Bilstein PSS-10 Ride height

So I never really realized how bad the roads are near where I live. I was nearly pitched into the roof by one bump on the highway this morning. I think that might be because the rear is damn near solid right now with the high rebound of the bilsteins keeping the wheels from extending and the bump stops preventing compression. I'm gonna have to try and sort these bump stops ASAP, or I may have to change the suspension setup for being too firm.

Last edited:
That's the bump stop, mostly. You can cut them while they are on the car but it only takes 10 minutes to get the pair of rear shocks off.

Yea that is mostly the bump stop. The valving is actually slightly under damped for the car. They aren't like Miata bilsteins where there is no compression and 3X too much rebound.

finally got around to cutting my bump stops today and it looks like my rear is sitting just a wee bit lower now. I was already set to max low in the rear so i imagine it was just sitting really hard on the bump stops before, and i freed up that 1.5" of room for the body to drop a bit more. Now the next mission in the project will be to raise everything back up a little bit, guess every good project is never finished :D

I replaced my ABS sensors so I actually have a speedometer and power steering again. :p

I'm thinking I might try just swapping in the old front bump stops to the rear and see how the car rides.

I replaced my ABS sensors so I actually have a speedometer and power steering again. :p

I'm thinking I might try just swapping in the old front bump stops to the rear and see how the car rides.

I'm not sure the front bump stops will fit into the rear upper strut mount, but it might be worth a try. The front bump stops are stiffer though, not sure if it would help or hurt you, since they are shorter it could possibly work though.

I'm surprised your electronics went whacky like that, when my abs wire got cut the only thing that happened was my abs/traction control lights came on, and both systems we're disabled until i replaced the wire.

Both front sensors gave out and caused all the lights and speedo issue. When just one was broke it was like you had, the ABS and ESP light were on. The speedo came back after I replaced one sensor.

I know the front bump stops aren't the right size for the rear, but I figure it will be a decent test of ride. I'm really anxious about cutting up the stock bump stops in case I need to revert to stock. When you guys take the rear shocks off do you jack up the car at all or just unbolt it as the car sits?

I put the rear up on jack stands just so I could get to everything easier.

From my measurements, with the rear stops cut 1.5" and the ride height I am at I have 1" of shock travel before I hit the stops. Seems to be a good place for normal driving and yet when I drive hard you use the stops to stiffen the rear. I am really happy with how balanced the car is. I would like to get a stiffer rear bar and front bar to reduce roll more, but it is so good right now I can't justify it.

I know the front bump stops aren't the right size for the rear, but I figure it will be a decent test of ride. I'm really anxious about cutting up the stock bump stops in case I need to revert to stock. When you guys take the rear shocks off do you jack up the car at all or just unbolt it as the car sits?
The Bilsteins have an internal front bump stop and an external rear. Not sure how/if you could change it. I guess if you disassembled the body, you could get to it.. Not something I'm interested in trying. If/when I send them out for a revalve, I'll look into it further.

I use the rear beam and put the jack stands on the factory jack points. Then do one shock at a time.

You can cut the bump stop with a nice clean cut and always hit it with a little super glue or goodstuff later if you need to get it back together. Take your time and make sure you have a nice sharp blade. Or you clan get a HandiCut from Sears and rotate the stop in the jaws like I did. Makes it perfect.

Last edited:
I think he meant the stock front bump stops, not the bilstein ones.

I just used a hack saw to cut my rears. If anything I doubt buying new rear bump stops would be that expensive if you really needed to.

If anything I doubt buying new rear bump stops would be that expensive if you really needed to.

The trouble is I can't find a part number for them. I think they only come with the rear shocks. Regardless, I think I'll just cut them, my patience with the ride has worn thin.

SUCCESS! I shoehorned the stock front bump stops into the rear! Post some pics later, I need to get back to work.

I recall CS saying that fatcat motorsports would be able to source a new set of bumpstops compatible for our cars.

I spoke with them a long while back and they mentioned that they could do something for the 2. We never pursued it though.

-Derrick

When I bought my Eibachs from ZPS, I got his front bumpstops as part of the deal. I believe they were fat cat stops. Is that right Z?

I spoke with them a long while back and they mentioned that they could do something for the 2. We never pursued it though.

-Derrick

for the front yes. That was for the stock shocks with the lowering springs. The front of the bilsteins seem fine to me just the rears was too much using the stock length stops.

Awesome! How did it affect the ride?

Immensely. The downsides are it's not quite so eager to turn into corners now and there's more body roll. The upsides are the ride is vastly improved as the rear can now move and the car feels more normal and confidence inspiring. Before, going down the back roads near my house could be a pretty terrifying thing at speed. Now it feels like the two ends of the car are working together to keep me on the road.

If memory serves I think that the length of the front stop is close to how long the rears were after I cut them. I might look into that tonight while working on the 2.

Could you still use the dust boot in the rear?

Back