy seemed to think the leather was nicer, and the white stitching on the tan leather was changed to gold. Also, he thought the shifter console was more streamlined and slightly different/nicer dash material. Didn't have time to do a direct comparison, but that's it for now...will take pics soon. If you guys have any specific questions, lemme know and I'm happy to investigate...

What makes you think this was a 2015 CX-5? As far as I can see such a car has not been announced.

The size of the touchscreen (or lack thereof) has entirely been a non-issue for me.

What has been a far more frustrating issue is the way that the head unit, itself, operates (ie. USB, slow response times, time it takes to access phone, no text downloads etc.). By most accounts, there is a fix from Mazda on the way; but, my skepticism is mounting because it's been months in the coming with no concrete promise that there will be a fix, when it will come or if it will be a hardware or software fix.

Totally with you on this one. It's only been 2 days with my new CX-5 and despite being prepared for some frustration based on my research, it's maddening how stupid the head unit is.

After hearing about how slow iPhone over USB was, I made the dumb assumption I would be fine just using Bluetooth, assuming the system works like any other bluetooth speaker, but not being able to shuffle my songs (the way I listen to 95% of my music) is broken. Everybody should email mazda about this so that they know how dumb this is. This shouldn't be a difficult fix and seeing how long owners have been complaining about this makes me very nervous.

Totally with you on this one. It's only been 2 days with my new CX-5 and despite being prepared for some frustration based on my research, it's maddening how stupid the head unit is.

After hearing about how slow iPhone over USB was, I made the dumb assumption I would be fine just using Bluetooth, assuming the system works like any other bluetooth speaker, but not being able to shuffle my songs (the way I listen to 95% of my music) is broken. Everybody should email mazda about this so that they know how dumb this is. This shouldn't be a difficult fix and seeing how long owners have been complaining about this makes me very nervous.

I know this link has been posted on other threads; but, for those of you not yet aware of it and to save others from having to try to find it, here is a link to a petition for Mazda to address and repair the head unit issues:

http://www.change.org/petitions/maz...update-head-unit-software-for-the-2014-mazda6

Despite the Mazda 6 reference, if you read the petition, it is also applicable to the CX-5 (because they apparently share the same head unit/software).

Short of starting a class action lawsuit, I think this might be one of the best avenues to let Mazda know the magnitude of its customers dissatisfaction and to compel them to address it before it starts to impact their sales.

2015 cx-5

Thinking about trading in my 2007 CX7 on a CX5 2.5L. I would like to hold off for the 2015 model year. Any good guesses when the CX5s might hit the dealers? Ed Hayes

What is New for 2015

"The 2015 Mazda CX-5 is mostly carryover from last yr. The only notable change is the addition of Mazda Superior Keyless Entry as standard gear on Touring and Grand Touring trims."

Also read that prices of all models increasing by $150.

p.s. You know there was a unannounced 2014.5 model, right?

FWIW, Advanced Keyless Entry is one of my favourite features on this car and one which I'd never really given much weight to before.

the unspoken of benefit is setting the car to automatically lock when you walk away from it. That's actually my favourite part.

Indeed, here's a VinDecoder.net search screenshot (w/ the VIN removed): http://i.imgur.com/RgKogfc.png
You don't even need the VinDecoder since Mazda's service site deciphers the breakdown of the VIN.
Last 6 numbers are the serial number.
The number to the left of that is the plant number (Hiroshima "0" or Hofu "1")
The letter to the left of that is the year: if it has an "E" it is 2014; if it has an "F" it is 2015 (and 2016 will be a G and so on)

(iagree) There do appear to be differences in VINs for markets outside of N. America.

I sat in 2015 CX-5 at my dealer on Saturday. Nothing really has changed except the gear shifter.

I asked about the diesel and USB fix. The dealer said that the diesel is not happening in the US as they have been dragging it for too long.
He said that he was 'not aware' about any USB issues, which I expected actually.

Last edited:
Looks like MSRP pricing stayed steady model year 2014 to model year 2015, at least for awd GT w/tech pkg.

FWIW, I sat in a 2015 at the Richmond car show this past weekend. They are out there, which means I'm hoping for a sweet deal on a 2014.5. We're looking at GTs anyway, so there really isn't any reason to wait any longer.

14.5s GTs are almost gone, at least in my region. They might not budge on price too much, but it's worth a shot. They never seem to want to keep "last one" on the lot too long. Mine also had a handful of miles on it, for which they deducted an extra dollar per mile. Maybe a "we'll beat anyone's price" dealer in your area could work to your advantage as well. And petty as it sounds, the big selling point for me was the straight shifter.

14.5s GTs are almost gone, at least in my region. They might not budge on price too much, but it's worth a shot. They never seem to want to keep "last one" on the lot too long. Mine also had a handful of miles on it, for which they deducted an extra dollar per mile. Maybe a "we'll beat anyone's price" dealer in your area could work to your advantage as well. And petty as it sounds, the big selling point for me was the straight shifter.

There is no such thing as a 2014.5; they are all 2014's. Mazda changed the shifter late in the run and people made that year up.It is more than just semantics; if you buy one of these cars, as soon as you drive it off the lot, it becomes one year old. Go to edmunds or kbb and find the value of a '14 with 100 miles on it- that will give you an idea of depreciation you will get.

There is a difference when I'm specifically looking for the 2014.5 mid year change.

There is a difference when I'm specifically looking for the 2014.5 mid year change.

Just look for the new shifter to get latest version of pre-2015 model. But Monroney sticker/window sticker will still say 2014 (not 2014.5), and don't expect the sales people to give any useful input on topic.

Note: Seek out a build date after October 2013 (which shouldn't be difficult, when looking at remaining 2014's) for upgrades leading to good performance in IIHS small overlap test.

Last edited:
Depreciation is brand-specific, really. If you want worry-free value retention, get a CR-V. Depreciation doesn't matter to people who can afford it and want a driver's car. To this date, my '93 Fazda Probe GT was the best car I've ever driven. It got too expensive to maintain because of waning part availability. You get as much enjoyment out of a car as you can, and then you move on. Period.

Latest posts

Back