racing beat sway bar

marc_bachand

:
Protege5-mazdaspeed miata
just buy front and back racing beat sway bar, do i need someting special ( link, bushing, ... ) to put them on my Protege 5 ( gt ) 2003

yup. bushings, endlinks, maybe the rear subframe, and LOTS of time because the front bar is a bee-otch to remove and replace.

He doesn't need a subframe but does need the AWR brackets that are meant for the P5. I used those along with ES bushings/brackets and it's all peachy.

He doesn't need a subframe but does need the AWR brackets that are meant for the P5. I used those along with ES bushings/brackets and it's all peachy.

What size are those bushings? like 16mm or something? They fit the 20mm swaybar?

ES = Energy Suspension

I only have a rear MSP sway bar.

Haha, doh! I was over here thinking Protege ES. Lord it's time to leave work for the day!!

the Protege ES has a 21 or 22mm front bar. with the 20mm rear from the MP3/MSP, the car has a nice balance.

I think the Protege has a good feel with 25mm/20mm. (shrug) I still need to add/upgrade some more suspension pieces tho. ;)

Install the rear bar and forget about the front. Just the rear bar give the car (at least the sedans) as really nice balance. Get the longer MSP end links or the bar will flip-flop on you. If you come across the AXR Clunk-Fix brackets, those will help the bar work more effectively and eliminate the clunking you'll get from the MSP bar.

Install the rear bar and forget about the front. Just the rear bar give the car (at least the sedans) as really nice balance. Get the longer MSP end links or the bar will flip-flop on you. If you come across the AXR Clunk-Fix brackets, those will help the bar work more effectively and eliminate the clunking you'll get from the MSP bar.

the front bar is 24mm and the back bar is 20mm, this is the AWR bracket for the back that you suggest ( http://www.awrracing.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=472 ) and probablie this ( http://www.awrracing.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=253 ) and for end links, just regular MSP or get the adjustable.
for the front, bushings-brackets, end links..., what do you suggest. i am more i plus and play kind of persone ( for my MSM is all FLYINGMIATA, 241WHP )

You sure the MSP endlinks are longer?? I don't understand why they would be longer...

the front bar is 24mm and the back bar is 20mm, this is the AWR bracket for the back that you suggest ( http://www.awrracing.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=472 ) and probablie this ( http://www.awrracing.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=253 ) and for end links, just regular MSP or get the adjustable.
for the front, bushings-brackets, end links..., what do you suggest. i am more i plus and play kind of persone ( for my MSM is all FLYINGMIATA, 241WHP )

The front racingbeat swaybar is 25mm, not 24mm. And it depends, are you lowered from factory specs? If so you will want shorter endlinks to compensate for the lower suspension geometry. So adjustables can be nice. I am lowered ~ 2" and still using MSP endlinks, tho.

Having waited more than a year to install my front sway bar due to many people claiming it increases understeer, I can tell you now that I wouldn't listen to a single one of them. The MP3/MSP comes with both RB bars, and it is noticeably flatter around corners than the P5 without any extra understeer. If you are that concerned, then I suggest you install the AXR brackets (which will drastically increase the effectiveness of the rear bar) and also install the front bar. This is how my car is setup and I love it.

An added bonus of the AXR is that you don't have to deal with any of the bracket adapter bulls*** that you need otherwise. The AXR kit comes with everything needed.

For the front, I just used the stock horseshoe brackets and bushings, though I had to dremal out the bushings a bit to get the larger bar in them. Overall, my P5 is incredibly balanced and feels great. Turns on a dime with little body roll. Oh- and don't do either bar until you upgrade to Tokico Blues or risk busting an endlink tab off.

Having waited more than a year to install my front sway bar due to many people claiming it increases understeer, I can tell you now that I wouldn't listen to a single one of them. The MP3/MSP comes with both RB bars, and it is noticeably flatter around corners than the P5 without any extra understeer. If you are that concerned, then I suggest you install the AXR brackets (which will drastically increase the effectiveness of the rear bar) and also install the front bar. This is how my car is setup and I love it.

An added bonus of the AXR is that you don't have to deal with any of the bracket adapter bulls*** that you need otherwise. The AXR kit comes with everything needed.

For the front, I just used the stock horseshoe brackets and bushings, though I had to dremal out the bushings a bit to get the larger bar in them. Overall, my P5 is incredibly balanced and feels great. Turns on a dime with little body roll. Oh- and don't do either bar until you upgrade to Tokico Blues or risk busting an endlink tab off.

I'm pretty convinced that ppl who complain about understeer with the RB front swaybar don't know how to drive a fwd car... (2thumbs)

You sure the MSP endlinks are longer?? I don't understand why they would be longer...

Pretty sure.

end%20links%20MSP%20vs%20ES.JPG

I think the subframe is the same. Or at least doesn't cause a problem.

The Racing Beat rear subframe is reinforced at the mounting points for the bushing, whereas the stock one is not.

If you drive hard enough, you may be able to tear those bushings right out of their mounts.

I did 5 years of trackdays with the Racing Beat swaybar kit and zero problems.

Last edited:
I'm pretty convinced that ppl who complain about understeer with the RB front swaybar don't know how to drive a fwd car... (2thumbs)

Running a FWD car with a smaller front swaybar or disconnecting the front sway bar completely is nothing new in the autox world. People wouldn't do that if it made their car handle worse.

Latest posts

Back